Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Industry Knowledge Through Networking

Networking is not something you want to do only at the Shows. It is a year-around task for those who are serious about advancement. Making the effort to go to Association meetings in other market areas is a tremendous learning experience. Early in my career when my budget was limited I formed long-term relationships with Quality Operators in other markets via the telephone. I would read the magazine and limo newsletters cover to cover, then I would call each operator up that I read about. Some wouldn't give me the time of day, but others became mentors and valued subcontractors. Every connection that I made then I still have to this day. I don't think that a operator can survive without constant networking. You have to think outside your market area to learn how livery works. Your local competitors have no reason to assist you.

Dean Schuler
    Dean Schuler

Every single trade show that I have attended has offered great networking opportunities. Make room in your budget for as many shows are you can attend. Think of the cost as an investment-you will easily earn at least 10 times your investment back .

Dean Schuler
    Dean Schuler

You only truly learn "limo" by going outside your market area for knowledge. It will restore your faith in the limousine business to meet and speak with Quality Operators that run ethical & professional transportation firms. Long-term success in our trade is a very special thing. Don't forever be stuck in Limo 101 !! Today's rookies are the veterans of tomorrow...

Dean Schuler
    Dean Schuler

I know many astute operators who never go to the Shows. They are masters of networking and know that you must wake up and network every day if you are to reach the proper level that you desire...

Dean Schuler
    Dean Schuler

Make yourself a goal of at least 20 contacts per Show and you will be surprised at how your limo I.Q. grows...

Dean Schuler
    Dean Schuler

Senior Member Limo Padawan

to add my $.02, all operators in my area know each other. This is good and bad lol. Noone says anything good about the competitor, only the bad things.

Sure every one is competitive. The purpose of the associations is to speak as one voice when something like public transit agencies doing weddings with state funded trollies for $30.00 per hour or when franks airport service is using his beat up former NYC Taxi cab to take people to the air port for $10.00 a ride because he does not have to pay the several thousand a year for insurance like we legal guys do. We come together as an association but we still beat each other in the streets when it comes to business. To do anything else would be a violation of federal anti- trust laws.

David E. Merrill
    David E. Merrill

Senior Member Limo Padawan

but really, when I see a limo or a sedan with private plates vs. specialo LM-series, I'm wondering how do they do that

Member Limo Padawan

When you speak of networking in other markets are you talking 50-100 mile radius or cross country. I have spoken with associations in a different state because Iowa does not have one. They have welcomed me to their meetings.
    I have networked with other operators in a 50 mile radius and you must be careful that they don't hurt your business. I try to look at their cars before working with them and many I would not and do not wish to work with. This leaves me limited but I have come to realize that I must grow in order to serve my 80 mile radius.

I know what you mean about the 80 mile radius. My situation is about the same. If you were to look at a Map of michigan with Lake Huron on the east, starting at Bay city on the south going west to Mt Pleasant, north to Indian River and East to Rogers City you see the area I cover. In that area, there are three legal Limousine services consisting of 9 cars. There are several services south of Bay city but it cost and arm and a Leg for them to drive north to provide service.

We all try to get along up here but we really don't do each other any real favors.

David E. Merrill
    David E. Merrill

Big Cars, Cross-Country.

Dean Schuler
    Dean Schuler

Reach far outside your local market for the gold and you will find it.

Dean Schuler
    Dean Schuler

Networking is a way to locate the best chauffeurs possible from your local work pool. We have chauffeur recruiters on the payroll that work in a variety of occupations. A personal recommendation from one of the recruiters is a requirement for being hired at my company.
    Dean Schuler

Networking is finding the gold in people as opposed to the silver. Look for the Quality always in anything that you do....
    Dean Schuler

We recently received a large piece of business by direct referral from a client we had done a good job for awhile back. This particular book of business did not even go out for bid-it came directly to us. Network and always stay in touch with your clients !!
    Dean Schuler