Thread: Limo book?

Hello Out there Follow Limo Drivers
    I am just breaking into the biz
    56 yrs old a new driver
    Is there any books on the ettique of a driver?
    Mortamus

Welcome to the forum Mortamus glad to have you!

I bet there is a book out there but it might be from 1914 or something published in england.

They got some new fangled DVD's and online courses for sale on that subject now. Here are a few sources:

Online Chauffeur Training - $150

The Ultimate Chauffeur Training from MTG - $300

Or you could just ask questions about what areas you are concerned with here online for free.

And if you want to perform a search of the forum here we have talked about just about every subject concerning limousine chauffeuring.

It's not rocket science but there definitely are some tricks of the trade, most people just pick them up from other drivers as they go along if there is no standard training set up at the company you are starting with.

Good Luck! And ask away!
    Steve Walker ppvsteve@gmail.com

Thanks for your quick ans

When you get out to open a door do you go around the back or the front?

Does anyone offer a type of music?

How about pictures or do most bing their own cameras?

do you always stay in the limo while they are in at dinner?
    I take it you park where you can see them come out
    Do you give them your cell number so you can be told when to come back to the entrance?
    thanks everyone
    Mortamus

> When you get out to open a door do you go around the back or the front?
    I think that one is a personal preference, I myself exit my drivers door and head to the back and around to the passenger side rear door. Just seems awkward going around the front. But maybe there is a good reason for it?? Anyone?

> Does anyone offer a type of music?
    Some drivers carry a catalog of CD's for their clients. I myself have never been asked for any so I do not know how much they use them. I would think it would be quite an investment to keep it up to date with all the latest music. I do however always remind people when I greet them at the pick up that they are free to bring along their favorite CD. Because I heard to many times "oh I wish we would have brought that CD" so it's nice to remind them it's an often forgotten item.

What I do though is set the radio to the type of run I am doing and keep it at a low enough volume so they know it's on but can still hear me. Something like:
    Corporate airport run = AM News Radio station
    Funeral = Classical or easy listening station
    Concert = whatever genre the concert is find that genres station (symphony, country, rock, rap, classic rock)
    Party's = top 40 station usually latest hits of the day

On the topic on entertainment it is nice to have a children's DVD or VHS tape to keep any young kids entertained on trips (even short trips). The parents appreciate that. I am currently sporting the Sponge Bob Square pants DVD. And yes sometimes I watch it!

Now all this applies to a limo. If you are in a sedan your first question when the client gets in is what station they would like to listen to since you have control of that in a sedan up front.

> How about pictures or do most bring their own cameras?
    Yea the majority will bring their own cameras if it is a special occasion. They may ask you though to take the picture for them. And offer to do this also. That's a nice thing to do. Would not be to bad of an idea to have your digital camera with you and if the group did not bring one offer to get a few group shots for them and email them to one of the people. I would not however hand over a $200 camera for the drunks to play with. You could do disposable cameras but really if they don't think ahead to bring a camera it's probably nothing they want to capture in time anyway.

> do you always stay in the limo while they are in at dinner?
    This will largely depend on the policy of your employer. Many owners require that the drivers stay with the vehicle at all times or at least have it in sight at all times if they are in an establishment eating . But my rule is from the time they call me, even if they call early, I want to be pulling up to get them inside of 5 minutes. So this really limits the eating choices you can do while you are eating your dinner during a run. But if they are going to dinner you can usually count on a good hour of time to yourself. If they go to a club they might be there for three hours or be kicked out within 30 minutes, so you always have to be ready.

> I take it you park where you can see them come out
    If you can that is always best but it will not always be possible. And many times a tip to the valet guys will get you a place up close to wait in, sometimes there is simply no room. I always tell them "I will try to be close within view but if you do not see me give me a call". If you do get a spot directly in front of the place they are in it is then customary for a chauffeur to wait standing outside the vehicle. In other words you should be ready to go standing at that rear door as soon as they walk out of the restaurants door. Not behind the wheel with a newspaper in your face. If you want to relax find a place around the corner where the clients cannot see you. If you smoke you should never do that anywhere the clients can see you doing it.

> Do you give them your cell number so you can be told when to come back to the entrance?
    Yes always give them your card with your cell number and the offices phone number on it. I say that again, ALWAYS! Even if they say "oh no I don't need your cell just meet us back here at midnight". Well what you or they don't know is that the police will have the street shut down at 11pm and you have to meet them somewhere you did not drop them off at so you will have to guide them in via cell phone. And say you got 4 couples give a card to each man. Not only is it good advertising but if they get split up at an event they each can get in contact with you and find out where you are. This item is the thing that will cause you the most headaches. Don't be stingy with cards with your cell number on them.

One thing to mention here your employer may actually not want you to give out your cell number to a client and rather have the people call into the main office number and they will dispatch directly to you. So that just varies from one company to another.

Some other random tips:
    When you drop them off anywhere try to stay where you have dropped them for ten minutes. If you can't (to busy with traffic or valet activity) go around the block and wait for ten minutes. So many times they forget something in the limo and call you back to get it. It's great when you can just pull back up really quickly or are still waiting outside. This tip just really makes your job easier.

If a glass breaks on the bar at the next stop you can clean up take out all of the drinks out of the ice chest and use another rock glass or plastic cup (not your hands) to scoop out all the ice and throw it out. Then clean the ice chest with paper towels really getting any shard of glass that may be in there. Having broken glass mixed in with ice is bad news. Not only for the risk of a shard going into a clients mouth but you or them reaching in for a coke and getting a cut.

Once you drop them off and have time to yourself these are the things you should do in this order:
    1. Clean up the rear of limo (the cleanliness level you go into will be dictated by your employer)

2. Review your next destination and plan your route to it based on the direction on the street you think you are going to be picking them up in. Many times when you try to plan before the trip on the map it looks easy but when you get to the first location you see that you cannot make a left out of the restaurant parking lot so you have to figure out a way back to the freeway from taking a right. Also if the next location is close by (remember my five minute rule) and you have never been there before do a drive by using the same route you plan to take and give it a test run. Where would be the best place to drop them, can you get into the driveway, can you get out of the driveway, should you drop on the street, maybe a back entrance would be better?. Taking the same route you plan to take will eliminate any surprises of closed streets and detours. Better to get lost with an empty car than a full one.
    3. Use the restroom - even if you don't think you need to go give it a try anyway, never know when you will have another opportunity.

4. Fuel up or top off if you need to.

5. Take a break and check your cell phone to make sure it has a strong signal where you are parked. Probably should do that at the beginning when you park.

At the end of the run after dropping them off and saying goodbye immediately go into the back of the limo, turn on all the lights, and put all glasses back into their holders (people seem to leave them out at the end of the night) so they do not fall when you take off. And give all the nooks and crannies (behind the top of the seats, rear package shelf) of the limo a feel with your hand for anything they left behind. If it is anything valuable knock on the door and give it to them. If it's random stuff they may want and it's a nice neighborhood you can just leave it on the porch or mailbox if you think they have already gone to bed. If they are going into a secured condo security gate type thing ask them to wait while you give the limo a once over for anything they left behind, only takes a minute and it will save you a trip back to deliver it back to them. Also this end of trip inspection is when you should be checking for damage to the limo. Torn seat, broken or missing glasses stuff like that. If you find something notify your office if you can't get a hold of anyone at your company bring it to the attention of the customer as they will be hearing from your boss on the matter.

If you are planning on picking them up at midnight then getting on a freeway you should be tuning into the news radio station at 11:30 and getting a few traffic reports in so you can hear of freeway closures, major accidents and the like.

What else???

Wow ShakeMaster!!
    Very nice!! yes good tips everything helps nothing like experince trial and error is the best

I thank you Sir
    Mortamus
    PS Do you drive a long one say like a 140 or 200 kind Do you find its hard to get in and out of places a lot of backing up?
    It would be nice if the rear wheels turned also.

Your behavior in your position will determine if you are either a "DRIVER" or a "CHAUFFEUR"

There are strong differences between "Limo Drivers" and "Limo Chauffeurs"

Chauffeurs don't chit-chat unless chit-chat is initalized by the client.
    Chauffeurs assist with luggage.
    Chauffeurs open and close doors.
    Chauffeurs know their destination without asking for the client directions.
    Chauffeurs don't talk on their cell phone while in contact with the client.
    Chauffeuers act as a servant to the client.
    Chauffeurs drive safely.
    Chauffeurs dress appropriately.

Drivers talk whenever they feel like it.
    Drivers dress however they feel.
    Drivers ask the client for directions.
    Drivers talk to the client regardless of the client's preference.
    Drivers have the radio ON/OFF in accordance with their preferences.
    Drivers drive and that's all.
    The Redondo Beach School of Numbers
    A graduate with full honors ...

Steve

An excellent reply as usual, but may I enlighten you on why you go around the BACK of a limousine to open the doors.
    In the early days it was because you should not be seen by the client, you were just there but not acknowledged. Around 1950 the reason changed, and it allows the Chauffeur to check that the rear doors are closed correctly, and to check the rear of the limousine in case you want to reverse.

Dick Hall

Do you drive a long one say like a 140 or 200 kind Do you find its hard to get in and out of places a lot of backing up?
    It would be nice if the rear wheels turned also.
    Yes I drive a 200" Hummer and a 180" Excursion. Yes very hard to manuever sometimes.

But here is another tip for you. Try to avoid backing at all times. Backing is when you will hit something 80% of the time so avoiding it is all the better. So if you see you have to go somewhere and there is no way you can get out of there without backing, think if you really need to go in there in the first place. I try to go entire runs without backing a single time. Only done it about 4 times though it's tough. If you do have to back up and see some other chauffeurs standing around don't be afraid to ask for a hand for someone to watch your rear while you back up. It's our code to help each other out.

4 wheel steering? Oh yea the operaters would love that yet another system to fail and have some costly repairs on!! LOL

Thanks Mr. Hall I knew there had to be a good reason for going around the back. However on todays cars where we are 120 inches in front of the customers no matter witch way we go front or back they are going to see us coming.

I'm not sure what your name is but you are the prettiest here

yes very well put if you have to talk on your cell it should be done with a ear piece so you don't have to hold your phone to your ear I keep an ear piece in all the time
    First thing I do is give my card to the client and let them know Ithey can be intouch with me with my cell