Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New and been taken!

Default New and been taken!

I own a business that is very seasonal (halloween stores) and decided to start a small limo business for the other 9 months of the year. I looked up and down and found a 2002 Lincoln Towncar 120 by classic (creative) online. The pics looked great and the car only had 96k miles on it. I bidded 13k on it and won the bid.

I head over to Charlotte to get it. When I get there I see its not what I thought. The top looks like it has stress rips in it- the interior wood is wet- and the car has 3 different tires on it. I should have ran!!! But I thought I would negociate the guy. I ended up finding out the guy was losing his business and was needing money badly- so I offered him 7k and got it!!.

Here's where the hell begins. I take it to have a new top put on it- it has rust in all the pillars. I replace the rusted out pillars with new sheet metal. Have new top put on it. Pull the belt molding off to put new top on and there is rust under there.. have the center section sanded- sealed,primed and repainted. Have the wood on the inside yanked out and new wood put in it. Have new California Neon put in it- the old did not work. Had the back seat replaced- the old looked worn. And did top to bottom cleaning.

So now I got $10,500.00 in it and take it to have the stereo fixed (2 bad speakers) and the guy tells me. "This car has been under water before- had to be salt water because there is some rust in places you would not think there would be". Then I notice when sitting at light and taken off a puff of grey smoke comes out of the back driver side exhaust- so more than likely new motor or head work.

I hear there is a sucker born everyday- my day was the day I bought this car. It was cheap for a reason- now I am stuck finishing it- I guess the positive is I know what has been done to it now..... please tell me it gets easier..

ohh and great forum!!

Quote Originally Posted by wrightway limo View Post
    I own a business that is very seasonal (halloween stores) and decided to start a small limo business for the other 9 months of the year. I looked up and down and found a 2002 Lincoln Towncar 120 by classic (creative) online. The pics looked great and the car only had 96k miles on it. I bidded 13k on it and won the bid.

I head over to Charlotte to get it. When I get there I see its not what I thought. The top looks like it has stress rips in it- the interior wood is wet- and the car has 3 different tires on it. I should have ran!!! But I thought I would negociate the guy. I ended up finding out the guy was losing his business and was needing money badly- so I offered him 7k and got it!!.

Here's where the hell begins. I take it to have a new top put on it- it has rust in all the pillars. I replace the rusted out pillars with new sheet metal. Have new top put on it. Pull the belt molding off to put new top on and there is rust under there.. have the center section sanded- sealed,primed and repainted. Have the wood on the inside yanked out and new wood put in it. Have new California Neon put in it- the old did not work. Had the back seat replaced- the old looked worn. And did top to bottom cleaning.

So now I got $10,500.00 in it and take it to have the stereo fixed (2 bad speakers) and the guy tells me. "This car has been under water before- had to be salt water because there is some rust in places you would not think there would be". Then I notice when sitting at light and taken off a puff of grey smoke comes out of the back driver side exhaust- so more than likely new motor or head work.

I hear there is a sucker born everyday- my day was the day I bought this car. It was cheap for a reason- now I am stuck finishing it- I guess the positive is I know what has been done to it now..... please tell me it gets easier..

ohh and great forum!!
    with ebay you get what you pay for. im guessing it was sold as is. i would guess the previous owner had no idea about the rust because you had to remove the top to see it. i mean you did get a deal for it he was asking 13 and you got it for 7 almost 50% off. good luck i hope everything works out.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    Westfield Limousine Service Inc.
    www.westfieldlimo.com
    ckuritz@westfieldlimo.com

Blog Entries

Sorry to say, but, it does NOT get easier, lol. Wait till you have the puking clients at 3am Saturday morning and that car has a wedding at noon! Been there, done that...as most of us have and are still doing! Isn't it a wonderful web we weave???

Keep your head up!

Jim

thanks guy- I just want to get the car right. Each day that passes I find something else out that makes me more frustrated. But like I said- when its done I will know what has been done to it.

thanks guy- I just want to get the car right. Each day that passes I find something else out that makes me more frustrated. But like I said- when its done I will know what has been done to it.
    Carfax - Next time I suggest you get one. It may have revealed this problem car.

Anywho, in the end it sound like you are going to end up with a virtually new vehicle. You may also want to find a good mechanic to get under the car to see what needs to be fixed including things like bearings, bushings, exhaust, alternator(s), intake manifold, just to name a few.

Also, you should keep in mind..."You polish a turd, it's still a turd" because I don't know if you want to put too much money in this car.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    Carfax - Next time I suggest you get one. It may have revealed this problem car.

Anywho, in the end it sound like you are going to end up with a virtually new vehicle. You may also want to find a good mechanic to get under the car to see what needs to be fixed including things like bearings, bushings, exhaust, alternator(s), intake manifold, just to name a few.

Also, you should keep in mind..."You polish a turd, it's still a turd" because I don't know if you want to put too much money in this car.

Wright; sorry to hear the bad news. Unfortunatley it will probably get worse. I've been there got the t shirt too. Put 11,5 on it and move it. You'll thank me once you do. Next time ask for our advice, it's here and free. Welcome.

Member Limo Padawan

Run run run as fast as you can from this car. Sell it yesterday, if you dont
    you will be repairing this car every time it goes out on a job. Are worse towing it back from the job. Sell this car and buy yourself a different limo that hasn't been under water. You will be glad you did it in the longrun. There is nothing more frustrating than a lemon limo on a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Limousines13 View Post
    Run run run as fast as you can from this car. Sell it yesterday, if you dont
    you will be repairing this car every time it goes out on a job. Are worse towing it back from the job. Sell this car and buy yourself a different limo that hasn't been under water. You will be glad you did it in the longrun. There is nothing more frustrating than a lemon limo on a job.
    SO how do I sell it with a clear mind knowing I am passing on a auto with issues? I got one broke off in me- I would hate to do it to someone else.

There's a wholesaler in California that will buy it sight unseen....atleast he sells them like that, I'm assuming he buys them like that.

I did the carfax and it came back clean (one of the reasons I bought the car). I know some of you are saying sell it, but I have this weird thing-- once I start something I complete it. I have started fixing all the things wrong with this car- I am going to finish it even if I have to rebuild the whole darn thing!

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Contact your Attorney General before you put any more money into it.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Blog Entries

Obviously my thoughts are gonna be different than others but, I suggest that you keep it and ride out the problems. Drive it daily and keep working on it. For the amount of money that you have in it you still have a good deal on your hands once the bugs are worked out. One guy says that it's been under water, but you don't know this to be fact at this time. Engines smoke sometimes, could be something simple causing it. I'm not familiar with the builder but if they didn't seal stuff right during build or let it sit for awhile with the steel un-protected, you will have rust in odd places.

Ride it out, I'm guessing it will be a good car for you in the long run.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Obviously my thoughts are gonna be different than others but, I suggest that you keep it and ride out the problems. Drive it daily and keep working on it. For the amount of money that you have in it you still have a good deal on your hands once the bugs are worked out. One guy says that it's been under water, but you don't know this to be fact at this time. Engines smoke sometimes, could be something simple causing it. I'm not familiar with the builder but if they didn't seal stuff right during build or let it sit for awhile with the steel un-protected, you will have rust in odd places.

Let's see. Smoking engine, 3K already in...I bet the seller was having the same problems and that is why he went out of biz. Problem cars that were too much money in maintenance.

I say get rid of it especially if this was a flood vehicle or was underwater!!! You are going to have electrical nightmares with that car SOON if not already. I am talking rear AC, flickering lights, this, that and the other. I bought a car that had a small fire up front that was not disclosed to me. I found out from a driver that used to drive the car out on the road one night (he was the driver during the incident). We tried everything and if it was not one thing it was the other. We finally sold it because it was costing us way too much money compared to revenue. If it is making you only a couple thousand bucks after repairs, the unit is not worth keeping around with all the headaches. But you have to look at all that. How much downtime can you afford, how much BS do you want to put up with farming out runs when it breaks? There are many variables.

We disclosed all repairs and receipts to the seller. He was not worried, said he had a fleet mechanics and would take care of the issues. Oh well some people can do that.

If you can get out of it, sell it and move on to the next before you sink too much money into it. Disclose what you have done in repairs and try and break even with it. Problems childs like that will keep you from growing your company because every time you go out you have a new repair.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim30; March 6th, 2009 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Man I hope so digger. I talked to a mechanic and told him the engine issue and he said the valve seals might need to be replaced. That he would do it for very cheap since he gets so much business from me on my forklift repairs- (I run a distribution center as well as the Halloween stores). I trust this fella and hope that's all that is wrong.

Good news is my new belt molding came in today and the new LED opera lights. It had the old fuse style and a few were busted or had chrome chipping off. This should help in its appearance dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim30 View Post
    Let's see. Smoking engine, 3K already in...I bet the seller was having the same problems and that is why he went out of biz. Problem cars that were too much money in maintenance.

I say get rid of it especially if this was a flood vehicle or was underwater!!! You are going to have electrical nightmares with that car SOON if not already. I am talking rear AC, flickering lights, this, that and the other. I bought a car that had a small fire up front that was not disclosed to me. I found out from a driver that used to drive the car out on the road one night (he was the driver during the incident). We tried everything and if it was not one thing it was the other. We finally sold out from under it and disclosed all repairs and receipts to the seller. He was not worried, said he had a fleet mechanics and would take care of the issues. Oh well some people can do that.

If you can get out of it, sell it and move on to the next before you sink too much money into it. Disclose what you have done in repairs and try and break even with it. Problems childs like that will keep you from growing your company because every time you go out you have a new repair.

Jim
    Jim this car was owned for private use. When I checked the Carfax it has always been owned by this one guy (he owns a construction company) in Lexington, NC. So I find it hard to have been under water??

personally- I think the pillars started leaking and he neglected them- this led to water in the floorboard/carpet and then condensation in the car. This resulted in any un-protected metal to surface rust. I mean who puts 3 different brands of tires on a car?? come on.. that tells me he did not care for the car.
    Last edited by wrightway limo; March 6th, 2009 at 11:38 AM.