Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 80

Thread: Obama plan for the Limousine industry

  1. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Springfield Ohio
    Posts
    518

    Default Taxes

    Gunny, what a poor way to look at layoffs. First, maybe your people who had those stickers were looking at what choices they were given and took to best that was offered. Are telling us that you would layoff your best employee if he had a bumper sticker that you did not suport. This is U S A not USSR or China. I am sure I would not want to work for someone who thought in that way. So you might be a blessing to them . That best employee you might layoff might go to your other local Limousine service and take his customers with him and cost you moer than just paying a higher tax rate. My 2 cents worth

  2. #17
    Super Moderator gunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    5,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    Gunny, what a poor way to look at layoffs. First, maybe your people who had those stickers were looking at what choices they were given and took to best that was offered. Are telling us that you would layoff your best employee if he had a bumper sticker that you did not suport. This is U S A not USSR or China. I am sure I would not want to work for someone who thought in that way. So you might be a blessing to them . That best employee you might layoff might go to your other local Limousine service and take his customers with him and cost you moer than just paying a higher tax rate. My 2 cents worth
    1st of all as posted it was a chain e-mail that I threw out as food for thought

    2nd, Barry's whole campaign mantra was "Class Warfare" so welcome to the USSA Comrade
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

  3. #18
    Senior Member Salicete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Olney, Maryland - USA
    Posts
    1,175

    Default

    The Democratic Party is now airing ads that spell out the strategy for the Republicans for the next four years.

    The slogan they are pushing is , "Divided we fail."

    The agenda is that if everyone does not fall into line, then they are being obstructionist, when the fact of the matter is that is it in actuality legitimate descent, and a clear demonstration of a check and balance in action.

    Executive, Legislative, Judicial, Republican, Democratic, all names for entities that serve to limit the power of the other. The Democrats do not have a "super majority," so though they certainly will have more power, they will not be able to steamroll all their measures through.

    The opposition needs to stand their ground, even when they are being painted at obstructionists, un-American or disloyal in some way. Sure, that is just where the liberals will go, like spoiled kids who don't get their way, right away, but their time will pass.

    Can they do a lot of damage over the next four years, sure, can it be fixed? Yes, it can. I have a super-liberal daughter who is an Obama supporter and has been preaching the liberal agenda for years. She is just now getting a taste of reality as she begins to go out on her own and support herself. I fear that she is about to learn a most unpleasant life lesson.

    Liberals are most often liberal with the money and rights of other people.

    I don't dislike, bear ill will for, or have a lack of respect for the liberal portion of our population, but I do disagree with them, and therein lays the problem. Many of them see disagreement on a political level as hate on a personal level. That has been fruitful ground for the left wing, as they have convinced many that conservatism equals hate.

    This country was founded on the right to disagree, and for the next four years, I have been given the privilege of excising that right every day.

    By the way, many seem to think Obama was elected “Dictator.” In point of fact, he was only made President, a much less powerful office.
    Last edited by Salicete; November 9th, 2008 at 02:31 PM.

  4. #19
    Super Moderator gunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    5,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salicete View Post
    The Democratic Party is now airing ads that spell out the strategy for the Republicans for the next four years.

    The slogan they are pushing is , "Divided we fail."

    The agenda is that if everyone does not fall into line, then they are being obstructionist, when the fact of the matter is that is it in actuality legitimate descent, and a clear demonstration of a check and balance in action.

    Executive, Legislative, Judicial, Republican, Democratic, all names for entities that serve to limit the power of the other. The Democrats do not have a "super majority," so though they certainly will have more power, they will not be able to steamroll all their measures through.

    The opposition needs to stand their ground, even when they are being painted at obstructionists, un-American or disloyal in some way. Sure, that is just where the liberals will go, like spoiled kids who don't get their way, right away, but their time will pass.

    Can they do a lot of damage over the next four years, sure, can it be fixed? Yes, it can. I have a super-liberal daughter who is an Obama supporter and has been preaching the liberal agenda for years. She is just now getting a taste of reality as she begins to go out on her own and support herself. I fear that she is about to learn a most unpleasant life lesson.

    Liberals are most often liberal with the money and rights of other people.

    I don't dislike, bear ill will for, or have a lack of respect for the liberal portion of our population, but I do disagree with them, and therein lays the problem. Many of them see disagreement on a political level as hate on a personal level. That has been fruitful ground for the left wing, as they have convinced many that conservatism equals hate.

    This country was founded on the right to disagree, and for the next four years, I have been given the privilege of excising that right every day.

    By the way, many seem to think Obama was elected “Dictator.” In point of fact, he was only made President, a much less powerful office.

    I listened to many of Barry's stump speaches & noticed when the subject of "responsibility" or "service to nation" was spoken by the Messsiah, the crowd offered less than an enthusiastic cheer.

    Sacrifice for freedoms enjoyed is not part of the Liberal Agenda.

    Question is, when the bell is rang once more under Barry's watch, who will answer the the call?
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

  5. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TxLimoGuy View Post
    If the few percent of Americans who pay the majority of our taxes get to keep a little bit more of their hard earned money because their tax rate is lowered a bit, that is not a redistribution. It is the opposite of a redistribution if you re-read the definition.

    Do the wealthy benefit from that scenario? Absolutely. No argument there. They get to keep more of what they earned. But, getting to keep what you earned is not a re-distribution.

    That's the part that you don't wish to accept. The upper 5% after they are done with depreciation, write-offs, write-downs, deductions, offshore corporations (i.e. Halliburton) pay an effective tax rate that is lower then the (ever shrinking) middle class.

  6. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    For the statement "The rich get richer and the poor get poorer," that is a result of basic economic fundamentals. Quite often you will find the rich are rich because they know how to manage money and make proper investments, not to mention how hard they work. The poor get poorer because they are typically unwise in their spending habits and are unwilling to make the changes needed to better themselves. !
    Please don't use the typical neo-con claptrap that blames the victim. The poor are typically not poor by choice. When you look at the wonderful opportunites that this country has you need to look to see who has equal access to those opportunties. Who gets the best public school educations? Education is funded, in most places, by real estate taxes. Therefore those areas that have poor tax bases (poverty) can't afford to provide an education that is on the same level as that in middle and upper class areas.

    Education is one of the most important ways to break the cycle of poverty. Until we can improve the education that the poor receive we honestly can't expect much difference.

  7. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BirmLimo - Michael Birmingham View Post
    ...

    How can a person who buys a $ 15,000 Kia be more affected by sales tax than a person that pays $ 250,000 for a Bentley ?

    ...

    If true and fair taxation is the real goal , then the only fair system is a consumption tax.

    Real simple - anything you buy you pay 17%.
    No deductions , no cheaters , no IRS.

    That is the problem. A flat or consumption tax would shrink the size and power of the governement.

    We all know that is the last thing they want.
    ce.
    Ok. What you are proposing is a REGRESSIVE TAX and it DOES effect the poor and middle class greater then upper classes.

    Take for example a secretary that purchases a $15,000 KIA. Her gross annual income is probably around $65,000. In this area the sales tax on that vehicle would be 8.375%. Her sales tax liability on purchasing the Kia would be $1,256.25 which amount is .0193 of her income.

    A CEO of a major corporation that purchases a $250,000 Bentley. Based upon what we read that exexcutive between stock options, salary, and bonuses will probably be earning at least $5,000,000/year (if not $15,000,000 - $20,000,000). The sales tax liability on that Bentley will be $20,937.50 which is .0041 of the executive's income.

    The "flat" tax takes a greater proportion from the lower income earner. Look at it this way:

    Let's say that to meet basic living expenses and to live a simple life it takes $50,000. The person who earns 75,000 will be able to save/invest $25,000. That amount will not get spent and therefore it will not get taxed - the taxes being based upon the $50,000 that gets expenses. Now compare that to someone living "hand-to-mouth" earning $50,000/year. That person spends as much as he makes to live. Therefore, 100% of the poorer person's income is taxed. Hence, the tax is regressive.

    A "flat tax" is only beneficial to those that earn the most in comparrison to what they need to spend.

  8. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BirmLimo - Michael Birmingham View Post

    ...

    Reach across party lines my ass.

    I will not allow my country to be hijacked by Marxist followers.

    Most voters don't even know what soicalism is.
    They didn't know the issues are who supported the values they believ in due to a corrupt and biased media. ( Howard Stern of all people proved that )

    He is not my President - I would not salute him , shake his hand or even acknowledge his position or office.
    There you go. The very conservatives that wrap themselves up in our flag and rah rah democracy will only support the gov't when it's their people in power. Saying that you wouldn't support the president elect's administration brings back the old conservative war cry of "America - love it or leave it." Funny, you don't hear the progressives screaming for the conservatives to leave.

    How can one be a true American if they neither support democrcay or the president?
    Last edited by Rick E.; November 10th, 2008 at 01:18 PM.

  9. #24

    Default To Rick E

    I would love to know how someone that makes $ 75,000 doesn't pay taxes on $ 25,000 of it ?
    City ,state and fed income tax still comes out , doesn't it ?
    ( I challenge you to find anyone that makes 75k a year and puts 25k in savings )
    BTW - savings are taxed also. So is any profit you make on the money our gov allows us to keep after taking the first round of taxes.

    How is it 100% taxation when a person spends all the money they make ?

    I stood in line the other day at a carry out and all the "poor" people that can't afford their houses and fuel were buying beer , cigs , lotto , candy and other junk.

    People make choices. Some better than others.

    Over 95% of the mortgages in this country are paisd on time and not in default - so let's punish them for the 5% that lived beyond their means.

    How much do you volunteer at schools , or in any way to help the poor you care so much about ?

    I grew up in the hood. I am one of 11 children. My dad was a cop. We had 6 kids in one bedroom.

    He never owned a new car , a big house , took vacations , etc.

    I started my biz days after the 911 attacks( the day the chickens came home to roost as you progressives like to call it )

    I had no money in the bank , no investor , no family riches.

    I worked my ass off and still do.

    I do it to make my familys life better. I do it because I enjoy it. I do it because I take pride in myself and would never accept freebies from anyone.

    I am a veteran , and damn proud of it.

    How about you Rick E ? Ever shed any blood or tears for your fellow man , your God or your country ?

    Please get real with the not supporting the prez deal.

    You would have to be blind , dumb and deaf to suggest that the DUMS and Progs have been supportive of any repub prez.

    You say we don't hear PROGS asking for us to leave , give me a break. Every overly important celeb has been shooting their mouth off for years.

    As far as war goes , ask this simple question. Who was in power during WW1 , WW2 , Korea , Viet Nam ? DUMS have brought us into more wars than REPUBS. God knows you PROGS and DUMS hate facts and history.

    As far as not supporting a democracy , you are very right.

    I support the REPUBLIC and the CONSTITUTION.

    The United States is not a democracy and our founding fathers wanted to be sure it never became one. If you are not sure of the difference , look it up.

  10. #25
    Member Limo Padawan
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Paso Robles Ca.
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick E. View Post
    Ok. What you are proposing is a REGRESSIVE TAX and it DOES effect the poor and middle class greater then upper classes.

    Take for example a secretary that purchases a $15,000 KIA. Her gross annual income is probably around $65,000. In this area the sales tax on that vehicle would be 8.375%. Her sales tax liability on purchasing the Kia would be $1,256.25 which amount is .0193 of her income.

    A CEO of a major corporation that purchases a $250,000 Bentley. Based upon what we read that exexcutive between stock options, salary, and bonuses will probably be earning at least $5,000,000/year (if not $15,000,000 - $20,000,000). The sales tax liability on that Bentley will be $20,937.50 which is .0041 of the executive's income.

    The "flat" tax takes a greater proportion from the lower income earner. Look at it this way:

    Let's say that to meet basic living expenses and to live a simple life it takes $50,000. The person who earns 75,000 will be able to save/invest $25,000. That amount will not get spent and therefore it will not get taxed - the taxes being based upon the $50,000 that gets expenses. Now compare that to someone living "hand-to-mouth" earning $50,000/year. That person spends as much as he makes to live. Therefore, 100% of the poorer person's income is taxed. Hence, the tax is regressive.

    A "flat tax" is only beneficial to those that earn the most in comparrison to what they need to spend.

    Your above is interesting but I see one major flaw. People, in general and as a majority,will always spend and live just above their means. Simply look @ the credit fiasco the US is currently in. Give a guy a dollar and he'll spend $1.10. We are a nation (if not world) of consumers built on an industry based on consumerism. They make it, we want it, we buy it sometimes no matter what the cost is aka: credit. A flat tax would take some getting used to but over time it would become "the norm" andb become accepted as so.

  11. #26
    Super Moderator gunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    5,325

    Default

    The Libs sense of fairness is to slam the guy who works 60-80 hours a week in building a business to build a better life for themselves & family with higher tax ratio's & deflect it with some bullshit Halliburton crap.

    Don't even get me on the farking money that is pumped into inner city schools whereas the cost per pupil exceeds that of which folks lay out to send their kids to Parochial Schools while they still pay local schools taxes & their fed & state taxes are dumped into the inner city school failure systems because the farking 3rd generation welfare parents could give 2 shits if their kids learn or not.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

  12. #27
    Senior Member Wade Randolph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    Posts
    2,472

    Default RickE

    RickE Karl Marx is smiling down on you buddy!

  13. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BirmLimo - Michael Birmingham View Post
    I would love to know how someone that makes $ 75,000 doesn't pay taxes on $ 25,000 of it ?
    City ,state and fed income tax still comes out , doesn't it ?
    ( I challenge you to find anyone that makes 75k a year and puts 25k in savings )
    BTW - savings are taxed also. So is any profit you make on the money our gov allows us to keep after taking the first round of taxes.

    How is it 100% taxation when a person spends all the money they make ? .
    Please refer back to your post # 13 (Nov 8th @ 7:36 pm). In that post you mentioned a flat tax aka a consumption tax. With that type of taxation the tax is not computed on what is earned but what is spent.

  14. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BirmLimo - Michael Birmingham View Post
    I
    I worked my ass off and still do.

    I do it to make my familys life better. I do it because I enjoy it. I do it because I take pride in myself and would never accept freebies from anyone.

    I am a veteran , and damn proud of it.

    How about you Rick E ? Ever shed any blood or tears for your fellow man , your God or your country ?wanted to be sure it never became one. If you are not sure of the difference , look it up.
    So now you are suggesting that only conservatives work long and hard hours? I suppose you think that only conservatives can be successful. Sheesh, talk about not wanting to let facts get in the way. Do you honestly believe that we are a success in the limousine, livery, funeral (and retail auto) industries because we have been doing the wrong thing for the past few decades?

    You also might wish to ask around to some of those people with industry knowlege and experience about our personal and corporate donations; our service to the community and to this industry. We quietly go about our way doing what we feel is right, we don't need to stand up on a bully pulpit and to shout out our contributions while beating our chest.

  15. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BirmLimo - Michael Birmingham View Post
    I
    Please get real with the not supporting the prez deal.

    You would have to be blind , dumb and deaf to suggest that the DUMS and Progs have been supportive of any repub prez.

    You say we don't hear PROGS asking for us to leave , give me a break. Every overly important celeb has been shooting their mouth off for years.

    As far as war goes , ask this simple question. Who was in power during WW1 , WW2 , Korea , Viet Nam ? DUMS have brought us into more wars than REPUBS. God knows you PROGS and DUMS hate facts and history.

    As far as not supporting a democracy , you are very right.

    I support the REPUBLIC and the CONSTITUTION.

    The United States is not a democracy and our founding fathers wanted to be sure it never became one. If you are not sure of the difference , look it up.
    Having a dialogue with you almost happend. But, I can't see any reason for it to continue. You have admitted that you won't respect or acknowledge the president-elect, you show no respect in your posts to those that disagree with you.

    Would it be too much for you to speak without referring to those with whom you disagree by the charming little names you hear on AM radio? You can look back over my prior posts and I didn't find it necessary to do any name calling.

    Just remember that AM radio might at times be entertaining, but it is not always truthful.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •