Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIDE Act Amendment Back On Burner

Default RIDE Act Redux Back On Burner

Attention All

The NLA has the amended RIDE Act back in play & maybe we'll see it passed into law. Not familiar with the RIDE Act?:

Title 49 ss 14501 United States Code

(d) Pre-Arranged Ground Transportation.—
    (1) In general.— No State or political subdivision thereof and no interstate agency or other political agency of 2 or more States shall enact or enforce any law, rule, regulation, standard or other provision having the force and effect of law requiring a license or fee on account of the fact that a motor vehicle is providing pre-arranged ground transportation service if the motor carrier providing such service—
    (A) meets all applicable registration requirements under chapter 139 for the interstate transportation of passengers;
    (B) meets all applicable vehicle and intrastate passenger licensing requirements of the State or States in which the motor carrier is domiciled or registered to do business; and
    (C) is providing such service pursuant to a contract for—
    (i) transportation by the motor carrier from one State, including intermediate stops, to a destination in another State; or
    (ii) transportation by the motor carrier from one State, including intermediate stops in another State, to a destination in the original State.
    (2) Intermediate stop defined.— In this section, the term “intermediate stop”, with respect to transportation by a motor carrier, means a pause in the transportation in order for one or more passengers to engage in personal or business activity, but only if the driver providing the transportation to such passenger or passengers does not, before resuming the transportation of such passenger (or at least 1 of such passengers), provide transportation to any other person not included among the passengers being transported when the pause began.
    (3) Matters not covered.— Nothing in this subsection shall be construed—
    (A) as subjecting taxicab service to regulation under chapter 135 or section 31138;
    (B) as prohibiting or restricting an airport, train, or bus terminal operator from contracting to provide preferential access or facilities to one or more providers of pre-arranged ground transportation service; and
    (C) as restricting the right of any State or political subdivision of a State to require, in a nondiscriminatory manner, that any individual operating a vehicle providing prearranged ground transportation service originating in the State or political subdivision have submitted to pre-licensing drug testing or a criminal background investigation of the records of the State in which the operator is domiciled, by the State or political subdivision by which the operator is licensed to provide such service, or by the motor carrier providing such service, as a condition of providing such service.

Due to goofs in the 1st Bill that was passed into law, the current law only applies interstate movements. The amended Act will also apply to Intrastate Transportation whereas airports, cruise ports etc.. will be prohibited from charging a limo anymore than it charges JQ Public from going in and picking up passengers.

Though I think the NLA is full of incompetent players seeking to fatten their wallets at the demise of the many, this bill should be supported BY ALL for reasons I will not disclose. Following is an announcement from the NLA & what YOU can do to help put this legislation into law:

NLA Update: Proposed RIDE Act Amendment Introduced in Senate
    October 27, 2008
    Proposed RIDE Act Amendment Introduced in Senate by Senators Lautenberg and Vitter

We are pleased to advise that NLA-advocated amending language to the Real Interstate Driver Equity (RIDE) Act was introduced to the U.S. Senate as S. 3667 on Thursday October 2 by Senators Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) and David Vitter (R-LA), both members of the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science & Transportation which has jurisdiction over the limousine industry.

The legislation will bring all limousine operators under the protection of the RIDE Act. It clarifies the original intent of the RIDE Act and will prohibit airports from charging abusive fees to NLA members and force the Department of Transportation (DOT) to undertake rulemaking to airports to reinforce the Congressional intent of the legislation.

We anticipate its introduction to the House of Representatives in either late November, when Congress reconvenes following the November 4 election, or in January, when the new Congress convenes.

This significant step forward is a result of the industry's grass roots support shown on the 2008 NLA Day on the Hill this past June and diligent work by the NLA on Capitol Hill for almost two years.

We urge you to contact your own Senators to ask that they become co-sponsors of the bill and vote for its passage into law.

To do so, simply call the Capitol switchboard (202.224.3121) and ask to be connected to your senators. Once connected to your senator’s office, ask to speak to the transportation legislative assistant. Or, refer to http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm for the complete list of U.S. Senators and their office telephone numbers.

Tell the legislative assistant that you are a member of the NLA and you are asking them to consider co-sponsoring S. 3667 to help your small business avoid the illegal and abusive fees charged by some airports. Tell them to contact Fletcher Fitzpatrick in Senator Vitter’s office or David Matsuda in Senator Lautenberg’s office to become a co-sponsor.

Please provide any feedback about the contact to NLA executive director Patricia Nelson (patricia.nelson@limo.org) so we can keep a record of the contacts.

Thank you!
    Last edited by gunny; January 18th, 2009 at 07:02 PM.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

S.3667: A bill to clarify the application of section 14501(d) of title 49, United States Code, to prevent the imposition of unreasonable transportation terminal fees.

Here's the amendment to the RIDE Act:

http://www.statesurge.com/bills/398576-s3667-federal

Scroll down to open Bill Text PDF

Default FL State has no regulation, so.......

(B) meets all applicable vehicle and intrastate passenger licensing requirements of the State or States in which the motor carrier is domiciled or registered to do business; and

Will this provision of the RIDE Act be used by airports as a means to exempt themselves from the intrastate provisions of the amended Act if so passed into law?

Default Ride Act Update

The current Bill before the Legislature does not seem to contain any provisions that will protect intrastate motor carriers from unscrupulous and abusive permitting & application of fees by interstate terminals. This is in addition to every jurisdiction being able to apply licensing mandates upon intrastate carriers servicing their community's needs for transport to and from jurisdictions holding interstate hubs.

Passage of the current Bill will only affect the narrow class of interstate operations servicing hub's which do apply fees beyond what is charged the general public.

Well that's only been in the works 5 years now. Good job NLA. Please note sarcasm!
    I want to die while asleep like my grandfather,
    not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

Default Scamming Congress??

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Wire View Post
    Well that's only been in the works 5 years now. Good job NLA. Please note sarcasm!
    Need to let Congress know of the minimal impact this will have on the ground transport industry as a whole.

So how much was paid to lobbyists for minimal impact!

Default Which Airports Charge Interstate Carriers Fees?

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Wire View Post
    So how much was paid to lobbyists for minimal impact!
    I'm still trying to figure out how many if any airports require interstate carriers to pay fees outside of what the current law provides for. .

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

ORD and MDW charge $2 for arrivals for all companies Interstate or Intrastate.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Now what a damn minute Dean, you mean to tell me I can't count my chauffeurs and detailers and staff's personal cars in my count if they are on my lot when I count, unfair I say, unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by gunny View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how many if any airports require interstate carriers to pay fees outside of what the current law provides for. .

Kansas City International airport charges $3 on all commercial arrivals regardless if they are interstate or intrastate. I will say this though...that $3 allows us to park at the second curb for 20 minutes, leaving our cars unattended (must be locked and off), to allow us to go inside, greet our flights at the gate and assist our clients with any luggage that they may have. This is something that the general public cannot do. The general public, however, can park in the terminal parking garage for up to 30 minutes for just $1 to go inside and meet their traveler(s).
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Heck Tim that is very generous, BWI you get nothing like that.

That is why I can't complain too much about the $3 fee, even on interstate runs. We are getting an additional benefit not given to the general public.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

If the fees charged is commensurate with what the GP pays or the motor carrier receives special concessions like parking, toilet facilities etc.. the fees are legit. I call them use fees and just part of doing business.

Exclamation Response

Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    Kansas City International airport charges $3 on all commercial arrivals regardless if they are interstate or intrastate. I will say this though...that $3 allows us to park at the second curb for 20 minutes, leaving our cars unattended (must be locked and off), to allow us to go inside, greet our flights at the gate and assist our clients with any luggage that they may have. This is something that the general public cannot do. The general public, however, can park in the terminal parking garage for up to 30 minutes for just $1 to go inside and meet their traveler(s).
    TO ANSWER GUNNY's QUESTION : The AGTA is the definite source for airport info in this country. They will have the answer to any fees questions. www.agtaweb.org For operators that do airport work, this is the association to belong to.
    Last edited by Dean Schuler; August 30th, 2010 at 02:28 AM.
    Dean Schuler