Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dangers of overloading your vehicle

David: I took your advice and called Craftsman. Here is what I got. The rule of thumb is the modification runs 27 lbs per inch including average passengers. this means that a 180" stretch will add 4860 to the base Excursion. Fords own specifications are Curb weight of base vehicle 6650 lbs. ad these together, 11,510 lbs. Fords specifications GVWR for base Excursion 8600 lbs. Looks like 2,910 lbs. over weight to me. Or another way to look at it, 133.8 % over GVWR.

I don't know about your area but where I live the people tend to eat well. So a full load of passengers could far exceed this number.

Craftsman did tell me that they are mostly doing H2s now. Could it be they know something we don't.

David E. Merrill
    David E. Merrill

I just looked up the specifications on an H2. GVWR 8600 lbs. Same as Excursion. Curb weight 6400 lbs. Using Craftsmans rule of thumb of 27 lbs per inch, a 220 inch stretch would be 5940, ad that to 6400 curb weight 12,340 lbs. GVWR 8600, 3,740 over. The regular Hummer was 10,300 GVWR not quite as bad.

David E. Merrill
    David E. Merrill

Manufacturers who use "rules of thumb" and don't seem to understand that loading a span is a proportional equation, not a linear one, scare the crap out of me.

A limo is, in its most basic form, a bridge. The longer it is, the stronger it has to be. There is a point where the stretch weighs more than what the stretch can hold, which is why bridges like the Golden Gate don't look like a typical freeway overpass, only longer. Saying that if a 100" stretch can hold 2700lbs, so a 200" can hold 5400lbs is stupidity of the highest order. That line of thought goes to a limo, 100 miles long, carrying everyone in Manhattan, but only supported at either end.
    Dave H.
    LA Limousines
    Victoria BC, Canada
    North America Toll Free 888 933-5466