Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NLA's Big Legislative Projects

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyLimoGuy View Post
    At least we know that the NLA (Sorci) will be working hard as a political enforcer to clean up Florida's regulating bodies and HR lawsuits.
    Are you making a funny?
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Quote Originally Posted by gunny View Post
    Are you making a funny?
    Did I make you laugh Gunny?
    Philadelphia Limousine Guy

Did I make you laugh Gunny?
    Good thing I didn't have a mouthful of coffee

BTW, based on what I have read, I do admire the PRLA

Maybe you have insight that differs but it seems they & the Prez at least take swings at regulatory abuse

James H. Joseph
    Joseph Law Offices, P.C.
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    jhjoseph@joseph.law.pro

I could not grasp 100% why certain FEDEX Operation Drivers were even trying to claim to be employees.

They basically purchase the routes from other drivers, purchase the trucks or take over the lease from the route seller, though other allowances are given... the paycheck is based on number of parcels delivered (per piece), their day starts whenever & ends when all deliveries are made, minimal supervision etc.. The heaviest restriction is that the trucks stay at the terminal in the evenings for loading.

At least this was the deal when the wife had her route with FEDEX Ground.

Good thing I didn't have a mouthful of coffee

BTW, based on what I have read, I do admire the PRLA

Maybe you have insight that differs but it seems they & the Prez at least take swings at regulatory abuse
    The PRLA is lightyears ahead of where it used to be 5 years ago. New leadership from Philip has really made a strong emphasis on fighting the powers that be.
    Philadelphia Limousine Guy

Default "Fights for the Rights of Limousine Operators"

The PRLA is lightyears ahead of where it used to be 5 years ago. New leadership from Philip has really made a strong emphasis on fighting the powers that be.
    WELCOME TO THE PRLA ONLINE

As an organization, it also fights for the rights of limousine operators across the Delaware Valley by maintaining strong ties with regulators, hospitality venues and the Philadelphia International Airport.

http://www.prlamembers.com/

Philip was the only one running for Directorship of the NLA with a track record of fighting against what the Boroday's & Sorci's of the Industry embrace. It's too bad he didn't attract the votes.
    Last edited by gunny; April 26th, 2009 at 04:03 PM.

Angry Achievements

Gunny, What has the NLA achieved in the last 10 years ?

WELCOME TO THE PRLA ONLINE

As an organization, it also fights for the rights of limousine operators across the Delaware Valley by maintaining strong ties with regulators, hospitality venues and the Philadelphia International Airport.

http://www.prlamembers.com/

Philip was the only one running for Directorship of the NLA with a track record of fighting against what the Boroday's & Sorci's of the Industry embrace. It's too bad he didn't attract the votes.
    Dean Schuler

Default Does this Count As An Achievement?

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Schuler View Post
    Gunny, What has the NLA achieved in the last 10 years ?
    Maintaining their distinct position as 2d fiddler to the TLPA?

Blog Entries

RE: New York State Sales Tax

NLA President Ron Sorci said the national organization is available for any support New York area associations need in handling a predominantly local and regional issue.

Yea, sure; we'll see about that.

This is something that is going to cause a lot of heartache statewide. Our new association prez is really trying to take a stance on this (Barwell, in article) but we will see. He has involved bus and taxi companies in our association but they are not affected and I dont see that they really give a crap. Bus and Taxi are a whole different animal than limousines and I do not see where all of this combo crap is coming from. I guess I need to start evolving. We stand alone on this issue as limo operators with no support from the industry as a whole.

http://lctmag.com/news/news-story.cfm?id=2744

I don't mind the tax itself, I do not like the fact that there is no exemption for us when buying parts, getting repairs or any other normal tax issue afforded to those that collect the tax on behalf of the state.
    Last edited by Jim30; May 5th, 2009 at 08:34 AM.

Default Key Element........ "Luxury"

discriminates against "luxury-based chauffeured transportation"

Luxury is a "nicety" & not a "necessity". The Clique's of the Industry have been pushing the elitism of the "luxury limousine industry" far too long to back-peddle & start yelling that they also provide a "vital" service that cannot be accomplished by the "non-luxury" ground transportation crowd. Hence some sort of taxation on "luxury transportation" is fair & equitable.

If a group of 15 needs transportation & wants to avoid a sales tax, they can just as easily charter a bus v. chartering a luxury Stretch SUV. In fact, bus coachbuilders may find a new maket to expand on.
    Last edited by gunny; May 5th, 2009 at 08:52 AM.

Blog Entries

Gunny, OK fine I see your point about those who utilize our services; however, why should we as operators suffer and not get the same privi's afforded to us as the corner store that collects sales tax? They buy soda and chips for resale and do not pay tax. We buy cars and they want us to still pay the tax. Chips and soda are tools of the store's trade. Cars and parts are tools of our trade. All the while bus and taxi operators are exempt.
    Last edited by Jim30; May 5th, 2009 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim30 View Post
    Gunny, OK fine I see your point about those who utilize our services; however, why should we as operators suffer and not get the same privi's afforded to us as the corner store that collects sales tax? They buy soda and chips for resale and do not pay tax. We buy cars and they want us to still pay the tax. Chips and soda are tools of the store's trade. Cars and parts are tools of our trade. All the while bus and taxi operators are exempt.
    Again, I bring forth strictly a "nicety" v. "necessity" scenario. Remembering that I do have a federal lawsuit in play under an Interstate Commerce Claim that in part charges Tampa with imposing a socieconomic discriminatory regulation of limiting partially blind grandma 70 miles removed from Tampa International to "luxury limousines" & if grandma can't afford the tab, tough shit.

I claim all operating expenses on federal tax returns & maybe you're referencing NYS tax code for not being able to claim same exemptions allowed on federal? Could it again be "luxury" businesses are not viewed as a public necessity v. taxi cab services hauling elderly folks to doctors appointments & the corner store providing life & health substaining products (food, hygiene products etc.. ) ? I would say this is a different issue that can be explored on a "business discrimination" context.

Blog Entries

I am referring to this parts of the aforementioned NYS sales tax issue referenced in these parts of the LCT Article:

Nearby New Jersey added a 7% sales tax on transportation services three years ago. Since then, the Limousine Associations of New Jersey has been battling to get the tax rescinded and believes that they will achieve a breakthrough by June 2010.

and

Meanwhile, operators are getting ready to suffer if there is no immediate cancellation of the tax or exemption amendment.

and

To the benefit of New Jersey limousine operators, they have a rolling stock exemption which relieves them from paying taxes on vehicles purchased for their businesses, and parts and materials used for operations. New York does not have such a rolling stock exemption.

..........the rolling stock exemption. There is none in this tax law.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim30 View Post
    To the benefit of New Jersey limousine operators, they have a rolling stock exemption which relieves them from paying taxes on vehicles purchased for their businesses, and parts and materials used for operations. New York does not have such a rolling stock exemption. [/i]

..........the rolling stock exemption. There is none in this tax law.
    What I would ask is if ... for example , a NYS limo operator purchases a new battery & pays a tax on that battery. Wouldn't the entire purchase cost, including the tax paid be a deduction on the federal return? Same , same with the tax paid on the purchase of a vehicle & all associated operating costs including licensing & permitting fees?