Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another NLA Con Job!

Dues Collected - $1,137,197.
    Lobbying Fees - $300,692.
    Management Fees - $908,050.
    80% of dues goes to management? If the NLA were a charity helping the homeless or starving kids in Africa would you donate money knowing this?

I'm sorry Gunny! My post was purely to raise your blood pressure. I knew it would. It was my own sick humored fun. Anytime I see anything involving the NLA I always think of you. You're not slamming my articles are you?
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Originally posted by Limo Scene:
    I'm sorry Gunny! My post was purely to raise your blood pressure. I knew it would. It was my own sick humored fun. Anytime I see anything involving the NLA I always think of you. You're not slamming my articles are you?
    Don't take offense big guy.

When I read your eating your way to success article & looked at your smiling face, it matched (and I agreed with what you was putting out). And you know me by now, if I have a negative it will be posted & I don't believe that you have read any negatives about your articles from me.

But when it comes to the NLA, NO MERCY!!!!

Blood, Blood, Blood makes the grass grow!!!

BTW, thanks Jim, I never thought about playing the numbers game using the NLA's IRS filings nor realized how tied in the NLA is with Bobit/LCT. No wonder "everything is beautiful" only articles are disseminated to the industry. The NLA's very own propaganda instrument, LCT Magazine!
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Originally posted by mwlimo:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Dues Collected - $1,137,197.
    Lobbying Fees - $300,692.
    Management Fees - $908,050.
    80% of dues goes to management? If the NLA were a charity helping the homeless or starving kids in Africa would you donate money knowing this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good question.
    Answers anyone?

Gunny, Once you finish your fight down there you ought to join the NLA and run for the Board. Let your works be known...
    Dean Schuler

What a fabulous answer. I did that once with the local school board. I didn't like they way they ran it and seemed to find myself constantly in front of the board when I had school age kids until I finally joined for eight years. Come on Gunny! Jump on board and show us how it should be run.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

What a fabulous answer. I did that once with the local school board. I didn't like they way they ran it and seemed to find myself constantly in front of the board when I had school age kids until I finally joined for eight years. Come on Gunny! Jump on board and show us how it should be run.
    Aw Big Dawg, I don't think that is what Dean meant.

I think he means after I settle the score here in Florida to hook up with the Lackey Association & start cleaning house.

Jim, Stuff happens. I had to exterminate a vendor who had sold us a bill of goods when I was a Board member. On any Board there is usually housekeeping to be done...
    Dean Schuler

Originally posted by Dean Schuler:
    Jim, Stuff happens. I had to exterminate a vendor who had sold us a bill of goods when I was a Board member. On any Board there is usually housekeeping to be done...
    The term "Frag Em" could do but I prefer "Enema" as a more descriptive form with regards to what needs to be cleaned out.

Some Clarification:

Received an e-mail today with the sender under the impression that I am suing the Federal Government. No, I am not suing the Federal Government. I am suing local government agencies in Federal Court hence, a federal lawsuit.

The writer also requested info on the terminology of "through ticketing" & what the NLA is attempting to do.

Through Ticketing basically means the traveler has in possesion a travel itinerary indicating each mode of transportation from start to finish of their journey. Normally such would be provided by travel agents, airlines or cruise ships indicating not only the common carrier provision of travel but also the ground transportation. With such documentation even though the ground transportation is considered "Intrastate" the actual travel is deemed "Interstate" and therefore the transportation "Interstate". Motor Carriers providing Interstate Transportation are exempt from most local regulatory laws & rules & States are limited to what they may apply. A case involving the issue of state regulation has been in front of the Surface Transportation Board for awhile now brought on by CME of Colorado v. the State of Colorado. CME is utilizing the argument of Through Ticketing and that the State has no authority to demand certain financial/pricing statements from the carrier.

Motor Carriers as in NJ that are constantly moving between NJ & NY are already primarily engaged in Interstate transportation & should be registered as interstate carriers with the DOT & Through Ticketing is a non-issue.

The NLA is attempting to bring into acceptance; contracts, trip tickets & other documentation that will be accepted as proof of Through Ticketing. If they are sucessful then the transportation of passengers from say Orlando AP to Port Canaveral will be deemed Interstate transportation and not Intrastate. In essence all motor carriers providing AP transfers will be classified as interstate motor carriers.

If the goal of doing such was to restrict local regulatory agencies from reaching into motor carriers pockets as doing such to Interstate Motor Carriers is a great big NO, NO, this would be in my humble opinion a just cause movement by the NLA. The motive however is built on simple greed. As Interstate Motor Carriers, the business owners will be exempt from paying drivers overtime wages pursuant to Federal Labor Laws.

I hope this explains to the e-mailer with clarification a little about "Through Ticketing" and the NLA's intents.

Gunny: Let me see if I have this right. Instead of Passengers, we are moving Auto parts from West Branch Michigan to an assembly plant in St Louis MO. If I pick up the parts here in West Branch (I have an MOSC authority to handle intrastate freight in Mich.) and take them to lets say a freight Carrier Airline at Willow Run Airport and I am carring the Manifest for through shipment to St Louis Assembly, I am in reality an Interstate carrier by virtue of the fact I have the Paperwork for through shipment?

Now lets say I just take the Parts from West Branch to Orion Assembly in Oakland County in Michigan, I am then just an Intrastate carrier subject to the rules of MPSC. Do I have this correct?
    David E. Merrill

Sorry David, I'm not going to be pulled into a discussion of apples v. oranges. If you wish to dwell on regulation of motor carriers of property I suggest that you start a thread of such under the "regulations" forum after researching the provisions of Title 49 ss 14501 USC.

I have a lot of info to read up on Gunny about this issue. I have interstate authority and WANT interstate authority. I attended a seminar in Atlantic City sponsored by Digest where a guy from DOT explained to the entire group that if we picked up passengers from LAX who began their journey in New York that we are in fact engaged in interstate transportation. I view this as a good thing. Why are you so opposed to it? I just don't get it. I view myself as an intelligent individual and maybe just having smoe kind of mind block here. What is the point to you? Do you leave Florida? I leave California to go to Vegas all the time and I need the Interstate authority. Please explain your personal big concern with it. It obviously has you way fired up. Why? How many others here on the forum are concerned with this and why?
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA

I have a lot of info to read up on Gunny about this issue. I have interstate authority and WANT interstate authority. I attended a seminar in Atlantic City sponsored by Digest where a guy from DOT explained to the entire group that if we picked up passengers from LAX who began their journey in New York that we are in fact engaged in interstate transportation. I view this as a good thing. Why are you so opposed to it? I just don't get it. I view myself as an intelligent individual and maybe just having smoe kind of mind block here. What is the point to you? Do you leave Florida? I leave California to go to Vegas all the time and I need the Interstate authority. Please explain your personal big concern with it. It obviously has you way fired up. Why? How many others here on the forum are concerned with this and why?
    Jim,

#1, to the best of my understanding, reading courts opinions & of course as part of my lawsuit, the transfer of NY arriving passengers from LAX to Bakersfield would be deemed a part of the stream of interstate commerce* not interstate transportation.

I previously posted that being classified as "interstate motor carriers" even though the motor carriers are primarily engaged in intrastate transportation may be a good thing for surburban & rural based carriers as they carry the brunt of economic regulation imposed by major urban areas holding the transportation hubs.

If the intent of the NLA was to expand the meaning & documentation requirements of through ticketing for the purpose of easing the economic regulations placed on the intrastate motor carriers I would be praising their efforts.

The stand alone fact is that the NLA is making this move to obtain overtime exemption for the business owners at the expense of the drivers. This is my heartburn with this whole issue. You can take the man out of the uniform but not the uniform out of the man. 2 priorities I've had instilled in me are; #1 accomplish the mission, #2 take care of the troops. Without #2 there is no #1.

And why has the NLA not pushed the "through ticketing" agenda whereas the intrastate motor carrier would be now classified as a "interstate motor carrier"? Because the largest benefactor of such a move would be the suburban/rural 2-5 vehicle operators needing untethered access to major urban areas holding the transportation hubs that a certain group of larger operators attempt to monopolize. Some of whom are right here in my state hoping that my endeavors in the courts to free up intrastate transportation fails. Hence why there are no true "intrastate motor carriers" based in small communities within the state of Florida as the costs of obtaining all the permitting is cost prohibited.

Good Enough Reasons To Be Fired Up Jim?

* Executive Town & Country Services v. City of Atlanta, the US Court of Appeals concluded that ground transportation services provided to airline passengers is part of interstate commerce and therefore is subject to and benefits from Federal Law.

Luff I am for the exemption in overtime wages. I commend the NLA for working on my behalf on this. If this does not go through it will only HURT most drivers. They will not be allowd to go over 40 hours. If you ask most well paid chauffeurs they would like to work an extra 10-20 hours per week. If they are earning good pay like mine they love the extra money.

I do think the NLA should have a policy for a free and open market for all operators and should help those in the Tampa area against unfair laws such that Gunny is talking about.