Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Local Associations, Huh, What Are They Good For?

Now I'm into Super Bowl research it dawned on me when I pulled a 04 2006 LCT article about the Detroit Super Bowl whereas Prez Rich Greiner pointed out that there were Michigan Operators that went to bed hungry. That these motor carriers, in compliance with Michigan laws that I will take a shot at were drawn up by GLLA as they are worshipped as the tables of stone brought down from Mt Sinai, were shoved aside for out-of-state Carey operatives. Juggernaut Carey imported 750 affiliate vehicles & basically screwed duly licensed Michigan Operators out of work.

Question is why didn't the GLLA protest such & force upon officials the demand that all GLLA members eat before out-of-state Carey affiliates get a piece of the pie? Or is it that the GLLA rank & file did feast while the smaller operators played second fiddle to Carey operatives?

........Absolutely Nothing!
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

If I remember correctly Gunny I belive Carey had a procedure where companies had to register with them in order to get on a list to get the work.

I seem to recall the GLLA promoting that also to it's members at least throught the Discussion forum they had set up. Maybe even on here also.

So either the local companies:
    1. Were not in compliance with Carey's standards for service
    2. Failed to send in the propper paperwork
    3. Did not want to accept what Carey was paying for the jobs.
    4. Thought they could do better on thier own getting customers at top dollar.

I don't know but I am sure Carey would have preferred local companies with local drivers who knew the area as opposed to the headache of out of state driver who they probly had to babysit the entire weekend to make sure they did not get lost.

Just sayin!
    Steve Walker ppvsteve@gmail.com

Quoting the referenced article, " the only fustration that GLLA members had was seeing the large number of limousines brought in from other states when there were still legal operators in Michigan who had equipment that went un-utilized". R. Greiner

Legal Operators I will assume are those individuals whose vehicles meet the standards set by law and are duly licensed by the state to provide passenger transportation.

We can make the assumption that Carey came aboard & decided what vehicles met its standard & those which didn't were sent packing & 750 affiliate vehicles that did meet Carey standards were imported. But the article doesn't state such.

My question would be, who ran the show? One company or the association as a whole? And being the distrusting person that I am coupled with the logistics involved says that the 750 was planned from day one to feed Carey affiliates.

Gunny Carey is known to cut out it's own franchisee in Super Bowl towns. They move in with their own cars, RV's to house the staff and a mobile dispatch office. The local franchisee gets the table scraps. They are quite the compassionate organization. It's known as "eating your own".

Senior Member Limo Padawan

The frustation were the out of state vehicles that did not get legal.

There was not enough man power to arrest those who were not in compliance.

I would say maybe 2 dozen arrests were made during the week.

Also those locals who were hungery and didn't work are to blame themselves. I an out of state company can come in, get legal, and get business. Then why can't the locals. The problem was that the one car guys depended on someone else to book the cars instead of going out and getting their own business.

I don't feel bad.

BTW the 750 number is nooooooooo where close to the actual number.

Way to high.

The state did not decal no where near that amount.

The state based their temp office at the same hotel Carey set up their temp office. Which by the way was rather impressive.

Originally posted by Wade Randolph:
    Gunny Carey is known to cut out it's own franchisee in Super Bowl towns. They move in with their own cars, RV's to house the staff and a mobile dispatch office. The local franchisee gets the table scraps. They are quite the compassionate organization. It's known as "eating your own".
    Wade,
    I do need to be educated on a Carey type operation. What I'm assuming what you mean is that there is an actual Carey Transportation Service with Carey vehicles on one hand & then the franchisee's who run under XXX Limo in various locations on the other hand. And what you are saying is that for a Super Bowl type event Carey Operations, drivers & vehicles somehow manage to roll into town & take over the whole transportation show pocketing the majority of the bucks while locals & even its own affiliates are placed on a back burner. Am I close?

Originally posted by nkokas:
    The frustation were the out of state vehicles that did not get legal.

There was not enough man power to arrest those who were not in compliance.

I would say maybe 2 dozen arrests were made during the week.

Also those locals who were hungery and didn't work are to blame themselves. I an out of state company can come in, get legal, and get business. Then why can't the locals. The problem was that the one car guys depended on someone else to book the cars instead of going out and getting their own business.

I don't feel bad.
    I went on the Miami Super Bowl site & the link for ground transportation went directly to Carey. I will asume that the same held true for Detroit. Could be that small operators are not networked enough so that the out-of-towners know to bypass the link provided by the Super Bowl site & play lets find a limo service in a strange city.

Originally posted by nkokas:
    BTW the 750 number is nooooooooo where close to the actual number.

Way to high.

The state did not decal no where near that amount.

The state based their temp office at the same hotel Carey set up their temp office. Which by the way was rather impressive.
    Title of the referenced article is:

Super Bowl Goes Smoothly For Michigan Operators
    Their only complaint was a deluge of out-of-state limousines

"Carey brought in about 750 vehicles from other states through affiliates and rental car companies". R. Greiner, Prez & Executive Director GLLA

My question would be, who ran the show? One company or the association as a whole? And being the distrusting person that I am coupled with the logistics involved says that the 750 was planned from day one to feed Carey affiliates.
    The Associations do not have a mandate nor the means to organize large events like this. The best they can do usually is help organize information as to what hoops need to be jumped through to get registered with the SuperBowl. The logistics and dispatch for the bulk of the bookings usually falls into the lap of several large companies and conglomerators with the organizational and technical/manpower abilities to pull it off.

We can make the assumption that Carey came aboard & decided what vehicles met its standard & those which didn't were sent packing
    Absolutely - because they are charging 2-3X the normal going rate and don't want old vehicles showing up for their contracts and having to deal with complaints. That is their choice. No one forces you to work with Carey and you are not excluded from the Super Bowl work if you don't take their contract. Next....

Let me fill you in on how it worked in Houston. I am sure Detroit was no different:

The problem with the small operators uneducated in how these big events works is that they are all sorts of conglomerators who will offer 'contracts' to the small guys to lock their cars up and completely control the supply. This is how they can control price. These 'contracts' have all sorts of penalties for the small operator if he backs out or does not show up. However there is never any financial guarantee, prepayment, or deposit to the small guy nor any sort of penalty to the conglomerator if he doesn't provide any business to the small guy.

When I was presented with such contract I laughed. I know several who signed it that either A) did not receive any work or B) received far less money than they anticipated.

I reserved my vehicles on my own for the SuperBowl in Houston, made just as much as the going Super Bowl rate, and to top it off I was located 4 hours away from Houston!

I can assure you that one link and phone number on the Superbowl site pointing to Carey has nothing to do with the oddball small guy who doesn't work. Considering the deluge of desperate last minute phone calls for limos from a procrastinating public that goes out to just about every operator within a 250 mile radius for such a large event the likely answer for a Detroit operator not booking a car last year was poor marketing, foolishness or ignorance. If everyone who is presented with such a one-sided contract would scoff at it they could get the wording changed. Instead they get greedy and lazy and then complain when it doesn't work out in their favor.

As we also know, there are plenty of small guys out there who fall into one of the following categories: 1) Don't answer their phone 24 hours per day 2) Are rude on the phone and/or 3) Couldn't be found by an internet search if their life depended on it. As such, there are lots of additional reasons why they may have not booked their car.

As nkokas said "those locals who were hungery and didn't work are to blame themselves". The same fate will befall some in Miami as well who are not proactive. To blame Carey or their local association is to take the easy way out instead of looking within themselves.
    Tony Franzetti
    Marriton Limousine, Austin, TX
    Austin Limousine service, Austin airport service, austin bus charters
    http://www.marritonlimo.com

Tony: To a point you are correct. Being one of the "Out of Town" Guys, I have to depend on the "in town" Guys for work in Detroit. Every year I have done work at the Detroit Auto show for Detroit area Limo Companies. During Super Bowl, the GLLA and a couple of the Limo companies I have done work for in the past asked me to keep open because they would have all kinds of work for me. I did just that because I had not received call one for any one looking for a Limo for Super Bowl. I checked with a couple of other Guys in the region and neither had they and frankly they were not interested anyway.

When it got close to Super Bowl time and no work was being sent my way, I called a couple of companies and said I would even do their "day to day" work so their Guys could suck up the Gravey. I was informed by one Detroit operator that my cars were not "good enough" for his high class clients. Funny thing, they were good enough for some high class global automotive suppliers during the Auto show a month earlier when there were not 750 extra Limos in town.

They may call around the state in Texas but no one called here or to a couple of the other Operators in my region for Limos for Super Bowl. Could it be the demand was met?
    David E. Merrill

They may call around the state in Texas but no one called here or to a couple of the other Operators in my region for Limos for Super Bowl. Could it be the demand was met?
    Dave, I would guess that neither yourself nor anyone in your area made any sort of special effort to optimize your websites for searches for 'super bowl' or 'detroit limousine' so you simply were never found by the general public.

You have to jump on these things. Take a look at those who have already it done it for Miami Super Bowl - they are as far away as Orlando and still coming up on my searches. Will those quick thinking Orlando operators be booked? Yes, and probably more than they can handle.

Being dependent on someone else is allowing someone else to decide your fortune.
    Tony Franzetti
    Marriton Limousine, Austin, TX
    Austin Limousine service, Austin airport service, austin bus charters
    http://www.marritonlimo.com

Will agree with you to a point Tony.

Working off the numbers sighted in the article, Carey rolled in with 750 vehicles & the drivers to support the operation of these vehicles. Regardless of any rhetoric of if Michigan operators hustled for work or signed on with Carey, these 750 were going to be fed 1st & were assigned work long before they arrived.

The locals had to wait til the last minute when it was decided what teams were coming to Detroit & those fans scurried to make arrangements.

Yes Tony I do agree that it is everones responsibilty to seek their own work but some times you have loyalties to companies who have given you a helping hand in the past. This was my case. I agreed to keep my vehicles available, actually turning down local work to do it. When it was discivered by the Detroit operators that they would not even have enough work to keep their own cars busy I was able to salvage part of the local work I had turned down so I was not a total loss.

But that is all water under the Bridge now, I don't know about others but we here in Northern Michigan are feeling the pinch of the Michigan economy. Oh well Deer Hunting season opens Wed. so that will help us a little.
    David E. Merrill

The article is inaccurate then.

The number is 500 or more off.