Thread: Sales Associate

Default Sales Associate

We have a very competitive market, and getting new customers/contracts is getting harder. I am seriously considering a sales/marketing associate not a full time employee, but I don't know where to start looking. I thought of advertising online and newspaper, or taking in interns from local schools.
    Any ideas?

Also, I prefer paying commission and bonus not salary

I am looking for a sales person in the Dallas area as well. I am thinking small salary and commission. Very tough to find someone, they want a "big" salary plus commission.
    ALLEN LIMOUSINE SERVICE.
    TRANSPORTATION THAT'S AVAILABLE THROUGHOUT THE NATION.
    www.allenlimo.com
    972-747-0011
    877-747-0055

I suppose it depends on the customer that you want to chase , is a sales person going to get you more retail business ?? or Wedding Business?? plus if your service is a hard sell in your market is a good sales person going to be happy with no salary just comission... I personally think that you as the business owner are the best marketing person yourbusiness can have...
    Myles Flood
    Limos for Less
    www.lflcs.com
    www.limosforless.ie
    Dublin's Award Winning Limousine Service.

There was a long and thorough discussion of hiring a salesperson, places to look, compensation, etc. Please read this thread: Hiring a sales person http://www.limousinesonline.com/show...?t=3124&page=4
    Marc Rold
    Wild Horse Limousine
    www.wildhorselimo.com

It is a huge investment but if you hire the right person the rewards can be great as well. I hired a corporate sales person, base salary was $50,000. plus health ins and 6% commission for the first 100,000 in sales after that the % was reduced in increments of $50,000.

He brought in $250,000 the first year.

It was a win all the way around.

$50,000 + 6% I think is a "big Salary"
    ALLEN LIMOUSINE SERVICE.
    TRANSPORTATION THAT'S AVAILABLE THROUGHOUT THE NATION.
    www.allenlimo.com
    972-747-0011
    877-747-0055

It is but the pay off was big as well. In the Baltimore/DC area you have to pay. I wouldn't take the job for any less.

I agree with you Marc. You guys should go to the link as this was dicussed in depth over a period of weeks if not months. Why re-invent the wheel with a new thread?
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

I will give you guys a tactic that has worked wonders for me. Put an add in monster, or somewhere online for sales reps. Make sure that you state in the add the need for a background in the hospitality industry. Try to stay away from slaes people that have already worked sales in the livery industry. If you are in a major city, try finding someone who has hotel industry as they have many leads with clients you are trying to talk to. From the candidates that you get in for interviews, setup a sales team of 3 sales people. Now you will ask, how do you pay them? Very easy, especially in todays job climate. You have them all work out as 90 day contractors that will be paid a flat fee for their services plus their commissions. What you do though is place it as a merrited performace pay system as well. If you have those three sales people, tell them in a room together that they are all vying for a renewal after 90 days. After 90 days you do a review where you compensate them on a weighted scale by how much revenue they generate.

Example: Sales Person 1 - $15,000.00
    Sales Person 2 - $60,000.00 - Gross Revenue Generated is $165,000.00
    Sales Person 3 - $90,000.00

Now you have them paid off by how their sales performance was. Obviously sales person #3 generated the most, so they get $9,000.00 plus commissions. Sales person #2 gets $5,000.00 + commissions, and Sales person #1 gets $1,000.00 + commissions. I figured a good sales person should be paid $60,000.00 per year plus their commissions. So for the price of one sales person, I am getting three people out their "auditioning" and fighting to get the money.

Now, I don't just let these sales people go out on the road and turn over rocks. I take all the list of corporate, hotels, event centers that I want them to hit. I then put all the names of these companies into seperate bowls or hats by industry, and have them each pick out of each bowl randomly. What I am getting is a full "carpeted" sales/marketing ambush on the clients I want them to go after. I have sales reports that they must generate for me each week with their activies and how they have done.

Now on their commissions, I pay them 5% off of the first $150,000.00 they bring in each year off of new accounts. I give them 3% off of anything after that amount (Can be an accounting nightmare so make sure that you keep your finger on their revenue pulse).

After their 90 days, I want to hire Sales person #3, so I offer them their full salary for the first year which is $60,000.00 minus what they just earned for the first 90 days. I will then ask sales person # 2 if they want to keep working but on a smaller salary base of $20,000.00 per year plus commissions. When one of them drops off or leaves the company, I pay them a maintenance fee of 1% for the next 12 months as long as the account is still active.

I am sure I left some info out, so if you have any questions, please ask!
    Last edited by PhillyLimoGuy; January 10th, 2009 at 08:12 PM.
    Philadelphia Limousine Guy

That is exactly where my sales guy came from, the hospitality business. He knew everybody in that business, if there was a convention coming to a hotel he knew about it.

In this economy you could bring 3 in probably and make them work for it. I did it 3 years ago and it became clear to me to find the right person I had to make a commitment to them.

why dont you get you a marketing student that might be interested in getting some experience they can add on there resume later. seem to me someone like that might be wiling to work for free or very cheap or maybe they'll agree to do it for alittle free service