Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another NLA Con Job!

Originally posted by gunny:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wade Randolph:

Gunny what about the drivers of these large companies that are averaging over $20.00 per hour that are not allowed to work more than 40 hours per week? If you would talk to these chauffeurs they would tell you they need the extra 10-20 hours per week. And lets face it $20.00 per hour is not minimum wage. I can see if a driver is making only $7.00 per hour needing the overtime but top level chauffeurs of most of these firms are averaging three times that with built in gratuity. Having to pay overtime will kill their chance to make extra hours I can promise you.
    Maybe someone like Steve can fill in more details of the type pay the large metro operator, semi-quasi taxi driver makes. I doubt it's $20. per hour with grat. Maybe something like $8. per hour plus grat whereas they are stationed at an AP doing $30-50 runs. Take an average of $40. runs & 4 are done in a 8 hour shift with a base salary of $8.per hour salary adds up to $64. salary plus $32 grat for $96. for an 8 hour shift or approximately $12. an hour total.

Now, point of fact is that even if the salary was $100. per hour the law calls for time & a half past 40. If you landed a non-managerial job for $30. an hour and the boss had you put in 60 hours during the week would you expect time & a half for the extra 20?

If there are top drivers pulling in $20. per hour do we screw the lower totem pole from rightful OT pay because they upper tier will be restricted?

A little secret for the civilians. The last one to get chow is not the private. It's the NCO's & if the only thing that is left is gravy & bread, so be it. Called LEADERSHIP & taking care of the troops. Something the National Lackey Association surely is oblivious to.

Again another example of operators (not you Wade) who will scream about the gypsys yet feel free to violate whatever law that is an inconvenience to them & the wallet.

It'll be interesting to see if the AFL / CIO takes any action on this subject as it could roll over onto other types of transportation services screwing the union guys. And of course I sent them the info.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gunny I know guys that have very large companies. Their chauffeurs are very well compensated. The large companies are the ones that offer medical insurance, 401k plans, vaction, chance for advancement and vacation. Small companies like mine cannot. I know owners and chauffeurs of these companies. They average usually $10.00+ per hour plus built in 20% gratuities. These guys are making way over $20.00 per hour and could work as much as they wanted. And lots of them have kids in college and could use another 10-20 hours per week. They are prevented from doing so because the overtime cost is prohibitive. When you have to pay a chauffeur 50% more in wages for overtime you will not work him or her overtime. This law does not hurt the operator because they will not work a chauffeur overtime. This is only hurting the chauffeur.

Originally posted by Wade Randolph:
    Gunny I know guys that have very large companies. Their chauffeurs are very well compensated. The large companies are the ones that offer medical insurance, 401k plans, vaction, chance for advancement and vacation. Small companies like mine cannot. I know owners and chauffeurs of these companies. They average usually $10.00+ per hour plus built in 20% gratuities. These guys are making way over $20.00 per hour and could work as much as they wanted. And lots of them have kids in college and could use another 10-20 hours per week. They are prevented from doing so because the overtime cost is prohibitive. When you have to pay a chauffeur 50% more in wages for overtime you will not work him or her overtime. This law does not hurt the operator because they will not work a chauffeur overtime. This is only hurting the chauffeur.
    And what is the difference between this industry and any other industry? Why should someone working another type job rate OT pay and folks hauling passengers back and forth to the AP not rate it.

Ask the Prez of the NLA how many COPS would put in OT without time & a half?

For every driver on the books how many off?

How many operators pocket cash jobs that misses the IRS?

How many customers are charged for tolls & parking then it is used as a business expense write-off any way?

Come on now Wade, we've been around long enough to know the real deal.

What has prompted some of this is that there are drivers who have been screwed and filed lawsuits to recoup OT pay. This kind of wipes out any arguments as it is happening & courts are siding with the employees.The law is the law.

Freakin operators don't want to pay gg tax, don't want to pay OT wages, hide cash revenue, withhold grat from drivers, claim customer paid operating expenses as write offs, have drivers performing non-paid tasks etc..

My heart bleeds...

And if anyone has links to prove that there are operators offering all the bennies, please provide it.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Just my Two cents here. You mentioned that the quasi Taxi type operators are paid by the hour and get into over time? What hole are you living in? As far as I know, at least here in Detroit they are all owner Operators or lease the vehicles from the owner Operators and are Independent Contractors just like the Taxi industry, so Over time, Workers Comp, FICA, FUTA and all the other things that go along with being an Employer would not apply and would be a moot point. Am I not correct?

Some of thes Guy actually end up paying the O/O for the privlede of driveng his car for the day when it is a slow day.
    David E. Merrill

Originally posted by David Merrill:
    Just my Two cents here. You mentioned that the quasi Taxi type operators are paid by the hour and get into over time? What hole are you living in? As far as I know, at least here in Detroit they are all owner Operators or lease the vehicles from the owner Operators and are Independent Contractors just like the Taxi industry, so Over time, Workers Comp, FICA, FUTA and all the other things that go along with being an Employer would not apply and would be a moot point. Am I not correct?
    Here is your change from the 2 cents David. And talking about a hole. Seems the only thing that you know about is what happens in the great state of Michigan. Ever been out of it?

If they are ICs, OT pay would not be an issue would it? So I guess this subject doesn't cover I.C.'s. When you learn more about the industry I guess you'll understand what is meant by semi quasi-taxi operators when describing limo ops.

Like 20 company T.C.'s with hourly paid drivers sitting at the AP, high end contracted hotels or resorts waiting for non-prearranged passengers needing a ride.

Not positive but I think Solombrino had his fight in Florida dealing with permitting so that he could land a 30(?) sedan contract at the Ritz Carleton in south Florida. Anyone think that these drivers are being paid $20. an hour to sit and wait for the well-to-do's needing rides?

Not arguing with you a bit Gunny. Just the fact that most evey one that I know of are I.C.'s. Weather they are legal I.C.'s or not is another matter. Heard IRS has been knocking on a few doors in town though. Haven't heard of any Padlocks yet but that may be next.

Yep, been to Fla. My Folks use to Live in Holiday. Have an Ex wife that last I heard of her lived in New Port Richey but that was then and this is now.
    David E. Merrill

I know the IRS has knocked down at least one door here in Toledo. Our good friend , at "Toledo's Largest Corporate" service provider and non compliant PUCO and DOT operator just got hit with a $ 255,000 IRS tax lein in June. It was in the Toledo Legal News.

I do not have all the details , but I know he had been warned before to pay payroll tax and report income better.

When I have time I will go down the courts and pull the file and see exactly what is was for.

I'm not sure how he'll get out of this , but like most roaches , they just seem to survive.

Who knows Michael it may just be you and I in business before this is all over. Wouldn't that be nice a territory from Sault St. Marie to Toledo, Ohio, think we could handle it?
    David E. Merrill

A recap to get wheels turning:

The NLA is going to attempt to get a broader interpretation of "through ticketing". Through ticketing basically is the showing of ground transportation as an extension to interstate travel when related to common carrier plane, train and bus transportation by means of the additional transportation indicated on the common carrier tickets/itinerary. With through ticketing, the movement of arriving passengers is deemed to be continuation of interstate travel and therefore the transportation being provided interstate in nature. As such, the Federal OT wage exemption would kick in & the drivers not eligible to make claim for such. What is being attempted is the acceptance of other forms of documentation to show through ticketing exists.

I already attacked the OT issue. However, there is a positive that can result if the Lackey Associaition is successful. And the positive will not apply to cabbies or metro operators paying off politicos to create monopolies of transportation hubs.

Can anyone think of the positive?

Another Hint:

If the Lackey Association is successful, the first thing I will do is flip my DOT registration from intrastate to interstate.

Forget about protesting this move by the National Lackey Association.

Expand through ticketing

Define all transfers as interstate movement

All "Suburban" type operations register as interstate motor carriers

Defy any metro transportation hub holding jurisdiction from applying its taxi/metro limo operator driven economic regulatory upon your interstate transportation operations

Interstate commerce + interstate transportation = powerful stuff for the courts!

Originally posted by Wade Randolph:

One of the by-laws specifically prohibits any NLA member from any activity that results in restricting competition in any way. Since this is a by-law they should have jumped on board to help you.
    Article 26, Code of Ethics

Members shall refrain from any act intended to restrain or suppress competition and thereby shall promote the private enterprise system and its guaranty of equal rights for all.

What a joke!

Hey National Lackey Association. How many NLA member sponsored Florida local laws are in place that inhibits competition and is contrary to Federal & State transportation laws?

Don't know? Just ask Sorci, Boroday, Wilde & Herring for starters.

O.K. back to the original topic of the Lackey Association attempting to pull locals under their umbrella to what could be described as fraudulently increase membership numbers.

I did a fast count of NLA members in Nassau & Suffolk Counties plus the membership numbers of the NSLA. If the NSLA agrees to carry the NLA logo the NLA will claim double the number of members it now has. If this trend holds true for all nationally the NLA's claim of membership will double just by attaching its logo to NLA member local associations.

While on the subject of local associations, I went to the LCT Directory & did a count of listed local associations & compared to the numbers of locals with NLA membership. About half of the locals are not attached to the NLA.

As earlier posted, the NLA membership represents some 10% of the operators in this country. Of that 10% maybe 1% are the decision makers out there telling government officials that they represent the industry.

Sort of like not long ago dip s**t WFLA Prez Dave Shaw turning in to the HCPTC 10 completed survey responses on proposed regulatory changes with a claim that the 10 surveys represented 120-150 operators on Florida's west coast.

So by putting the local member associations under the Lackey Association umbrella & falsely laying claim to the entire membership, the 1% can state to officials as they try to get important issues accomplished like the gg tax & ripping drivers off, that they represent X amount v. the true numbers.

And when the local thieves stand in front of regulatory boards supporting restricting competiton they can state that they are doing so under the most powerful National Lackey Association.

"How lucky for those in power that people don't think" A. Hitler

Hey Gunny,

Just got my new, coveted NLA Directory. I know, I know, you wish you had one. Here are some interesting tidbits. The previous version was 3/4 of an inch thick. It is now, a full inch! There are 29 Associations, 184 Vendors, 216 pages full of US Operators and 12 pages of Int'l Operators.

Too bad you're not in it. If you need a number out of it or a referral, let me know.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Originally posted by Limo Scene:
    Hey Gunny,

Just got my new, coveted NLA Directory. I know, I know, you wish you had one. Here are some interesting tidbits. The previous version was 3/4 of an inch thick. It is now, a full inch! There are 29 Associations, 184 Vendors, 216 pages full of US Operators and 12 pages of Int'l Operators.

Too bad you're not in it. If you need a number out of it or a referral, let me know.
    And your waist is probably a inch bigger than last year also, so what?

Hey everybody, the National Lackey Associations "Directory" is a whole quarter inch fatter this year!!!

They have more vendors willing to take your money listed!!!

They almost have as many local associations listed as in 03-04!!!!

And if someone actually took the time to count the operator members (careful of the repeats) it may actually add up to 10% of the US operators in business!!!!

And best of all, in 2005 despite the whole 1/4 inch thickness in the Directory, the NLA collected $11k* less in membership dues!!!!!

Sort of like the Army announcing they are hitting recruiting goals as they back door draft thousands from the IRR.

*Info taken from 04 & 05 990 tax filings of the NLA C/O Bobit Business Media publisher of LCT Magazine. Who do you write your wonderful "Eat Your Way To Success" type articles for Jim?

Some fast $number facts on the NLA off of 2003-2005 tax filings.
    Dues Collected - $1,137,197.
    Lobbying Fees - $300,692.
    Management Fees - $908,050.

Here are some more numbers for you to chew on Jim:

Based on the last 3 tax filings the NLA has averaged $379,065. in membership dues collected.

Based on 2006 NLA dues:

Local Associations kick in some $10k

Vendors have 2 tiers so based on the lowest tier ($495) X the number you threw into the mix (184) we have another 91k.

Following me so far? We are now up to $100k based on the lowest membership due amounts. This leaves us with approximately $280k to be covered by actual operator dues.

The lowest dues amounts for operators is $195.. If we take $280k & divide by the lowest operator dues the magic number is 1436 operators paying the minimum dues.

And to break it down even more, on the tiered membership dues $86k is paid by the top 75. This leaves $194k divided by the minimum dues of $195 which equates to 995 members + the top 75 for a grand total of 1070 paying members

Digest reports there are over 17k operators in the U.S.

Just playing with numbers.....