Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: getting started

Quote Originally Posted by tooklean View Post
    Any business venture takes time and effort to get it going properly and i realize this however, I think if you have 1 good car old new or somewhere in between you can make it work. I just dont feel you need 100,000 dollars to get rolling You should be able to run the existing car that you have and put that money back into the business and gradually buy newer cars hire multiple drivers etc... in other words grow steady not to quickly.

Won't work with that attitude anyway. I sure as hell would not rent a 1992. thats pushin 20 years old....blllah

Quote Originally Posted by tooklean View Post
    Any business venture takes time and effort to get it going properly and i realize this however, I think if you have 1 good car old new or somewhere in between you can make it work. I just dont feel you need 100,000 dollars to get rolling You should be able to run the existing car that you have and put that money back into the business and gradually buy newer cars hire multiple drivers etc... in other words grow steady not to quickly.
    Another option is to start up your company, and as the orders roll in, farm out to local affiliates. That way you can see if you can get business and get your commission then get your own cars.

I wouldn't use that 92 limo because that will make your company look bad. People will say "thats the company that had that old ass limo"

Quote Originally Posted by First Class Limos View Post
    First of all you will be ILLEGAL! You need to get approved by the PA PUC which will take 6-12 months of paperwork and inspections. It took us 18+ months its like an audit to the worst degree.
    Yeah...so my 4 to 8 weeks was a little bit of an underestimate. Since I am not from PA, I didn't know. I was going off a couple other references from other states.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Blog Entries

Listen my friend, this vehicle is a 1992. It may look fine and may run good. But you are not the one who is renting this car. This is at best a good private vehicle maybe even a resturant shuttle car. If you start running this car you will see what we are trying to warn you about. Ball Joints and controll arm bushings, Drive shaft U joints, center bearings, Tranny issues, electrical parts, these are just a few things we deal with sometimes on a monthly basis, Now you are talking about a vehicle from 1992 with 300000 miles on her. I know you mentioned the newer motor, but a limousine is not just the motor. If you want to make a quick buck and think you can make your 4 or 5 thousand back in a couple months, I have to be brutaly honest, You are fooling yourself. I do not want to burst your bubble or discourage you, I just want to give you some sound advise. This business being proms or weddings or corporate takes time networking and research, not to mention others at times to help. What limousine service would risk sending you work knowing the year of your vehicle and the probability that the vehicle could very well break down. 1992 was a good year for the Lincoln Town Car it was a pretty good car in it's day, trust me when I say this vehicle can most assuredly be still used, but I would say as I had before this vehicle would be better off staying in the private sector or maybe as a shuttle type of vehicle. This deal could end up making enemies out of you and your relation, are you also prepaired for that scenario? dealing with family and friends can be very destuctive. Either way good luck, and think this thing thru, don't be tempted by what appears to be a quick way to make a quick buck. The people on this site have many many years of experience under their belts and are willing to take the time and with out personal cost give you some sound, free, and worthy advise, Please take these warnings and suggestions to heart before making a rash and what could potentionally be a costly mistake.

Thanks for the reality check. I do tend to focus a lot on the green stuff before doing all of the leg work at times. You mentioned a shuttle service how does this differ from a limo service? Then you mentioned private sector? Do you mean using the car for family/ friends stuff like that?

I know when people call here, first two questions, do you have this, and what year is it. 92 won't fly my friend, take the advice of MrQ. Look for other options.

Blog Entries

Around our city we have some comedy clubs and some resturants that purchase these older cars to shuttle their customers from local hotels and park & rides...They put their vinyal graphics and logo's on them and also use them for rolling advertising. Get them to purchase the said vehicle and talk them into letting you be their driver, while you get used to this action if you like it start handing out Business cards and start setting things up. You can farm out runs untill you can actually purchase something a little more up to date. Using older Limousines for family and friends never has a time restraint. I just had a client call me and ask if I had anything retro for a movie that was going to be shot in our area. They needed something from the late 80's for a movie and the vehicle had to match the year. These are the pix they could choose from 1984 Lincoln Armbruster or a 1986 Lincoln Maloney or a 1988 Mercedes Benz SEL 500 built by the Krass Brothers. Not all old limousines were scrapped, these are "Vintage Classic 1980's Limousines" I would never want these to be run on a daily basis although they probably could.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Since I operate in the state of Pa, I will chime in for some assistance. You cannot operate or runa car in Pa until you have a limousine certificate issued to you from the PUC, and you insurance is commercial grade with $1.5 million liability coverage. Your vehicle will need to pass inspection, but will not be able to operate by this time next year becuase the PUC is enacting new regs on year and mileage of fleet vehicles.

But if you want to gamble, operate illlegally, and take the chance of getting caught. The livery world can always use some more gypsies to chase and complain about!
    Philadelphia Limousine Guy

Quote Originally Posted by MrQ45Limo View Post
    Around our city we have some comedy clubs and some resturants that purchase these older cars to shuttle their customers from local hotels and park & rides...They put their vinyal graphics and logo's on them and also use them for rolling advertising. Get them to purchase the said vehicle and talk them into letting you be their driver, while you get used to this action if you like it start handing out Business cards and start setting things up. You can farm out runs untill you can actually purchase something a little more up to date. Using older Limousines for family and friends never has a time restraint. I just had a client call me and ask if I had anything retro for a movie that was going to be shot in our area. They needed something from the late 80's for a movie and the vehicle had to match the year. These are the pix they could choose from 1984 Lincoln Armbruster or a 1986 Lincoln Maloney or a 1988 Mercedes Benz SEL 500 built by the Krass Brothers. Not all old limousines were scrapped, these are "Vintage Classic 1980's Limousines" I would never want these to be run on a daily basis although they probably could.

I'd LOVE a late 80's LTC, BLACK, for myslef....be effin sweeet! I know the BLB will approve

Blog Entries

The 1984 has 94,220 original miles and the 1986 has 120,340 also original miles these are my cream puff classics. The Benz was purchased through a drug seizure goverment auction. 64,000 miles on it, we got it for $30,000. She now has 115,300 miles on her and trust me she still can draw the eye, and she runs out great!
    Last edited by MrQ45Limo; April 13th, 2009 at 08:07 PM.

I want that mercedes limo!

Blog Entries

This was one of the first Mercedes in the Milwaukee area back in 1992