Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I way Off Base????

Default Lets have a brief reality check

First off , if the big 3 file bancruptcy this does not mean that they will close thier doors. Many , many companies all across the world file and then re organize and get better. Look at Dana , Owens Corning , etc.

We as a country are already 1.4 trillion dollars in debt annualy. We borrow this money from China and Saudi Arabia. Imagine what it's going to be like when we can't pay them back and they take over our banks and insurance industries.

We have seen how responsible everyone is with our money. Look at AIG , look at congress , look at the senate.

This whole mess could be fixed real fast.

Let people fail who deserve to fail. Let the herd be thinned. Let new brilliant people rise from the ashes and create the new economy , invent the next greatest technology.

Stop letting the government and unions dictate how businesses are ran , or if they are even allowed to run. ( BO's plan for the coal industry for example )

Let people keep what they earn. No one in the country saves money , so if they have more of it , they will spend more of it.

Stop allowing the mdeia to persuade people that we are all going to die if anyone fails.

This whole "crisis" started about 2 years when the "experts" and mdeia started warning everyone that we were going into recession.

So what happened. All the people that were going to buy a new car or furninture said " OH MY GOD , DID YOU SEE WHAT THE EXPERTS ARE SAYING ? I THINK WE SHOULD WAIT ON THAT NEW CAR , HOUSE , BOAT , ETC UNTIL THEY TELL US IT'S OK"

So , people stopped spending. The economy slowed and people panicked more and more experts told more stories of horror and people spent even less and the we ended up here.

It's called a self fulfilling prophecy.

The first thing you learn in Government admin classes is that the best way to get the sheeple to fall in line with more gov control and less freedom is to use the word " crisis ".

A crisis was needed to bring change. A crisis they created. Be very afraid of the change coming our way.

I'll make all the gov officials a promise.

For the next 12 months let me keep all the payroll taxes , workers comp , unemployment , fica , sales , enviro , fees , surhcarges , water ,garbage , income , profit and any other taxes I am missing.

I will promise to spend every dime of it to expand my business , hire more people , creat more prospoerit for everyone I can. Hell , I may even take a vacation and spend some on Mickey Mouse for my 5 YO daughter.

Default Be careful what you wish for

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post
    Why not? We both know the Mercedes is a better vehicle than Lincoln although we might pay through the nose on maintenance. Mercedes might just give us a 200,000 mile warranty. Change is sometimes good. Look how many new jobs would be created if we changed and started buy Mercedes in mass numbers. Maybe they would have better financing terms that Ford Motor Credit.

In the past MB-North America has looked at both the livery sedan and (stretch) limousine side of our industry. For a variety of reasons they decided to take a pass. Among, other things - it's not profitable! Do you realize the expesnse of getting a vehicle certified for emissions? Between the expense for emissions certifications on converted cars plus extended warranties where is the payback for an industry of less then 4,000 unit/year.

When I say be careful for what you ask, I speak from experience. Some of the I/o's for the major limousine services stopped buying sedans from us since they were told by their companies how much more money they would make at the end of the rainbow.HAHAHA

Opps. Imagine paying $80,000 for a sedan and because you put high mileage on it you want to replace it at 100,000 miles. Only then do you find out that here is NO market for used high clock MB's. They loan payoff is in the $45 - 50,000 range and the best price anyone will pay for your used MB is $20,000. Yes, these people are now back to driving Cadillac Livery Sedans and Lincoln Town Cars.

I can't wait to hear from you once you do your first $1,000 brake job and $200 oil change. Don't believe me? Stop by a MB dealer and speak to a Service Adivsor. I've had a MB.

Yes, look at how that would effect the economy. The profits from the manufacture and sale of the vehicle would not be retained in this country, they would go back to Germany.

I am certain that the views expressed are your own and not Bobbit's. There is no way that Ty and Sara would ever bite the hand that feeds them.

Bump. Why did this thread get removed ? I couldn't find it anywhere. finally did by searching under "Towne"

Default And you are a Conservative?

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post
    Why not? We both know the Mercedes is a better vehicle than Lincoln although we might pay through the nose on maintenance. Mercedes might just give us a 200,000 mile warranty. Change is sometimes good. Look how many new jobs would be created if we changed and started buy Mercedes in mass numbers. Maybe they would have better financing terms that Ford Motor Credit. ...
    Also for the record, the opinions I express are my own and contrary to Bobit Publishing and LCT Magazine.
    I can't stop thinking that you don't see an issue with the possible demise of the American automobile manufacturing industry.

Why do I question your "conservative credentials"? Quite simply, if Ford, Chrysler, and/or GM were to go to the great junkyard in the sky and we ever had another World War there would be some serious issues. In both WWI and WWII the automobile manufacturers (American owned) stopped producing automobiles for commercail and passenger use. The factories were used for the production of aircraft, aircraft engines, army trucks, jeeps, and other military uses.

If we were in another war, would you want us to use a foreign manufacturer to bulid the vehicles and aircraft engines for our military? In case you forgot that company in Germany who you mentioned above built vehicles for our enemy during WWII. Would you prefer we build our vehicles in plants where the profits go to Japan? Hmm. Weren't they an enemy at one time too?

The conservatives are being less the intellectually honest regarding the situation with the auto industry. (1) Conservatives keep saying that it's time to break the unions. Blame the little guy. The union contracts are too sweet. Excuse me, but you take a salary 52 weeks a year. Before you bitch about the hourly rate on a Chrysler, Ford, or GM assembly line take a look at that factory worker's gross annual pay. Do you realize how many weeks that factories are idled, closed for re-tooling, and closed between model years?

(2) The biggest problem right now in auto showrooms is the public is having a difficult, and sometimes impossible, time getting financing. The banks are no longer loaning money to eachother. If the banks are not lending money to eachother there is no mony to lend to consumers. This is a result of the crisis in the banking industry not the auto industry.

(3) There is little consumer confidence right now. That lack of confidence came to a head with the crisis in the banking indusry.

(4) You make it sound like the only problems within the auto industry are with Chrysler, GM, and Ford. Do you not read Automotive News? Do you not read the business papers? Honda and Toyota are both hurting. And, yes, their government is lending them a helping hand <gasp>. I'm sure everyone here thinks that BMW is a great seller, a nice product and that they won't be having problems. Wrong. BMW diverted 20,000 units from North American to markets that buy cars vs. leasing them since BMW-North America is not profitable.

Lastly, take a good look at where your income comes from. Your income is derived from consumers and businesess. If any of the Big three manufacturers were to go down not only would their employees be on the unemployment line but so would ten others for each employee. Dealership employees, advertising agency employees, rail yard employees, transport truck drivers, radio and television employees since the advertising revenue would be lost.....In essense if 200,000 people lost their jobs in the auto industy economists say it would be ten-fold. There would be 2,000,000 people out of work.

I dare say that with an additional 2,000,000 people out of work we would not be in a recession; we would be in a depression. In that economic situation you and I would both be statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by BirmLimo - Michael Birmingham View Post
    First off , if the big 3 file bancruptcy this does not mean that they will close thier doors. Many , many companies all across the world file and then re organize and get better. Look at Dana , Owens Corning , etc........
    There is a big difference between a consumer item manufacturer doing a BK and an automobile manufacturer. If the company that makes your pots and pans goes out of business after you have a closetfull of the stuff, what's the big deal? If you misplace the lid for a pot you might not be able to find an exact match.

If the manufacturer of automobiles goes under they will take with them the part suppliers and sub-contracters. Now imagine if Ford goes down. What happens if the parts supplier can't survived on $.25 on the dollar and goes under. Your 2009 Town Car may sit in your garage for lack of replacement parts.

OK, so Ford does a BK and re-organizes. Will consumers, yourself included, have the consumer confidence that they will be there in 1 year, 2 years, or longer with spare parts and the promise of standing behind their warranty? There is a good chance that once their is a BK you will not have the confidence to purchase their products when you look down the road towards parts, service and warranty. This is not the same situation as having a mismatched lid on a pot.

I dont have much confidence in them now. they clearly can not run a profitable business.
    The governemt and it's many invasive and destructive policies have made domestic car companies uncompetetive and there is no sign that it is going to get better.

We as a country can not afford the now proposed 7 trillion dollars in bailouts on the table. We will all go under if this happens. No one will be able to pay it back.

What I find ironic is that all the people who said we can not afford this war( a mere 500 billion ) are in favor of this 7trillion dollar deal. ( this is a conservative estimate , some believe it will hit 10 trillion )

The main difference , the gov would take part ownership of the compaines it bails out. We now have a gov run financial system , the auto industry next , then housing , then civil war , then rebellion , then mass chaos and dispair.

Wall street is gone. All that's left is banks.

This "crisis" has been manufactured and grown for the last few years.

George Bush has started a major meltdown and has made it easy for the loss of America and all the greatness it once stood for.

Rick there is no trouble financing if you have good credit. Also the UAW contracts pay line workers almost $30.00 per hour higher than non UAW workers. As you can see this won't last.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Randolph View Post
    Rick there is no trouble financing if you have good credit. .
    Some local finance sources i.e. community banks and credit unions have been pretty immune. However, even with good credit I am seeing people (and especially limousine companies) turned down on a daily basis. People that were able to secure financing just three months ago are finding that affordable vehicle financing no longer exists. Banks are no longer loaning eachother money. If the bank can't borrow they can't lend.

Quote Originally Posted by BirmLimo - Michael Birmingham View Post
    I dont have much confidence in them now. they clearly can not run a profitable business.
    The governemt and it's many invasive and destructive policies have made domestic car companies uncompetetive and there is no sign that it is going to get better.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rick: You can't have it both ways. In one sentence you are blaming the (domestic) auto industry by saying that are not capab le of running a profitable business. In the next sentence you are saying that they can't run a business due to governmental policies (you must mean those pesky saftey standards and pollution standards that exist in virtually every developed nation). Hmm. you do realize that non-North American auto manufacturers are currently in the same boat as Ford, Chrysler, and GM when it comes to sales, money to lend, having too much profit in their SUV lines, etc?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Birm: We as a country can not afford the now proposed 7 trillion dollars in bailouts on the table. We will all go under if this happens. No one will be able to pay it back.
    Rick: A bailout would be a grant, a sum of money extended with the best wishes of the giver.
    A loan is an amount to be repaid with interest. The automakers are asking for a L O A N - just like the one Chrysler Corp. received many years ago and repaid.

Birm: George Bush has started a major meltdown and has made it easy for the loss of America and all the greatness it once stood for.

Rick We have a new administration, and Senate about to take the oaths of office. There is no need to be so pessimistic. The days of failed economic policies are quicky ending and in time our economic recovery will be successful.

[

And did you watch the Today show today? Did you see them grilled on how they pathetically showed up in three private jets to pitch to congress how much money they need. Do YOU realize this infuriates people.

Please, why can't YOU see it. If the guy with the brand new Mercedes or BMW was parked at the bottom of the off-ramp holding a sign "Will Work for Food" - would you throw money in the bucket? Why not? You know damned well why.

Now these guys are saying they will work for $1 or work for free and they are dumping their fleet of private jets.

TOO F**KING LATE! Should have tried all these things before coming after my tax dollars, those of my children, grandchildren and possibly great grandchildren. Big deal that they are huge companies. That gave them even more of an obligation to manage their money! Too bad they didn't see it that way until it was TOO LATE!

I have never considered myself a conservative. I believe in free enterprise and I believe in competition........we are at the dawn of a new age and possibly better than anything we have ever seen in the past.

Unfortunately, I cannot continue to comment on this topic anymore and I think everyone here knows why but I am again finishing with my personal viewpoint on the topic.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Send the tin cuppers packing!!
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill