Thread: PT plates in Illinois

I know the city of chicago will not license a vehicle over 8 pax, but you can get PT plates say for a 14 pax Excursion. However, having been in the business for many years, I have heard especially recently about PT plated 14 pax vehicles being impounded from them running in the city of chicago. How do you legally license a vehicle over 8 pax to be able to run it in the city?

It'll take more law digging but quickly looking over state statutes, a limousine is defined as a first division which means not carrying more than 10 passengers. Over 10 passengers the state defines the vehicle as a BUS (2d division). A city has the right to regulate limousines including the max. capacity citing safety but if the city is impounding buses (chartered) they could be in violation of federal law as long as the state hasn't prohibited the use of specific buses.

Again, this will take research on both local ordinances and state statutes.
    Senator Jeff Brandes Sells Out To Big Money Uber. Refuses To Help End Repetitious Local Licensing Impacting Citizens Freedom To Travel Intercounty Within The State of Florida. www.thefita.com

Senior Member Limo Padawan Mr.Frugality's Avatar

You might want to try going in person to: 5401 N. Elston Avenue, Chicago. This is the Illinois Secretary Of State licensing division that handles all of Livery/Taxi/PT (private transportation) plates issued in Illinois. Second floor, look for large sign that reads "Taxi/Livery Services", there are several people there that can answer any questions you may have regarding PT plates. Only 2 offices in Illinois that issue/handle livery/taxi/pt plates, the one on Elston Ave. (312)793-1010
    in Chicago or Springfield Illinois. This link is for DMV website: http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/drivers/f...go/chicagonorth.html
    A true leader seeks the leader in others

Were you able to get an answer to this?

Senior Member Limo Padawan ziggyburd's Avatar

Let us know as Gunny has done a quick "RECON' for you that sounds like he has you headed in the right direction.
    Zane Burdette
    St. Petersburg, FL

http://www.thefita.com/

Malcontent Member

Junior Member Limo Padawan

The good ole state of ILL. I wouldn't suggest to talk to the governor right now he is in enough shit! LOL sorry just a little sore about are "wonderful" state. As far as I am concerned they need to cut Chicago off and put them in their own state so that the rest of Ill. can quit be embarrassed for our Governor's actions.

Any how I was told to go to Springfield, or is this Chicago place just to be able to go into Chicago?
    Jaleigh