Thread: 1970s era Entertainment Electronics in Limousines

Default 1970s era Entertainment Electronics in Limousines

I'm trying to perform a mild restoration on a late 70s era Lincoln Town Car 60" stretch. Does anyone here remember what types and brands of electronics coach builders typically installed in the rear? What type and brand of televisions, radios, VCRs, phones, intercoms, refrigerators, 8-track players, and other gingerbread were typically found in the late 70s limousines? Were they all 12V electronics or were they all 120V running off of a converter back then?
    Thanks.

Blog Entries

The famous Pioneer Super tuner radio's..Late 70's beta players for the TV's. Realist TV's from Tandy or Radio Shack. Sony Tv's but they were very Expensive I don't think they were around till 80 something. Push button electronic drink dispensers (very Retro and sticky, with the bottles behind the front passenger seat with the plastic hoses running the length of the Vehicle. Good buddy lighting (strip light) Velour interiors were real big back then. Always had the ice cooler system as far as I can remember. Phones were Bell with the dial's then moved to touch tone. Boomerang antenna of course.

Smile 60"

That would have to be a Special Order as the standard production size was 36" in those days. Which coachbuilder ? Ken Boyar of LCW can answer the rest of your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougars 2 go View Post
    I'm trying to perform a mild restoration on a late 70s era Lincoln Town Car 60" stretch. Does anyone here remember what types and brands of electronics coach builders typically installed in the rear? What type and brand of televisions, radios, VCRs, phones, intercoms, refrigerators, 8-track players, and other gingerbread were typically found in the late 70s limousines? Were they all 12V electronics or were they all 120V running off of a converter back then?
    Thanks.
    Dean Schuler

Ha!

If you put a Beta-Max player in, I have lots of old tapes you can use for bachelor parties etc.

Did you get the interior woodwork you were discussing completed yet?

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Schuler View Post
    That would have to be a Special Order as the standard production size was 36" in those days. Which coachbuilder ? Ken Boyar of LCW can answer the rest of your questions.
    I wish I knew the coach builder. It looks like a good build.

Quote Originally Posted by Salicete View Post
    Ha!

If you put a Beta-Max player in, I have lots of old tapes you can use for bachelor parties etc.

Did you get the interior woodwork you were discussing completed yet?
    Was Beta-Max around in the 70s or did that come around early-mid '80s?
    The interior woodwork is the last step. I'm working on getting all the trim off and getting the fenders, doors and other body panels off to get it ready for paint. I found a paint shop with a booth long enough where I won't have to pay a fortune - Maaco. I just want to remove as much as possible to give them an easier job which should help for a better turnout. I've had a car painted at Maaco before and it turns out pretty good if you remove all the trim yourself. After paint, then new vinyl roof. After that, then it's time to assemble my interior. I've got most of the interior already removed.

I'll be balancing between modern and retro so I'm planning all that now, coming up with a layout, then I'll have to draw myself a wiring diagram, figure out where to mount everything, figure out dimensions so the new bar and woodwork can accommodate the new/retro accessories, then have the headliner installed, bar built, then I'll install the bar, all the electronics, climate control, ductwork, wiring, amps, on and on and on. Oh, and I'll be putting in new sound deadener throughout as well.

I would have never guessed on the push-button electronic drink dispensers. Were they modern for the times or were they 50s retro in the 70s?

Here's the car. It's the white one. I'm painting it charcoal metallic like the other one.
    Last edited by Cougars 2 go; March 24th, 2011 at 02:05 PM.

Blog Entries

Betamax was Sony's brand name came out in the late 70's you could also go with a Phillips VCR these also were out in the late 70's. Beautiful car's Brother I would consider buying them both off of you. Are you sure you want to paint the one black? I kind of like the Ying Yang combination of two retro's Black for the Men White for the Ladies. I am serious about my offer, think about it or at least think of me if you ever do decide to sell. Again Beautiful rides!!! Hey is the Black one shorter?

Blog Entries

That is so cool, makes me flashback to the old Mannix and other cops TV shows of the 70's.

Hard call, I'm not sure which would be better, retro interior and exterior or retro exterior with new-school interior. Either way should be pretty cool.

Where is "Huggie-Bear" ??

Smile Stretch Length

We make it out to be a 42" stretch. Dean Schuler Richard Ramis

Quote Originally Posted by Cougars 2 go View Post
    Thanks for everyone's input so far.

I wish I knew the coach builder. It looks like a good build.

Was Beta-Max around in the 70s or did that come around early-mid '80s?
    The interior woodwork is the last step. I'm working on getting all the trim off and getting the fenders, doors and other body panels off to get it ready for paint. I found a paint shop with a booth long enough where I won't have to pay a fortune - Maaco. I just want to remove as much as possible to give them an easier job which should help for a better turnout. I've had a car painted at Maaco before and it turns out pretty good if you remove all the trim yourself. After paint, then new vinyl roof. After that, then it's time to assemble my interior. I've got most of the interior already removed.

I'll be balancing between modern and retro so I'm planning all that now, coming up with a layout, then I'll have to draw myself a wiring diagram, figure out where to mount everything, figure out dimensions so the new bar and woodwork can accommodate the new/retro accessories, then have the headliner installed, bar built, then I'll install the bar, all the electronics, climate control, ductwork, wiring, amps, on and on and on. Oh, and I'll be putting in new sound deadener throughout as well.

I would have never guessed on the push-button electronic drink dispensers. Were they modern for the times or were they 50s retro in the 70s?

Here's the car. It's the white one. I'm painting it charcoal metallic like the other one.
    Dean Schuler

Quote Originally Posted by MrQ45Limo View Post
    Betamax was Sony's brand name came out in the late 70's you could also go with a Phillips VCR these also were out in the late 70's. Beautiful car's Brother I would consider buying them both off of you. Are you sure you want to paint the one black? I kind of like the Ying Yang combination of two retro's Black for the Men White for the Ladies. I am serious about my offer, think about it or at least think of me if you ever do decide to sell. Again Beautiful rides!!! Hey is the Black one shorter?
    Thank you for the compliments. One's charcoal metallic with a black vinyl top and I sold it to an overseas buyer. I'm painting the white one charcoal metallic and having a new vinyl top put on. Hope to have the exterior wrapped up by fall. I'm keeping that one but should anything in life come up, I'll keep you in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Schuler View Post
    We make it out to be a 42" stretch. Dean Schuler Richard Ramis
    If you are talking about the gray one, it is a 36" measurement from the front edge of the center panel to the front edge of the rear door. If you are talking about the white one, it's just shy of 60" from the front edge of the center panel to the front edge of the rear door. Also, considering the door to the building directly behind it is at least 36" that should be a dead giveaway as to its size.
    Remember, these cars are already large - 20 foot sedans from the factory and a beam often found in marinas so if you are comparing to the hood, trunk and doors, you have to remember this isn't a little Town Car.
    Last edited by Cougars 2 go; April 15th, 2009 at 04:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Cougars, I love vintage, and I am sure I can make room for a cream puff such as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by MrQ45Limo View Post
    Cool Cougars, I love vintage, and I am sure I can make room for a cream puff such as yours.
    Thanks again. Still in the paint process right now. Boy did that roof look nasty when the vinyl came off. Looked like Swiss cheese above the windshield...going to have new metal welded in there. The coach builder used a lot of filler over the whole roof and pillars. Basically skim-coated the whole roof. The quality of work on the fabricated roof pillars isn't that impressive. Is that normal?
    I could make a small fortune in recycled metal prices if I took the truckload of chrome and stainless trim I have in my basement and garage right now. It's going to be a few years until the finished project is posted because of my availability to work on it.

Never heard back from Dean Schuler Richard Ramis who mistakenly estimated the white limo for a 42" stretch. While 36" was the norm back then by companies like Maloney, I have seen some pictures on the web of what seem to be 42" and rarely seen some pictures of ~60" Lincolns from the late 70's.
    Again, just look at the side profile with that commercial door right behind the center panel. Building code requires a 36" minimum for those doors and that door is obviously much smaller than the center portion of my car. If my car was a 42" there wouldn't be as much metal on either side of the building door behind it.
    But consistent with what you said, I think there is a chance my car was built in the 80s. When the major car companies shrank their cars, the limo industry had to get used to smaller and narrower cars. Some coach builders tried adding width with awkward looking widening techniques but I suspect some others stretched older used Lincolns from the 70s to preserve that interior width. I'm only guessing on that part about stretching 70s cars in the 80s but I bet several folks here may have more insight on the limo-building techniques from that time. Bottom line is, I suspect my limo was stretched in the 80s when the "norm" was longer hence the length of my extension being longer than most 70s Lincoln limos.
    Last edited by Cougars 2 go; August 10th, 2009 at 08:45 PM.

In my long term plan is to get an awesome looking old limo like this and redo the interior modern.

My offers still stands, Get her one the road and you can run her in my fleet and make some $$$ off it.

PS, see you next weekend.