Thread: Excursion misfire

Default Excursion misfire

Hi all,

I have got a 2000 ford Excursion 6.8 V10 and the limo is sputtering and missing and very poor to drive.

So far i have replaced the egr valve, air mass sensor, all the coils and plugs and still the same issue.

The code which i am getting is:

P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected with P0303, P0305, P0306, P0308, P0309.

What could be the issue?

Thanks

I work for a company that has a 2000 Ford Excursion 6.8L V10 and we have had some engine issues in the past. This is going to be a weird question...but when the engine is running, do you hear a slight tapping or ticking sound? It is soft but should be fairly noticable and increases with engine speed.

Also, when you replaced all the spark plugs, you didn't happen to notice some rather odd characteristics in the condition of the spark plugs, did you? Like maybe the side electrode had been hit causing the gap to be greatly decreased? And if so, which cylinders did they come from?
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Blog Entries

I would check for a vacume leak from the pcv line going to the top of the intake manifold.There is a vacume boot that leaks all the time and will cause the problem you are having.Also ck the fuel preasure.When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? You said you replaced the plugs and all 10 coils, Please tell me you only used motorcraft plugs and coils. If you didnt take then out now! I still work as a tech by day,I see many problems with non ford parts like plugs and coils.If your mas air flow senser is a re maned part from Autozone, Return it and get a new 1 from ford. If you can give me more info about what the truck is doing I will try to help you.

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

I would agree with Elegant, Ford's ignitions have always been very particular.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

There also tends to be a flaw with the 6.8L V10 engine that Ford produces in that it tends to blow out spark plugs. My mechanic has several fleets that he services and he has seen this to be a relatively common problem with these engines. When that happens, you get the damaged spark plug, bad compression (for obvious reasons), and it sounds like a go-cart going down the road.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Blog Entries

what fixed it??

Evidently, it is a flaw with the design of the engine. In both cases that this has happened, the spark plug eventually blew out and you have a big hole in your engine so you lose compression. The fix when this happens is to re-tap that particular cylinder for the spark plug. I don't know what would fix it prior to this stage seeing as how it looks like something physically slammed into the spark plug in order to blow it out.

I just talked to someone else here about this problem...his thought is maybe a bad crank sensor? I'm not sure. If you ever get the fix, I think we all would like to know.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

Smile Master Limo Mechanic

Call Alan at 504-220-2475 and get your credit card ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by luxlimo View Post
    Hi all,

I have got a 2000 ford Excursion 6.8 V10 and the limo is sputtering and missing and very poor to drive.

So far i have replaced the egr valve, air mass sensor, all the coils and plugs and still the same issue.

The code which i am getting is:

P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected with P0303, P0305, P0306, P0308, P0309.

What could be the issue?

Thanks
    Dean Schuler

Los Angeles am8tam@yahoo.com (323)919-3625

hey bro find the old spark plugs and find the just like it i mean same number in the spark plugs when you go to the store they give the one for that car but the number can make a big prablms i have the same prablms hope this help .Tim

Senior Member Limo Padawan limo bill's Avatar

uridelimo,

Take a spelling class too. " prablms" ( twice in your last post ) You can't be that stupid.

motorcraft coils done the job.... think i had cheap coils before....

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luxlimo View Post
    motorcraft coils done the job.... think i had cheap coils before....
    From what I have seen, they don't necessarily have to be cheap not to work. Ford's ignition systems are terribly picky-Motorcraft is really the only way to go with Ford.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Senior Member Limo Padawan vipentertainment's Avatar

limo bill
    i couldn't help but notice that you like to correct people. that being said i thought i might give you a grammer lesson.

your email should read "take a spelling class as well"

surely you can't be that stupid... haha
    Chad Ingwersen
    VIP Transportation
    www.viptransportation1.com

Senior Member Limo Padawan limo bill's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vipentertainment View Post
    limo bill
    i couldn't help but notice that you like to correct people. that being said i thought i might give you a grammer lesson.

your email should read "take a spelling class as well"

surely you can't be that stupid... haha
    Excellent point VIP. I will correct that in the future , before it becomes a "prablem" ... hahahah

Senior Member Limo Padawan vipentertainment's Avatar

limo bill
    now that last post was funny! have a prosperous year my friend
    Chad Ingwersen
    VIP Transportation
    www.viptransportation1.com