Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Avis/WeDriveU Hurting Limo Ops

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Metcalf View Post
    A Guy here in Michigan did this same thing a few years back in the Bus business. You pay one fee to "rent" the Bus from him and you are welcome to drive it yourself but if you wished to have A Driver, He would provide you with a list of Drivers you could hire to be your Employee. You make the deal with the Driver. The Drivers only paid him to be on his list.

No need for MDOT/USDOT authority because he "unbundled" the service. No need to worry about the IRS because the person "renting" the bus was the Drivers Employer. Little did the "Renter/ Employer" know what kind of can of worms he was getting himself into if there was an accident. Basicly it became a private coach.
    I think what Avis is doing is vastly different from what the bus guy was doing. Do not think you can compare the two.

Does anyone know how the insurance is working for this? Say a driver killed his client with his crappy driving, exactly whose insurance is going to cover this? Imagine the millions if the driver has a record that would have prevented him from being licensed as a chauffeur but Avis had him behind the wheel. On another note, Avis doesn't have any limousines, correct? They can damage the sedan/suv/van market for the time being, I just hope that this is corrected with proper licensing/lawsuits, it may take a customer getting killed by Avis' negligence and rulebending to do something about it tho.

Question

As AVIS owns 40% of Carey Intl, I wonder if this will strain relations with the rest of the Industry.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Junior Member Limo Padawan

Default Prices are too high in my opinion

Though I think there may still be an impact on the industry with AVIS's plan, i don't think many people will pay $147.00 / 3 hrs for a chaufuer, and a minimum of $40 for a chevy cobalt total of almost $200 for 3 hrs. People paying that price will want luxury, and when you price out AVIS for a Cadillac DTS with a chaufuer , your now $250 / 3 hrs

I feel local companies will offer more than Avis has to offer, and can still keep a loyal local business. Our company for example, offers a pickup at the airport in a 08 Cadillac DTS with onboard wireless internet, complimentary newspapers, and bottled water for $60

--
    N

Default Kick Back & Enjoy The Popcorn

Quote Originally Posted by RCNLimo View Post
    Though I think there may still be an impact on the industry with AVIS's plan, i don't think many people will pay $147.00 / 3 hrs for a chaufuer, and a minimum of $40 for a chevy cobalt total of almost $200 for 3 hrs. People paying that price will want luxury, and when you price out AVIS for a Cadillac DTS with a chaufuer , your now $250 / 3 hrs

I feel local companies will offer more than Avis has to offer, and can still keep a loyal local business. Our company for example, offers a pickup at the airport in a 08 Cadillac DTS with onboard wireless internet, complimentary newspapers, and bottled water for $60

--
    N
    Despite the obvious for AP transfers Carey's 40% owner seems to be riling up the powers to be or, who they think they be.

Maybe because it will cut into their corporate action?

Maybe they will lose control in markets they have paid big payola to close new market entrants?

Sit back & watch the show as this may get nasty.

Member Limo Padawan limosatyourservice's Avatar

Rcn limo, send me your info, i would like to take you up on that $60 airport ride in boston, i farm out about 10 trips a month there
    Adam K.
    Limos At Your Service
    800-219-2664
    Serving the Los Angeles And Atlanta Markets!
    http://www.limosatyourservice.net

Unhappy Bring Out The Crying Towels

Sample of a letter being passed around to protest AVIS/WeDriveU. When all else fails, stomp feet & cry about how this offends all of the so called safety measures the elite have convinced regulators to employ ...... yeah right as though these Politicos have any clue outside what the wallet padders are spoon feeding them.

Your business operations bogged down by by expensive & restrictive operating costs? Don't blame the regulators. Blame the very same types protesting AVIS/WeDriveU.

LETTERHEAD

DATE

AAAA
    Title
    Avis WeDriveU®

Re: Avis Unfair Competition with Regulated For-Hire Chauffeur Services

Dear Mr. ____________:

I represent [or am the [Title] of] the [XXXX LIMOUSINE ASSOCIATION/COMPANY] (the “XXXX”). I am writing to you to draw your attention to the ongoing violations by Avis of [STATE OR LOCAL] [statutes, ordinances and regulations] governing the operation of for-hire chauffeur services by its continuing to operate unregulated and unpermitted WeDriveU® services in this community.

Our [LOCAL OR STATE GOVERNMENT ENABLING AUTHORITY] affords the [BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS OR OTHER] the power to license and regulate taxis, limousines, rental cars and other passenger vehicles for hire operating within the [COUNTY OR OTHER]. [CITATION]. Most government agencies, including ours in [STATE CITY/COUNTY], promote the welfare of the community’s citizens and visitors alike and employ mission statements providing in one form or another for the enhancement of the quality of life for residents, visitors and businesses through education, licensing and regulation, and the investigation and mediation of consumer complaints relating to for-hire services.
    Nevertheless, Avis has been competing directly and with impunity against regulated for-hire chauffeur businesses in this County and elsewhere throughout the nation for some time with its unregulated de facto chauffeur service. We have seen videotape of Avis chauffeurs offering the same type of service that regulated limousines, sedans, taxis and other vehicles offer to the public, but in “unmarked” vehicles without visible permits which do not conform to state and local requirements for chauffeur and taxi services. WeDriveU® chauffeurs need not carry chauffeur licenses or attend any government training programs or undergo testing. Avis cars have no limits on mileage, model year or classification although chauffeur-driven. Avis does not abide by regulations concerning the making of advance reservations. Nor is Avis limited by boundaries between counties or jurisdictions. Avis cars currently may pick up and drop off at airports, train stations, hotels or anywhere in response to a telephone call or internet request without impediment or any concern about regulations governing advance bookings in our industry.

Allowing Avis and other companies who may adopt the Avis business model to continue to ferry

residents and visitors around the [COUNTY or AAAA] without requiring its chauffeurs to be appropriately licensed, without requiring their vehicles to be permitted, inspected or in any way regulated to meet the same standards required of taxis, limousines and other passenger vehicles and to allow Avis to levy unregulated charges, deprives the traveling public of safety measures and a process designed to enhance the quality of the local travel experience. It further amounts to a free pass which is unfair not only to those consumers, but threatens to sound the death knell for the many small businesses who comply at considerable expense with the [COUNTY’s or AAAA’s] stringent regulatory framework, by rendering those businesses unable to compete and by devaluing the permits in which they have so heavily invested in order to operate for-hire vehicles in this community lawfully.
    I ask that Avis and WeDriveU® either become compliant with the law and play on a level field with we who are your competitors or stop offering WeDriveU® in our community. Failure to self-regulate will result in legal action here and in other communities where this unfair competition and disregard for consumer protection continues. XXXX intends to take legal action against our regulatory authorities and Avis if need be to force Avis to comply with the law as all of its competitors do if Avis will not voluntarily discontinue offering WeDriveU® service now. I am not asking Avis to stop competing, but only to ensure that Avis offers the public the same kind of safe and regulated service that XXXX offers. The government requires that all of us who are in this business satisfy its threshold requirements. It’s only fair.
    Sincerely,

Last edited by gunny; January 14th, 2009 at 09:13 AM.

Default More Boo Hoo Rags Needed

Jan 2009 LimoDigest "Wanted: A Level Playing Field"

Gotta love those Miami Operators crying about AVIS circumventing the regs that protect their (Miami Ops) wallets!

We have to jump through hoops.... it's just not fair.... whaaaaa

Blog Entries

Just found out that one of our chauffeurs is taking a full time job with we drive u at $18 plus tips to sit in front of a major hotel and offer a "house" car to the hotels customers. Free of charge to the customers, paid by Acura to show off their new vehicles and take surveys from customers. Airport transfers, to the mall, or anywhere they want to go within reason. House car gets used first, then limos and taxi's.

Smile Tbecolimo / wedriveuGreen

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenOnWheels View Post
    Just found out that one of our chauffeurs is taking a full time job with we drive u at $18 plus tips to sit in front of a major hotel and offer a "house" car to the hotels customers. Free of charge to the customers, paid by Acura to show off their new vehicles and take surveys from customers. Airport transfers, to the mall, or anywhere they want to go within reason. House car gets used first, then limos and taxi's.
    Looks like Avis is also getting into the Taxi business now. I am thinking about opening 2 companies like AVIS/WEDRIVEU and run my Toyota Prius in front of the Tampa Gestapo, anybody doing this already?
    Put Pimpin Kevin White in Jail, Abolishing the HCPTC.
    Moshe Leib

Quote Originally Posted by TBLIMO View Post
    Looks like Avis is also getting into the Taxi business now. I am thinking about opening 2 companies like AVIS/WEDRIVEU and run my Toyota Prius in front of the Tampa Gestapo, anybody doing this already?
    I'm going to start rent a driver, your car or ours, $XX amount per hour plus tolls & fuel.

Wouldn't that be nice. No need for commercial insurance, PUC license, drug testing company, airport permits, etc...
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net

Blog Entries

Default Rent a Driver

A service like rent a Driver works great in an area where you have Senior Citizens with the brand new Marques sitting in the garage and the Doc. told them they cannot drive it anymore. (contact the Doctors offices, get it prescribed and mayby medical insurance will pay for it) All you really need to do here is be desiganated as an insured Driver oun THEIR insurance, hold yourself out as a Temporary help agency and you are in business. I see adds in the paper all the time for medical home help agencies offering this type of service ( wipe your Butt and drive you to the grocery store) and according to our state transportation regulating agency, they are perfectly legal.

I say go for it and see what happens. If they do bust you for it well you now have first hand knowledge as to how it works. Another place to look for work is through the court system. Judge suspends a licenses, that person NEEDS a Driver.

I applied for Wedriveu and they never responded.

$18 an hour sounds decent, but I wonder how much work is available?

Plus, with all this going into legalities, will Wedriveu survive and continue to grow?

More will be revealed.

SFC

This thread is kinda old but I thought i'd respond to it.

I just recently had an interview with a company who does this. The owner is an ex chauffeur and used to own a chauffeur company in Dallas. I asked him about the licensing and he said since you are acting as a PRIVATE (Personal) chauffeur and not a public chauffeur. You can get around city licensing for both you and your car. Since you will be using their own personal car it isn't considered as a for hire vehicle........

Personally, I'd rather drive a company vehicle. That has got to be the most nerve racking thing to drive another guys car while he sits beside you..