Thread: building a limo

Default building a limo

I want to learn to build a limo from sedan and suv But have no idea where to start.Willing to pay if someone wants to teach from the scratch.thanks

I would probably go get a job at a local coach builder and try and learn as much as possible and get paid at the same time. What area are you in?
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net

Blog Entries

I had the opportunity once to tour a plant that builds hearse'.. it's very interesting to see what goes into taking a standard car and cutting it in-half and doing the modifications. They have a full assembly line of workers and machines, jigs and fixtures. They first pull a brand new Caddy in and remove glass, doors and interior parts. Then it goes to a jig that holds everything solid while the car is cut in-half. The jig then slides back to the preferred gap of the stretch and locks into position. From there they have frame sections, extended drive-shafts, brake lines, fuel lines and wiring that needs to be installed. After that the car goes to the body shop where they have the fiberglass shell shipped-in already formed, this is then attached to the body and body-work is done to join the two parts. After the car is painted it goes to the top shop to get the one-piece formed fiber-glass top installed. After that it's off to the interior shop for the interior to be installed.

I was amazed at the equipment, size of the shop needed and the out-sourced parts this place had to have in order to stretch a car. Although it doesn't sound like much to do at first-thought it is an extremely large under-taking for a company to properly stretch a standard car into a livery vehicle.

The other thing that the normal person doesn't think about is the paperwork and certifications needed for a company to do this legally. It's a wild business, one that I would personally stay away from.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    I
    I was amazed at the equipment, size of the shop needed and the out-sourced parts this place had to have in order to stretch a car. Although it doesn't sound like much to do at first-thought it is an extremely large under-taking for a company to properly stretch a standard car into a livery vehicle.

The other thing that the normal person doesn't think about is the paperwork and certifications needed for a company to do this legally. It's a wild business, one that I would personally stay away from.

I don't think truer words have been posted on any forum.