Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Air conditioning in 20 passenger Excursion

Default Air conditioning in 20 passenger Excursion

Hi,
    Newbie here. I have a 20 passenger Ford Excursion that simply will not cool down enough on hot, sunny days. The a/c is working to specs, but it needs help. Considering an r/v style roof mounted unit. Does anyone have any experience/ideas with this? I have also seen the bigger blower units that are available too, and that could be an option. I'm hoping someone out there has some input.

Quote Originally Posted by americandream View Post
    Hi,
    Newbie here. I have a 20 passenger Ford Excursion that simply will not cool down enough on hot, sunny days. The a/c is working to specs, but it needs help. Considering an r/v style roof mounted unit. Does anyone have any experience/ideas with this? I have also seen the bigger blower units that are available too, and that could be an option. I'm hoping someone out there has some input.
    I've gotta 25 passenger Excursion and it's been a battle even when it was new. I just replaced the whole system and it still sucks on a hot day, especially loaded with passengers.

I don't have time, but if you do a search, you will find a great post(from Elegant I think) talking about and aftermarket condenser and extra fan or something. I was pissed I didn't know about before I replaced the stock system for buku bucks. You don't wanna go with an RV style one because it's ugly and you will have dripping water(but it would chill things nicely).
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net

Member Limo Padawan

You need to find out what temp is coming out of the vents to see if it is a "not functioning due to temp" or "not enough volume for that truck". I have added additional units to some Excursions because of the lack of air movement. One more thing to check is that the heater lines are not hot going through the units. I have run shut off valves on many and it resolved temp issues.
    It is what it is!!

Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Blog Entries

This was our post about the ac. I spoke to Archi at Alladin and this is what he told us to do. It's not great but it did help.

We have an Excursion built by Alladin . Its nice inside, never problems other than the upgrades we had to do for the A/C. You will most definately need to upgrade the a/c by adding an extra condensor, 2 10 inch fans in front 1 16 inch fan in back , 15 ft of line,and an extra lb of freon. It blows out about 64 degrees in back driving down the rd. Sitting there, well thats nothing to brag about. All excursions have that problem. They do not make a kit for adding a 2nd a/c compressor. You will like it though. We use ours for everything

1 condensor from Auto Zone for an F-250 $90.
    custom lines and fittings made at Napa $60
    3 electric fans 2 10" 1 16" & some wiring $100.
    no more bitching about the ac priceless !!!

Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Blog Entries

Thanx GL I tryed to give back but it said I have to spread it around first.

No problem. Great information for anyone with an Excursion.
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net

That does not work. The car is so big it’s so hard to cool it down, especially with passengers inside. I always make sure my Freon is full and my fans are blowing, but other than that you can’t cool them down!!
    "Girls might be able to fake orgasams, but men can fake whole relationships"

www.limoservicedenver.com

In the past here in Florida with the larger suv stretches such as the excursion we would have the same problem with not cooling very well....we would end up chaging the condesor coil from a copper style to aluminum...aluminum cools quicker ...we found that this made a huge diffrence...also on a 200" H2 we found that by moving the condensor location back a few feet from the original factory location made a diffrence...Moving it further back allowed more air to flow thru it... Krystal actually recomended moving it and and that made a huge improvement in the air...We noticed a few years later Krystal actually moved the units location at the factory level due to many complaints and warranty bills... Some units we would upgrade just the condensor fan from say a 5 blade to a 8 blade and that would allow for more air flow....Sometimes its just hard and some cars cool better then others..Its allways a battle here in Florida...

Member Limo Padawan AClassLuxuryLimos's Avatar

Hi guys,
    I had the same problem with a 20 pass Lincoln Navigator.
    We added the fans up front and added an extra condenser but no luck.
    I had my business in California at that time. In Riverside to be exact.
    Sometimes it would get up to 110 in the summer. It was an oven.
    I had no issues with my Escalade nor my Hummer.
    I'm glad I got rid of that vehicle. I feel the pain Americandream.
    All I could say is open the windows when it get to HOT...... Just kidding.
    Good Luck.... Keep us posted on your situation.

aclassluxurylimos
    www.acluxurylimos.com
    Jorvin R.
    A Class Luxury Limousine Service
    www.aclassluxurylimos.com
    San Antonio, TX

Default Rooftop a/c

Quote Originally Posted by americandream View Post
    Hi,
    Newbie here. I I have also seen the bigger blower units that are available too, and that could be an option. I'm hoping someone out there has some input.
    Every RV and full size Motorcoach that I have seen/sold with rooftop mounted a/c has them running off a generator. There is no place to mount either a gas or diesel operated generator on an Excursion.
    Rick E.
    City Limousine Sales
    √XTS Livery Sedans√Escalade ESV Livery Package SUV's√Lincoln & Cadillac Limousines & Funeral Coaches by Federal Coach√GMC Professional Grade SUV's & 15 Passenger Vans√Cadillac & Buick Passenger Cars, Crossovers, and SUV's.

~Stupidity might be hereditary, but ignorance should be painful!~

www.citylimosales.com

Senior Member Limo Padawan Jazzy Girl's Avatar

American who built your vehicle and what year is it? Do you know what type or brand A/C or heating units are in the vehicle and how many? Same with the condensors?
    Annette

"Everything starts with the right set of wheels, let limogirl.net get you rolling"
    www.limogirl.net

200" Navigator with AC issues, vents blow 40-44 degree air from divider vents, outlet hoses from the 2 evaporators to the back with 3 outlets per side underneath the seats + vents up to the seat backs. Cools fine until you get about half way back and there is at least a 10 degree increase in the temp. The front facing rear seat (there isn't a third seat) is fine because there are 2 outlets directed at it.

Single compressor, 1 condenser with dual fans in front, 1 condenser underneath the passenger side. I've even cannabalized another Navigator to install the rear roof ac unit. Still doesn't do the job.

Would moving one of the evaporators further back do anything to improve cooling?

Additional Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy01 View Post
    200" Navigator with AC issues, vents blow 40-44 degree air from divider vents, outlet hoses from the 2 evaporators to the back with 3 outlets per side underneath the seats + vents up to the seat backs. Cools fine until you get about half way back and there is at least a 10 degree increase in the temp. The front facing rear seat (there isn't a third seat) is fine because there are 2 outlets directed at it.

Single compressor, 1 condenser with dual fans in front, 1 condenser underneath the passenger side. I've even cannabalized another Navigator to install the rear roof ac unit. Still doesn't do the job.

Would moving one of the evaporators further back do anything to improve cooling?

Additional Ideas?
    WOW...A 200" with a single compressor...OUCH..thats the 1st problem... In Florida that thing would be a sweat box.. Do you know if the evap coils are copper or aluminium ?? Aluminium cools quicker....I dont think moving them would help much in this case...Thats just a BIG stretch for ONE compressor too cool..... As far as a rear roof top why didnt that work??

Senior Member Limo Padawan MrGoldwing's Avatar

Oh yeah....most limos in FL have dual compressors. I suggest getting an extra compressor for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Krdalstr View Post
    WOW...A 200" with a single compressor...OUCH..thats the 1st problem... In Florida that thing would be a sweat box.. Do you know if the evap coils are copper or aluminium ?? Aluminium cools quicker....As far as a rear roof top why didnt that work??
    Not a rear roof top unit, it's a rear factory unit...the one that mounts over/behind the L rear wheel well.

So anybody got a picture of where you mount a 2nd compressor?