Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal limo

Default Personal limo

We have an older 6 pax which we have taken out of the fleet. i believe its a 2002 or 01. The car is paid off and we have had no luck selling it either. There is also no insurance or tags on it, basically collecting dust.

Question is, can someone just put regular plates on it and just drive it around? Reason for asking is I have a cousin who is driving down to Florida and mentioned how nice it would be if he could take such a car with the extra room etc. I told him I dont mind but dont know about the plates or how insurance would work.

Any thoughts on this?

Going to have to tag it, yes you can tag a limo as a personal car. But you better not get caught picking up pax for a fee with it.
    I want to die while asleep like my grandfather,
    not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

Make sure it's in your name (not company) and put a "private" sticker on it.
    Put Pimpin Kevin White in Jail, Abolishing the HCPTC.
    Moshe Leib

how would i get insurance for it? just insure an 02 towncar?

Yes, you can. Many people have privately owned limousines. The only hurdle might be convincing the insurance company that the car would not be operated for-hire, and some are reluctant to insure stretches.

The tags are the easy part, as most Motor Vehicle Administration employees will just think it is an ordinary Lincoln.

Blog Entries

Around here there are many people with older limousines for personal use. Since the title normally doesn't state "Limousine" on it you can get standard car plates and standard car insurance for one without a problem.

This is a problem in Ohio though, too many gypsy's do just this then call it a business and rent it out. I feel sorry for the clients of these "companies" if something happens because standard car insurance doesn't have to pay any claim made while the vehicle was being used "for-hire".

Blog Entries

I have a Limousine for private use, as far as the Insurance Company is concerned it can only be valued as a regular Vehicle,,,Example..02 Lincoln Town Car Valued as full replacement value of JUST THAT an 02 Lincoln Town Car, even though it is stretched, and it may increase it's value up to $10,000.00 more. As Far as DMV is concerned it is a Lincoln Town Car,,,,Or Caddy,,,or what ever. I actually use a different insurance company than my Business insurance just so there is no missunderstanding..State Farm Insurance will not insure a commercial vehicle, but as a private vehicle No Problem.

The DMV determines what the vehicle is by the VIN. For most stretch Lincoln TCs, the first few characters are 1LNHM88 meaning that it is a Lincoln Town Car Executive Series. The 10th digit will tell you the year of the car. If it is a 1, it is a 2001. A 2 would be for a 2002. 2000 and earlier use letters.

Anyway...more with the VIN. I think all LTCs start 1LNHM8# where # is another number. Now, Ford has changed the various lines of LTCs, for example the Designer Series replaced the Cartier. M88 is for the Executive Series. M81 is for Sig Series. M82 typically for Sig. Limited series. M83 for Designer or Cartier. So...just a little info about VIN. There is also another letter for that is the engine code, but I won't bore you with that.

So, Ali, you should be able to tell the year just by looking at the VIN. Also, the DMV only sees the M8* and doesn't see that it is stretched at all. The insurance will see the same unless you tell them that the car has an increased value.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

I know a guy in town who bought a 93 8 pax and he uses it for driving his 6 kids around lol. I thought it was a great idea
    "Girls might be able to fake orgasams, but men can fake whole relationships"

www.limoservicedenver.com

Blog Entries

Hey I can put 10 foot boards in my limousine,,,My truck only 6 footers...I get a lot of wierd looks at the local HOME DEPOT. When I get comments in the parking lot I explain that these are very expensive Materials..LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MrQ45Limo View Post
    Hey I can put 10 foot boards in my limousine,,,My truck only 6 footers...I get a lot of wierd looks at the local HOME DEPOT. When I get comments in the parking lot I explain that these are very expensive Materials..LOL
    *sigh*
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    The DMV determines what the vehicle is by the VIN. For most stretch Lincoln TCs, the first few characters are 1LNHM88 meaning that it is a Lincoln Town Car Executive Series. The 10th digit will tell you the year of the car. If it is a 1, it is a 2001. A 2 would be for a 2002. 2000 and earlier use letters.

Anyway...more with the VIN. I think all LTCs start 1LNHM8# where # is another number.
    Its the ninth number from the front or eighth from the end that tells you the year.

In regards to the insurance, most personal lines insurance companies will not insure a limousine (at least not knowingly). State Farm is one of the few that I know of that will insure a stretch on a personal auto policy (obviously any for-hire use is excluded just as with any other personal auto policy). It is advisable that you explain to the agent exactly what is being insured because you would much rather find out that they do not insure limousines prior to binding rather than after a claim is denied. As was mentioned previously, when the VIN is run, the ACV of the vehicle is that of exactly what the VIN is too--a sedan. It is important that if physical damage coverage is desired that it be written rated on either stated or agreed value.
    Providing insurance to the transportation industry since 1884.

Phil T. Brun
    Kiely, Hines & Associates Insurance
    800-295-1897 Ext. 2756
    502-569-2756 Direct
    pbrun@kielyhines.com

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Insurance King View Post
    Its the ninth number from the front or eighth from the end that tells you the year.
    Phil, for all vehicles manufactured since 1981, it is the 10th digit that tells you the year. Besides, in a 17 character VIN, the 9th digit from the front and the 8th digit from the end are not the same digit.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQ <- 9th from front is I. 8th from end is J.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

I will call the insurance company and see how much to insure the slightly larger towncar. So i assume if insured i would get regular passenger plates?