Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which Limo software?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kirk@kirkstowncar.com:
    ... Fast Trac is supposed to have an upgrade to there presesnt 3.0 version next week. I wasn't happy to see that Fast-Trac didn't show the addresses on the disp. page. You have to click on each reserv. to see the address for each reserv. seperatly, not a happy thought when you're having to scramble when flights are coming in all screwed-up. The Newer version is supposed to take care of that problem as well as provide some other benefits. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simply right click on the desired trip on the dispatch page. A summary of all the trip details will appear at the lower half of the screen. That has always been there in both versions 2 and 3 as far as I recall.

I'm giving Surfside's latest another look since I think there are some great improvements over the previous offerings.

But as said elsewhere, there really is no single solution since we all may have different needs. Each available program has strengths and weaknesses. The weakness with most is support. And then the fact that anyone involved with technological products often don't have their stuff together before they offer it.

Karl

[This message has been edited by Karl (edited 08-28-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Limo4Limo:
    After months of searching for a software that does it all, I have finally found one.
    This program was designed by an IBM programmer here in Florida with one of the owners of a large Limousine company. They worked together for months on the design. She gave him trip sheets, reservation forms, billing info, accounting problems, commision rates, referral percentages, multi clients for one billed company, individual billed account, Credit Card0 on file, and everything else you can come up with. He took it all and designed a program to do it all. From easy pulldown windows, to all the airlines in the world listings. As an owner myself I know we all do our business a little different. One pays their drivers hourly and another pays percentage. You bill your clients monthly while I bill them weekly or by job. This program is custom designed to your needs without additional cost. I'm only writing this to all my fellow owners because I don't want you to waste months searching for something that you can't find. I was lucky to find this program, my staff loves it and the best part is that an owner like me can learn how to use it too. For more info e-mail me @Limo4Limo@aol.com and I will pass the your info onto the programmer for him to contact you.

Marvin Kessler
    President
    Your Limousine, Inc.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reading this thread in regards to livery coach really makes me laugh. There isnt a software product on the market that doesnt have bugs or problems especially livery windows software. The company I consult for has had livery coach since April of 98` starting with version 3.0 then to 3.5. The company is doing 150+ jobs a day and there was some situation with orginal livery handling locks in the database but that was a issue with Microsoft Access 2.0 not livery coach. There were also situations with the number of users being online at the same time would cause the system to hang and sometimes the data would be corrupted. Well if you have any experiences with any type of database that it happens..Even with access 7.0 and 8.0. Lets face it livery 3.5 worked fine for small end companies with less that 6 workstations and who were doing less than 50 jobs a day.

So then the day came that they went out of business. Pretty hectic day I might say. I remeber a emergency page coming through on my pager that day. So we discussed looking into another package and at the time did not find one that would integrate into an accounting package like livery does. We were even on the phone with surfside who wanted our help in developing a Livery conversion program. To make a long story we managed to get a hold of people at livery coach and asked them about their 4.0 SQL versioned of Livery Coach which was is beta which we were supposed to test for them before they went out of business. With the excellent help from the livery coach staff and my expertise in hardware and netowking we came to develop what is now a very stable version of 4.0 and our company is one of the companies that own the source code to livery coach. So far the system running under SQL server has run flawlessly for over 2 years now..We can have an unlimited amount of user
    on the system. We have never locked up,crashed, nothing..Yes it was quite a bit of money but well worth for the capabilities. I have to admit alot of it was about having the proper network and hardware specs for performace was a big key. if anyone would like any information please feel free to email with any questions or comments..

Sean
    Administrator@ambassadorlimousine.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sean:
    Reading this thread in regards to livery coach really makes me laugh. There isnt a software product on the market that doesnt have bugs or problems especially livery windows software. The company I consult for has had livery coach since April of 98` starting with version 3.0 then to 3.5. The company is doing 150+ jobs a day and there was some situation with orginal livery handling locks in the database but that was a issue with Microsoft Access 2.0 not livery coach. There were also situations with the number of users being online at the same time would cause the system to hang and sometimes the data would be corrupted. Well if you have any experiences with any type of database that it happens..Even with access 7.0 and 8.0. Lets face it livery 3.5 worked fine for small end companies with less that 6 workstations and who were doing less than 50 jobs a day.

So then the day came that they went out of business. Pretty hectic day I might say. I remeber a emergency page coming through on my pager that day. So we discussed looking into another package and at the time did not find one that would integrate into an accounting package like livery does. We were even on the phone with surfside who wanted our help in developing a Livery conversion program. To make a long story we managed to get a hold of people at livery coach and asked them about their 4.0 SQL versioned of Livery Coach which was is beta which we were supposed to test for them before they went out of business. With the excellent help from the livery coach staff and my expertise in hardware and netowking we came to develop what is now a very stable version of 4.0 and our company is one of the companies that own the source code to livery coach. So far the system running under SQL server has run flawlessly for over 2 years now..We can have an unlimited amount of user
    on the system. We have never locked up,crashed, nothing..Yes it was quite a bit of money but well worth for the capabilities. I have to admit alot of it was about having the proper network and hardware specs for performace was a big key. if anyone would like any information please feel free to email with any questions or comments..

Sean
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sean give me a break! I kept hearing for over a year that Livery Coach version 4.0 was coming any day now. Who wants to spend a fortune helping develop software that doesnt work as already promised? And by the way Livery Coach supplied the Microsoft Access database with the product. It's their fault for picking that particular database.

I got so damned tired of hearing their excuses and promises. Sean are you sure your last name isnt Black??????

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wade:
    Sean give me a break! I kept hearing for over a year that Livery Coach version 4.0 was coming any day now. Who wants to spend a fortune helping develop software that doesnt work as already promised? And by the way Livery Coach supplied the Microsoft Access database with the product. It's their fault for picking that particular database.

I got so damned tired of hearing their excuses and promises. Sean are you sure your last name isnt Black??????
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Orginally yes they did supply the access 2.0 database. So if you have any computer knowlegde you should know this that all the other products including foxpro,paradox, and some others all had the same problem. With amount of users and data. Out of all those database the best support your going to find out there is with Access. But then 3.5 patch came out if you recall which converted the data from 2.0 to 7.0 which gave the database alot of stability. See I can tell you are talking from ignorance just jump on the bandwagon. Being a consultant for other limo companies I have seen alot of things such as lack of a IS dept and lack of any knowlegde of computers. This paticular company was willing to spend the money and resources to continue the development of excellent package which does everything we want it to do now. As I said look at the record 2 years and running on 4.0 no problems. Most limousine companies are still on Dos or linux based systems.

And wade no my last name isn't black. You really need to get your head out of your ass and think that maybe you didnt have the resources to do what the other companies did with 4.0. Most succesful companies build their own software to suit their needs. Like boston coach, carrie, etc. Livery was a good product that was easily adpated towards the needs of their users if the users understand with an open mind and had some computer knowledge and had the resources of developers and knowing what they want. If you just wanted a open the box and go software that has a set source code in which no one is willing to develop in any way that thats your way.. We chose to be successful..

Sean (Not black either)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sean:
    Orginally yes they did supply the access 2.0 database. So if you have any computer knowlegde you should know this that all the other products including foxpro,paradox, and some others all had the same problem. With amount of users and data. Out of all those database the best support your going to find out there is with Access. But then 3.5 patch came out if you recall which converted the data from 2.0 to 7.0 which gave the database alot of stability. See I can tell you are talking from ignorance just jump on the bandwagon. Being a consultant for other limo companies I have seen alot of things such as lack of a IS dept and lack of any knowlegde of computers. This paticular company was willing to spend the money and resources to continue the development of excellent package which does everything we want it to do now. As I said look at the record 2 years and running on 4.0 no problems. Most limousine companies are still on Dos or linux based systems.

And wade no my last name isn't black. You really need to get your head out of your ass and think that maybe you didnt have the resources to do what the other companies did with 4.0. Most succesful companies build their own software to suit their needs. Like boston coach, carrie, etc. Livery was a good product that was easily adpated towards the needs of their users if the users understand with an open mind and had some computer knowledge and had the resources of developers and knowing what they want. If you just wanted a open the box and go software that has a set source code in which no one is willing to develop in any way that thats your way.. We chose to be successful..

Sean (Not black either)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sean calm down tiger! I know how you computer geeks get upset and take these things so personal. Ill now answer your responses in order:

1. We were never offered Livery Coach version 3.5. When I inquired about it they told me it was in beta just like 4.0. And by the way I paid list price for the software and maintenance just like eveyone else did.

2. How would you know what more than 10,000 other limousine services are using anyway? Did you call all of them?

3. After being in the limousine business for over 22 years I still haven't met the first limo company owner who developed his own program.

4. Who is Carrie??? If you mean Carey they have affiliates that are using whatever program they want, same with Boston Coach.

5.Livery Coach was offered out of the box as and I'll quote " A Total Software Solution".
    Sean my main problem with Livery Coach is simple....the progam did not do as promised.

And Sean your right about one thing. Your company was willing to spend big bucks to customize Livery Coach. Unfortunately most limo companies don't have the time and resources to pursue such projects. If I had been told in advance about the problems with the program I would have gone elsewhere with my money. And Sean sorry again I never meant to piss in your sandbox.

Wade Randolph 225-928-5466

------------------
    Wade Randolph

Lets see wade how would I know what other limousine software companies use..Hmm no I probably havent called them all. But it is a known fact when livery coach came to light they were the ONLY windows based package out there. That I know for a fact. Quite a few people were either in development or were not scehduled to go live for another year this was back in 98-99.

As for Carey and boston coach (wade I apologize to you for the typo on my part). Have you ever seen their operation the hub where all the orders go into? I think not then you would know that both their systems are home grown reservations systems.. Figuring I know the firm very well that helped Boston Coach with their web interface into their billing/reservation system.Yes their affils use what ever they are using now. You statement about not meeting a owner who created their own system.. Yes there are very few out there and why you might ask you have never met them? Figuring most are corporate owned and you will never meet the owners because there are many owners (Shareholders). Most Mom and Pop limo companies do not have the finances to do that sort of thing..But the only way your going to make it big is to spend money. This is what most limo owners have no clue about always the cheap way out..And guess what they get hurt in the long run.. Maybe you should go out and meet some people..Seems I have met quite a few individuals who have undertaken this project and I've only been in the business for 8 years..

Finally about the out of the box solution of livery coach. Now I do recall from setting up 3.0 that there were some issues as with any software package of something not doing exactly what you wanted it to do but thats what you get when you buy out of the box. Looking back at my bug/development log there were not any functionality problems in setup. Everything worked on our end. There were some features that had to be added after the initial install to improve the system. My first problems encountered when we had 7+ people on the system at the same time with locking issues..From a technical aspect access 2.0 should have less than 6 people. So orginally their specs were wrong and we got refunded on some of our licensed of livery coach that we bought. Also with the volume we were doing there were also issues with the hardware specs. So I agree 3.0 had some problems but not any out of box and under 6 workstations..As long as the limit kept under that and doing a max of jobs a day you were ok.

3.5 was a public release and it was a free upgrade for 3.0 people under contract. Not sure why you were never upgraded but it was a public release. During the roll out of 3.5 their specs for hardware was upgraded and specs for multiuser login. From the information I passed along to them from the issues with 3.0. 3.5 had a stronger database integrity and less of locking problems..

Probably about 1 month from them packing up shop we were able to get the beta of 4.0 and start to get it set up on our end under SQL server which as like any beta had problems. Those problems were quickly resolved in house with the help of livery coach and myself. Within 2 weeks of Starting up 4.0 we succefully took it out of beta and went on our live enviroment and ever since that time no lockups, no corruptions, support thousands of users/web interface. We did purchase the source code however and it was quite a big chunk of change but knowing that I can change the software any time I feel like it to make any improvements I feel are nessecary all in house..Thats probably the best feature..

Sean
    Adminiistrator@ambassadorlimousine.com

... We did purchase the source code however and it was quite a big chunk of change but knowing that I can change the software any time I feel like it to make any improvements I feel are nessecary all in house..Thats probably the best feature..
    Originally posted by Wade:
    Sean calm down tiger! I know how you computer geeks get upset and take these things so personal. Ill now answer your responses in order:
    3. After being in the limousine business for over 22 years I still haven't met
    the first limo company owner who developed his own program.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stereotyping is not a good thing regardless of its object/subject. IMHO it is a sign of some degree of closed-mindedness. The only thing that I may take personally is being called a geek, since I AM a computer programmer/analyst. I try to follow quite a few threads within this forum because I have an interest in becoming involved in this industry. I don't see the point of the name calling which shows up in many threads, as witnessed in the "NLA Love It or Leave It" thread for example.

I don't know the problems encountered by Wade so I cannot comment on them. Having been in the computer world since the 80's I believe I can share an "expert" opinion; there is no off-the-shelf program that will work for everyone as far as meeting their "exact" needs. The way to achieve this is to do as Sean has which is to GET THE CODE. Also, if there are no companies that have developed
    ANY of their own software then there are a whoooole lot of companies not able to process data as they would like. If a company does not want to utilize any (or very limited) resources on software then they might as well stick to doing things on paper "the way they always have" although I would highly advise against such considering that we're now into the 21st century.
    If you have a TV in your limo you most likely have a remote control. The telephones in your office and limos are push button and not rotary dial models. Etc., etc., etc. One of the most important things to any business is the information (DATA) that pertains to all aspects of the business, e.g.
    revenues, expenses, payroll, purchases, maintenance, etc. The function for computers is DATA processing. For this reason it seems to make good business sense to budget funds for this endeavor. It should be at least as important as having the other modern devices mentioned above in your office and/or limo.
    As a computer professional I'm amazed at how much computer illiteracy still exists among the computer users. I've worked for a large university, the federal government, a major newspaper/publishing company and other types of businesses and the user understanding of computers is still overall amazingly minimal. And no, I'm not being some "Geek" trying to push my field off on anyone. Just trying to offer some qualified advise to those of you are now and have been in the past trying to be sucessful. Wade, why would I want to sit here and bad mouth you when you're the type (many years in THIS business) I hope to meet and talk to at the limo show next week. Please don't take this reply as an attack of any sort.

[This message has been edited by vtlipscomb (edited 11-02-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vtlipscomb:
    Stereotyping is not a good thing regardless of its object/subject. IMHO it is a sign of some degree of closed-mindedness. The only thing that I may take personally is being called a geek, since I AM a computer programmer/analyst. I try to follow quite a few threads within this forum because I have an interest in becoming involved in this industry. I don't see the point of the name calling which shows up in many threads, as witnessed in the "NLA Love It or Leave It" thread for example.

I don't know the problems encountered by Wade so I cannot comment on them. Having been in the computer world since the 80's I believe I can share an "expert" opinion; there is no off-the-shelf program that will work for everyone as far as meeting their "exact" needs. The way to achieve this is to do as Sean has which is to GET THE CODE. Also, if there are no companies that have developed
    ANY of their own software then there are a whoooole lot of companies not able to process data as they would like. If a company does not want to utilize any (or very limited) resources on software then they might as well stick to doing things on paper "the way they always have" although I would highly advise against such considering that we're now into the 21st century.
    If you have a TV in your limo you most likely have a remote control. The telephones in your office and limos are push button and not rotary dial models. Etc., etc., etc. One of the most important things to any business is the information (DATA) that pertains to all aspects of the business, e.g.
    revenues, expenses, payroll, purchases, maintenance, etc. The function for computers is DATA processing. For this reason it seems to make good business sense to budget funds for this endeavor. It should be at least as important as having the other modern devices mentioned above in your office and/or limo.
    As a computer professional I'm amazed at how much computer illiteracy still exists among the computer users. I've worked for a large university, the federal government, a major newspaper/publishing company and other types of businesses and the user understanding of computers is still overall amazingly minimal. And no, I'm not being some "Geek" trying to push my field off on anyone. Just trying to offer some qualified advise to those of you are now and have been in the past trying to be sucessful. Wade, why would I want to sit here and bad mouth you when you're the type (many years in THIS business) I hope to meet and talk to at the limo show next week. Please don't take this reply as an attack of any sort.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

VT sorry about the geek comment I wasn't trying to offend you. I have no doubt that Livery Coach with the help of qualified computer professionals and lots of time and money would work out to be a good solution.

I never wanted to customize Livery Coach in any way, shape or form. All that I wanted was the software to perform as promised. And it did not. We would have to reboot our computers at least 10 times per day and we got tired of the endless error messages and lockups. The main problem that we ran into with Liver Coach was when running reports which we do daily. By reports I mean:

1. Daily sales numbers
    2. Vehicle sales numbers
    3. Phone charges numbers
    4. Mileage nubers
    5. And comparison month to month numbers

There was some kind of problem between Crystal Reports and a certain Microsoft DLL file that would give error messages during the running of these reports. I would call to complain about these error messages and they would always say they were working on it.

If Livery Coach would have worked like the slide show demo promised I would still be using the software today. I loved what they said it could do, I'm just sorry it didn't work like they promised. And to be real honest about it they would still be in business if the product performed like it should have.

Most of the limousine serivces in our country are not large multi-million dollar operators. Therefore we cannot use our precious time and financial resources on developing software. That is why we look to honest, hard working software vendors to help make our life easier. I'm just sorry I picked the wrong vendor in 1997-98.

------------------
    Wade Randolph

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wade Randolph:
    ...All that I wanted was the software to perform as promised. And it did not. We would have to reboot our computers at least 10 times per day and we got tired of the endless error messages and lockups. ...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's sad that folks in so many business arenas are dishonest. Their customer suffers from their lack of ethics and pride short term just as you have by not getting something thet obviously already needed. In the long run they (the dishonest business folks) suffer either a shady reputation or going out of business. As we know at least from reading this forum there are many in the limo business who are shaky, unreliable and/or dishonest who don't stay in business.
    As for the reports you mentioned, it's a bit unfortunate that some of the good companies are hurting themselves by not realizing the overall efficiency of doing such tasks on a computer rather than paper.
    Here's a suggestion, just as two or more limo companies work together to help one another to perform their runs (farm out/in), perhaps a few could financially make a joint effort to develop some software for them. I don't own a limo yet so I surely can't think about coming out of the gate spending much of my resourses on program development. Just an idea.
    Thanks for not taking my previous post the wrong way.

Sean
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Livery Coach personnel were major criminals. If they try to come back with the same lame program, then the Federal trade Commission will take them out. The Blacks hosed a lot ot operators, this time they will go to FEDERAL PRISON if they screw the industry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DEAN SCHULER