Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The LimoBus Party Bus Business

Blog Entries

Any advice on what to look for in purchasing a slightly used limo bus? I am looking at either a Turtle Top or a Ford Krystal conversion. Don't really know anyone in the area with a turtle top but it seems like a heck of a better deal comparing the two.

Any advice?

Unfortunately I can't afford right now to buy a used bus and convert it because I don't have that kind of liquid cash, so payments is the next best option.

Junior Member Limo Padawan

J,
    Right now is a great time to find repo buses for good prices (sad to say). Did you check out my post on motorcoach buses? There were a few good links on there that have some buses for sale. How many passenger bus are you looking for? I have a guy that I farm out work to and he has alot of connections for limo buses. Let me know what your looking for and I will ask if to see if he has anything that he knows of.

Junior Member Limo Padawan

Oh one other thing, I know a guy who has a 16 passenger turtle top that he would probably sell for $20,000. It is a little older but in great shape. The new engine has right around 10,000 miles on it

Default Shuttle Bus

You guys might check with some of the senior homes in your area. I picked up my 28 passenger bus for 1500. They bought a new one and sold me the old one . A 94 gas engine with 68,000 miles. Had a small roof leak ,that cost me about 500 to fix. I think I am into this bus right for anything I might want to do with it later if needed. Pics on my web site.I am going to keep it a shuttle bus ,not going to do a limo party bus with this one. Working with our carriage service a shuttle bus fits better. Looking for another one to make into a party bus. Cloth seats and partys do not mix very well.

How many of you running party buses have been able to find reliable drivers with CDLs? Do you drive them yourselves? What does a party host do that the driver can't do? What kind of pay scale works? Anyone have tips on getting in compliance with the state and federal regulations?

I have party buses and while I am licensed to drive them, I have not driven a run since Buck Owens died in 2006 and I drove the family (not in a party bus of course). I think that it has been fairly easy for us as we only hire people to drive that have a Class B Commercial License with a passenger endorsement. This way, the employee can drive anything in the fleet from a Towncar to a bus. They pay is always the same as we employ people to drive and offer a specific hourly wage to drive anything from a Pinto to a limo bus. Okay, kidding about the Pinto but we do contract to transfer human blood between cities in an emergency and we have a PT Cruiser just for such jobs. So, don't make the mistake of offering different rates for different vehicles. Hire with the intention that they will drive every vehicle in your fleet and offer an amount that is reasonable for you geographic area.

I myself hire rookies, with no livery experience at all at $13.25 per hour. They can go on up to $18.00 per hour. Of course they earn cash tips on top of that but even if they don't, entry level police officers are making about $20/hr. so it is a decent living even without tips.

I only use a host/hostess on long trips such as wine tours. I don't use them for bar hops. The host/hostess is an off duty chauffeur and they get paid whatever their hourly rate of pay happens to be. I also charge extra for hosted service so they are "self funded".

As for complying with legal requirements, call your state DOT for advice or visit their website. You can become a DOT Carrier through onlione registration. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...escription.htm
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Default Drivers

I am very lucky , I know one of the three people who give the state C D L tests in our area. She also has driven school buses for over twenty years. I have good acess to bus drivers. Talking to some of the local bus garages might help in locating drivers looking to pick up some extra cash.

Blog Entries

The 5 busses that i own are less than 26000 GVRW so a Class C with a P2 endorsement is whent we need here. I am not planning to own a big motorcoach till next year and then will have to upgrade to a class b with p1 endorsement with airbrakes. My local dmw tester allowed me to take the test on a Stretch Hummer limo. He actually had to call the state first to verify and they did allow it making me the first one to do so. It seats 18 people with the front seats.

My main three full time bus drivers have a CDL class b, the good benifit is that they can also drive sedans when bus work is slow, but the sedan driver cannot do vice versa. So far only two of my sedan drivers have been interested in upgradding to a CDL License. Most of them are happy driving sedans and non cdl cars.