Thread: New Guy in New Jersey with Rolls

Default New Guy in New Jersey with Rolls

I live in Northern New Jersey and have a classic '64 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
    It is mechanically restored at a huge cost, to say nothing of the cosmetics. Many of the old Clouds are horror stories of unreliability.

The "typical" rates in our area for a car like this is $95-$150/hr++ but there are more tire kickers than takers.

What hourly rate would get people excited? These cars are expensive to operate. If I dropped down to $75/hr ++ and $2/mile would I get the car to roll? What if I eliminated the gratuity from the required cost at this rate? Ideas appreciated

Junior Member Limo Padawan

I think it safe to say that most companies have to change rates around to stay competitive with the market right now. However you have a unique piece of equipment and more or less for specialty occassions. I think that if you stay in the $90-$100 price range but really focus on Wedding packages you will be able to put it on the road. Also remeber alot of people are going to request your vehicle as a get away car for the bride and groom......Make sure you have a transfer rate that will work for you.

Smile How To Sell

You don't want a rate that will make the civilians-the general public go wild. They favor K-Mart specials and usually get the short end of the stick buying package deals from discount operators in the custom car business. You really want to know how to market to the folks who only care about superb quality and impeccable service. American Express has a nifty list. If I had your vehicle I would have some very nice marketing materials and I would visit every upscale country club, bridal shop, sports team, high-end real estate agents, Destination Management Companies, plastic surgeons, hospitals in affluent areas, entertainment agencies, business radio stations, upscale churches, top of the line hotels etc. MOST OPERATORS HAVE ALWAYS MADE THIS MISTAKE: They think it is the car, not the service. MAKE DAMN SURE YOUR CHAUFFEURS ARE THE BEST. This ain't the car business sir-IT IS THE SERVICE BUSINESS. My cars are stunning-MY CHAUFFEURS MAKE MY COMPANY . The top line hotels will ask if your chauffeurs are licensed tour guides and can give custom tours. Are you ready ? Liquor wholesalers are a super source of business-if you have a superior car with amenties and a Professional Chauffeur. The car is a major part of it, but the Chauffeur makes all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by dabbdc View Post
    I live in Northern New Jersey and have a classic '64 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
    It is mechanically restored at a huge cost, to say nothing of the cosmetics. Many of the old Clouds are horror stories of unreliability.

The "typical" rates in our area for a car like this is $95-$150/hr++ but there are more tire kickers than takers.

What hourly rate would get people excited? These cars are expensive to operate. If I dropped down to $75/hr ++ and $2/mile would I get the car to roll? What if I eliminated the gratuity from the required cost at this rate? Ideas appreciated
    Dean Schuler

This is exactly the very line I wanted to get in.I have looked at the '65 Silver Clouds as the true limosine. Style is classic. Dean is right,service is king and will pay royally.My idea would be to check other specialty limos and charge accordingly. Or figure in all costs, insurance, maintainance(big item on a Rolls.Will you do some simple things like oil changes or use genuine Rolls service?),fuel,laborand figure cost per mile.I have another idea.How about a fleet service center, renting, leasing,servicing limos, buses,etc?

I would never advocate changing your prices to stay competitive. People in the service business either have it or you don't and you must aim at the clients you desire.

As Dean mentioned, you can target AMEX card holders or other people who appreciate service. You can get a room at the La Quinta that is very nice but it will never compare to The Ritz. You can stay at Holiday Inn but it will never compare to the Crowne Plaza. Those high end hotels would never drop their price to get a Motel 6 customer and neither would I.

If people call me and they are shopping and make any kind of stupid statement or question such as, "Is that the best you can do"? or "Do you have any kind of discounts"? I immediately ask them if they are looking for the cheapest limo in town. If they answer "yes", I GIVE THEM THE NUMBER of another service. Not a competitor, because we are not competing for the same clients. The people looking for the best "deal" or cheapest rate are usually looking to charter on a one time basis and I am more interested in finding repeat clients who love and appreciate the lap of luxury and are willing to pay again and again for it.

Service IS what it is all about.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Smile Great Chauffeurs

Mr. Luff's chauffeurs are always one of the high points when I visit Bakersfield. Jim Luff understands the service delivery equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post
    I would never advocate changing your prices to stay competitive. People in the service business either have it or you don't and you must aim at the clients you desire.

As Dean mentioned, you can target AMEX card holders or other people who appreciate service. You can get a room at the La Quinta that is very nice but it will never compare to The Ritz. You can stay at Holiday Inn but it will never compare to the Crowne Plaza. Those high end hotels would never drop their price to get a Motel 6 customer and neither would I.

If people call me and they are shopping and make any kind of stupid statement or question such as, "Is that the best you can do"? or "Do you have any kind of discounts"? I immediately ask them if they are looking for the cheapest limo in town. If they answer "yes", I GIVE THEM THE NUMBER of another service. Not a competitor, because we are not competing for the same clients. The people looking for the best "deal" or cheapest rate are usually looking to charter on a one time basis and I am more interested in finding repeat clients who love and appreciate the lap of luxury and are willing to pay again and again for it.

Service IS what it is all about.
    Dean Schuler

Welcome to the board and thanks for posting!