Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Official Introduction

Default My Official Introduction

Hello all. Many of you know me, at least know my name, as I have been on here a few months and have made several posts stating my opinions. Since I have never officially introduced myself, I have decided to go ahead and do that.

Of course you all know that my name is Tim and I am the owner and president of Boulevard Limousine of Olathe, KS, serving the Kansas City metropolitan area. I am just shy of 26 years old (and as some friends would put it, 'Tim, you are 25 going of 40') and have been working in this industry for just shy of 3 years. Though I have only worked in this industry for 3 years, I grew up in this industry as my father began what is currently a sedan service 22 years ago. I started working for the family biz after I was involved in a baad car wreck in June 2006 caused by a drunk driver. At the time of the wreck, I was a graduate student studying meteorology at the University of Oklahoma (B.S. in Meteorology from OU in 2005). The car wreck changed my life and I left school to work in the family biz.

After working for the family biz for about 18 months, I decided to branch out and start my own service with a concentration on stretch limousines. Of course before doing this, I read my LCTs and Limo Digs, and even fiddled around on this forum, and got some stats to get an idea if this was right for me and decided it was. I still work for the family biz as a day in day out operation, but plan to get my own sedan and go after some of my own corporate work. Reason for this revolves around my 78-year-old grandmother who actually owns a majority of the business and doesn't believe in the current trends of....oh...the internet and using technology. All in all, I just don't see eye-to-eye with my family on the definition of a true limousine service. There are many things that I want to do to improve the business but all my ideas fall on deaf ears and closed minds. That is why I started my own business to start with. Ironically, my grandmother cannot believe how well it has gone. She irritates me in that she turns down business before they even have a chance to tell her what they are looking for. ARGH!!!!

Anyway, I am looking to soon buy a sedan for some corporate based work. I know that it is not good to build both corporate and retail at the same time, but I have made several good contacts on the corporate side as of late that it is silly for me not to move forward with that part of the business.

Overall, I look to provide the best limousine service available in Kansas City. I have received several good marks from the clients I have served in that past. I hope to build a good service complete with a national affiliate network. That is my goal. I want to be the best in Kansas City, and I know that I have some stiff competition that is well established.

Anyway, that is my introduction. I know that I am just a yup pup in the biz, and I know that I don't know everything. That is why I have joined this forum, to learn from others and to help others learn from what I have accomplished. I believe that this social network is more than that and acts more like a study-buddy group.

Thanks for you time.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

welcome sir. glad to see another young man on here.
    Last edited by wflimonj; January 5th, 2009 at 11:58 PM.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    Westfield Limousine Service Inc.
    www.westfieldlimo.com
    ckuritz@westfieldlimo.com

Blog Entries

Good post Tim, I had no idea of what your situation was. It's good to know that you are driven like we are. I think we all have some reason, something that drives us to become the top in our areas.

It was definitely interesting in the office today. My grandmother went ballistic over something so small accusing my father and I of doing it. It was an update to a corporate account (name change). Truth is she changed it herself and just forgot. Really?
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Blog Entries

Old people.

Good to have you in the forum, Tim. Having to work with your 78 year old grandmother would make a funny reality TV show. Think about it.
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net

Welcome welcome! I'm only 28 and built my biz from 1 car from the ground up and alot of internet help. So it can be done!
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities in between - over 15,000+ customers and counting!

Welcome, I started in this biz at 21 with 1 car

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Welcome.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Default Someone gave you bad advice

Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post

... I am looking to soon buy a sedan for some corporate based work. I know that it is not good to build both corporate and retail at the same time, but I have made several good contacts on the corporate side as of late that it is silly for me not to move forward with that part of the business...
    Tim,

Most importantly, good luck in your recuperation from your accident. I'm certain that everyone here joins me in wishing you a full and complete recovery!

If someone told you not to build up a retail and corporate based service concurrently, they gave you some terrible advice. One of the reasons that so many limousine services fail is that they tend to serve a very small market niche. Those services that specialize and only serve the financial institutions in New York City are off by double of what those that have a more balanced plate are off.

I was intimately connected to a limousine service (ok, I owned it) that specialized in providing transportation for the talent of comedy clubs. When comedy clubs took a dive so did that business.

You mention your Grandmother, and I'm sure that at some time she has used the phrase "don't put all of your eggs in one basket" and that is very good advice. You really want to have a good mix of business so that when one sector is down another might be up.

There is a major exception to this rule: In this industry you may frequently hear the phrase "diversification" tossed around. This is more of a scenario for magazines and show promoters to try being all things to all people - making the most of their advertisers. An example would be if you publish a trade magazine on buses you might try getting your advertisers to take out ads in your limo magazine and to show their vehicles at a limo show. While this may be a good move for the publisher; it might not be a good move for the operator. Sedan operators are not known to be great charter bus operators....

Blog Entries

Also, it is good to cross-promote yourself to current clients. I have had retail clients find out (during a run) that I have the airport/corporate sedan and later book it. I also have has airport/corporates find out that I have limousines and later book them. I keep brochures in all of the cars that show what I have, that is the best for cross-promotion. Let them see it and start the conversation, then services can sell themselves without the client feeling attacked by a pushy salesman.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Also, it is good to cross-promote yourself to current clients. I have had retail clients find out (during a run) that I have the airport/corporate sedan and later book it. I also have has airport/corporates find out that I have limousines and later book them. I keep brochures in all of the cars that show what I have, that is the best for cross-promotion. Let them see it and start the conversation, then services can sell themselves without the client feeling attacked by a pushy salesman.
    same here. people ask me if all I do is airport and I politely say no we do everything.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    www.westfieldlimo.com

Quote Originally Posted by tony35 View Post
    Welcome, I started in this biz at 21 with 1 car
    Quote Originally Posted by First Class Limos View Post
    Welcome welcome! I'm only 28 and built my biz from 1 car from the ground up and alot of internet help. So it can be done!
    Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    Hello all. Many of you know me, at least know my name, as I have been on here a few months and have made several posts stating my opinions. Since I have never officially introduced myself, I have decided to go ahead and do that.

Of course you all know that my name is Tim and I am the owner and president of Boulevard Limousine of Olathe, KS, serving the Kansas City metropolitan area. I am just shy of 26 years old (and as some friends would put it, 'Tim, you are 25 going of 40') and have been working in this industry for just shy of 3 years. Though I have only worked in this industry for 3 years, I grew up in this industry as my father began what is currently a sedan service 22 years ago. I started working for the family biz after I was involved in a baad car wreck in June 2006 caused by a drunk driver. At the time of the wreck, I was a graduate student studying meteorology at the University of Oklahoma (B.S. in Meteorology from OU in 2005). The car wreck changed my life and I left school to work in the family biz.

After working for the family biz for about 18 months, I decided to branch out and start my own service with a concentration on stretch limousines. Of course before doing this, I read my LCTs and Limo Digs, and even fiddled around on this forum, and got some stats to get an idea if this was right for me and decided it was. I still work for the family biz as a day in day out operation, but plan to get my own sedan and go after some of my own corporate work. Reason for this revolves around my 78-year-old grandmother who actually owns a majority of the business and doesn't believe in the current trends of....oh...the internet and using technology. All in all, I just don't see eye-to-eye with my family on the definition of a true limousine service. There are many things that I want to do to improve the business but all my ideas fall on deaf ears and closed minds. That is why I started my own business to start with. Ironically, my grandmother cannot believe how well it has gone. She irritates me in that she turns down business before they even have a chance to tell her what they are looking for. ARGH!!!!

Anyway, I am looking to soon buy a sedan for some corporate based work. I know that it is not good to build both corporate and retail at the same time, but I have made several good contacts on the corporate side as of late that it is silly for me not to move forward with that part of the business.

Overall, I look to provide the best limousine service available in Kansas City. I have received several good marks from the clients I have served in that past. I hope to build a good service complete with a national affiliate network. That is my goal. I want to be the best in Kansas City, and I know that I have some stiff competition that is well established.

Anyway, that is my introduction. I know that I am just a yup pup in the biz, and I know that I don't know everything. That is why I have joined this forum, to learn from others and to help others learn from what I have accomplished. I believe that this social network is more than that and acts more like a study-buddy group.

Thanks for you time.
    I didnt realize there was so many limo owners under 30.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    www.westfieldlimo.com

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rick E. View Post

If someone told you not to build up a retail and corporate based service concurrently, they gave you some terrible advice. One of the reasons that so many limousine services fail is that they tend to serve a very small market niche. Those services that specialize and only serve the financial institutions in New York City are off by double of what those that have a more balanced plate are off.
    This advice would be for the young gun with little equity. Know what you are doing with one side before getting into the other side. Although this forum is great for general advice, every situation has it's own schematic. If you have corporate accounts calling you, go for it. I do not understand why you would split your time/advertising dollars to go after another market if you do not have a handle on the market you are currently servicing. It seems from a far glance that Tim would be smart to buy a sedan to service the corporate work that is calling him as a lot of his retail clients would also use the sedan being that it would be cheaper for smaller groups. Just be careful how thin you stretch yourself until we see how bad Obama will hit us with taxes. He will be spending a lot of money here soon.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wflimonj View Post
    I didnt realize there was so many limo owners under 30.
    28 myself! Been in business one way or another since I was 17. It's been one heck of a roller coaster but I'm loving every minute of it!

I agree with Cedar Mill, each situation is different. We service corporate and retail, and have seen a jump in retail so we are spending a majority of our advertising dollars there. I know corporate work is steady income, but it takes a heck of a lot of airport runs to compare to an 8 hour rental in our H2 or even in our Chrysler 300.

Still working both sides and see where it leads us.