Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another NLA Con Job!

"The committee's task is to configure how local limousine associations - while still maintaining their individual autonomy - can come under the NLA "umbrella" and, in some way, take on the NLA name"

"We're pursuing this because we believe such affiliate branding will strengthen the entire limousine industry and empower every participating association's effort more fully. It will show the public - legislators and regulatory officials in particular - that the organizations so named "NLA" are united".

The new master plan of the NLA whose commitee make-up includes the buddy of the Fla Taxi Barons Queen & also sits on the TLPA.

Advice, run do not walk from this lunatic association. Yes, lets strengthen the local associations & the few (large operators) who benefit from all & will do any sneaky, underhanded, low down thing to hurt their competition & drive them into the ground. They will ply their powers to benefit their business interests using the numbers of the suckers as leverage to get what they want & not what is good for all.

Boycott the NLA
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Here is a fact to chew on. IAW numbers published in July 2006 Limo Digest there are 17,432 operators.

The NLA has what 2k members if lucky?

Approximately 10% of the Operators are members of the NLA. Of that 10% what percentage are pulling the strings that affect the other 90-95% on the local & national level?

The NLA sorry to say, is nothing but a big cruel joke on all its members. This is what happens when you lose focus, and sense of direction of what you are, and who you are suppose to represent.

Is it just me, or doesn't anyone notice how the NLA will always have a city to host any one of their shows, be a city that is hostile to the business interests of their members. The latest being MIAMI, this is a city that has been constantly underminding limousine interests, always looking to destroy this industry, because one large TAXI BARON controls all the local politico's. What does the stupid leadership of this industry do? They have MIAMI host their leadership seminar, so all their members can spend money in a city looking to screw their industry.

STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES!!!!

Limo Knight, this is part of the NLA con. There is only a small percentage of operators that are actually the NLA. The rest are just numbers & cash contributors to the con game.

Now what the NLA is going to attempt to do is frauduently increase membership numbers by sort of incorporating the local associations under its smelly armpit.

Example; a local association has 100 members. Of these 100 members 30 also are card carriers of the NLA. Now the local association led by NLA lackeys places the association under the NLA umbrella. The NLA membership just grew by 70!

Now when a Dave Shaw goes in front of the regulatory agency to push for increased operating costs to drive the little guys out of business, he does so under the NLA logo & not some flunky WFLA type association.

So not only should people dump the NLA they should also dump their local associations to help prevent this act of deception from coming to fruition.

The NLA

Gunny, If I recall the sequence of events properly you had at one time asked the NLA for assistance in your battle and were turned down. I have been down that road. My group received no support when we opposed an NLA Founder in the 1980's over the issue of a closed market in New Orleans. We won anyway. In 1990 writer and operator John Merli and myself were told our services were no longer needed by a trade journal and upon researching the matter we discovered the same individual and his cronies were behind the move. Merli and I immediately threw in with Limousine Digest which was just starting up at that time. The magazine has done well and will continue to grow stronger. Later on I was appointed to the NLA Board. Although I met some very fine people when I was on the NLA Board, I also was rudely introduced to a few seriously marginal characters . Politics is like that, I am sure that you would agree. Today I belong to many associations and I find myself at times not in step with what they are doing. I use my association memberships to advance my company while keeping an eye on any and all developing forces that would impact my business. It is said of the Florida Parishes ( the Gulf South ) that the powers-that-be not only missed the internet revolution, they missed the French revolution. Florida is the Gulf South, with money.
    Dean Schuler

As a clarification Dean. After discovering the "policy" of major municipalities holding the transportation hubs servicing the interstate travelers requiring intrastate motor carriers to obtain licensing simply to enter & load their contracted prearranged and/or chartered passengers for transportation to points of travel origination, I went on a search of laws & discovered that such requirements were unlawful.

When I discovered the laws preventing such, I at the time a NLA Member, sent Fran Shane an e-mail basically stating, "look what I discovered" & out of naivety hoped that the NLA would help with the the court action as a victory will end the multiple economic regulation now impossed on motor carriers. Fran had my e-mail published in LCT magazine without even sending me a response.

Some time later I received a call from then NLA president Scott Solombrino. Despite the strengths of my case that is based on preemptions of economically regulating intrastate motor carriers, the NLA would not get involved. The reason why the NLA would not get involved is that the NLA Board Members who are based in Florida objected to such. These members object to motor carriers having untethered ability to provide to their customers intrastate transportation!

Now, who or what type of business needs the freedom to provide intrastate transportation to the community they are based in? The motor carrier based in a large metropolitan area holding the transportation hubs or the one based in & servicing the residents of rural, small communities located significant distances from the metro areas & transportation hubs? And of course these carriers servicing the rural areas are going to be small 2 - 6 vehicle type operations and will not wield the power & political influence of the metro areas especially competing against ones sitting on local, state & national association boards. The end result is that these rural type carriers obtain permitting for the most common destination point & the residents of the communities are left with no options for transportation to & from other points within the state.

The NLA can be thanked for this situation as they have proven that the best interest of the consumer & small operators is not a priority nor is ensuring that the transportation laws are adhered to by local authorities.

Now they want to expand the incompetence by attaching their worthless logo to every local association & member of that they are sticking it to.

Again, I urge all operators, especially those located outside of large metro areas to Boycott the NLA. The bottom line is, what are they going to do for you to alleviate regulatory entities who are heavily influenced by monopoly driven, metro operators from reaching into your pockets & inhibiting your growth potential?

Originally posted by gunny:
    As a clarification Dean. After discovering the "policy" of major municipalities holding the transportation hubs servicing the interstate travelers requiring intrastate motor carriers to obtain licensing simply to enter & load their contracted prearranged and/or chartered passengers for transportation to points of travel origination, I went on a search of laws & discovered that such requirements were unlawful.

When I discovered the laws preventing such, I at the time a NLA Member, sent Fran Shane an e-mail basically stating, "look what I discovered" & out of naivety hoped that the NLA would help with the the court action as a victory will end the multiple economic regulation now impossed on motor carriers. Fran had my e-mail published in LCT magazine without even sending me a response.

Some time later I received a call from then NLA president Scott Solombrino. Despite the strengths of my case that is based on preemptions of economically regulating intrastate motor carriers, the NLA would not get involved. The reason why the NLA would not get involved is that the NLA Board Members who are based in Florida objected to such. These members object to motor carriers having untethered ability to provide to their customers intrastate transportation!

Now, who or what type of business needs the freedom to provide intrastate transportation to the community they are based in? The motor carrier based in a large metropolitan area holding the transportation hubs or the one based in & servicing the residents of rural, small communities located significant distances from the metro areas & transportation hubs? And of course these carriers servicing the rural areas are going to be small 2 - 6 vehicle type operations and will not wield the power & political influence of the metro areas especially competing against ones sitting on local, state & national association boards. The end result is that these rural type carriers obtain permitting for the most common destination point & the residents of the communities are left with no options for transportation to & from other points within the state.

The NLA can be thanked for this situation as they have proven that the best interest of the consumer & small operators is not a priority nor is ensuring that the transportation laws are adhered to by local authorities.

Now they want to expand the incompetence by attaching their worthless logo to every local association & member of that they are sticking it to.

Again, I urge all operators, especially those located outside of large metro areas to Boycott the NLA. The bottom line is, what are they going to do for you to alleviate regulatory entities who are heavily influenced by monopoly driven, metro operators from reaching into your pockets & inhibiting your growth potential?
    One of the by-laws specifically prohibits any NLA member from any activity that results in restricting competition in any way. Since this is a by-law they should have jumped on board to help you.

Wade, the NLA by-laws should be renamed the "goodbye-laws".

Now, who is the puppet master of this newest scam?

In addition to the NLA Branding scam the O.T. aka "lets screw the drivers out of earned pay" is rearing its head again.

The hard chargers will be hitting D.C. this month to gain a support for a broader definition of "through ticketing" that will place intrastate AP transfers under the category of interstate trip continuation so that operators would be exempted from paying drivers O.T..

I'd be willing to bet that such a move would affect more drivers then operators or in other words, this is another example of the National Lackey Association looking out for the few big guys most affected by paying drivers earned O.T..

All Drivers in the industry should write their Reps in protest of such a move. In fact I'll organize such a campaign of protest to Florida Reps.

Can Gunny or anyone furnish an outline of the negatives and a suggested letter to my Rep & Senator re the through ticketing?
    Bill Payne
    American Limousine, LLC
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Celebrating 9 years of superior service to the Charlotte, NC market. Serving corporate and individual clients with sedans, vans and limousines.

Originally posted by wimpy01:
    Can Gunny or anyone furnish an outline of the negatives and a suggested letter to my Rep & Senator re the through ticketing?
    Wimpy,

I'll try to break it down so what the National Lackey Association is trying to pull is easier to understand.

First lets assume that it's safe to say that the majority of operators with the majority being the small 2 - 6 vehicle non-metro type operations conduct scheduling of drivers in one shape or form as follows:
    3-5pm the next days runs are brought up, the vehicles are assigned & the one scheduling starts calling drivers to fill in the slots. A driver can be assigned a 5am down, a 3pm down & 5pm return. Drivers are paid by the job & if he/she is lucky enough to get a good handful of runs one day that puts them past 8 hours the subject of OT is not a factor or concern for either the boss or driver. If the driver is dumb enough to bring it up the fix is simple to ensure OT will never again be a subject.

Now the larger metro type operators run a little different. Especially the semi-quasi taxi types. They have drivers on station at ports of entry (APs) & on the clock. And unlike the smaller operators who may pay part of the salary OTB or whatever arrangement between the boss & driver, these metro drivers are on the books all the way. These are the drivers that run into OT. Contracts call for X amount of vehicles at airports, the large metro operations pull in convention contracts, flight delays, traffic delays etc. all contribute running into OT.

For some reason these large metro operators think they are above having to shell out the extra OT payments to their work force. So what they are doing through the Lackey Association is hitting DC to garner "Con"gressional support ($we all know how one gets support from politicos$) for broader interpretation of through ticketing. In other words, word it to suit their needs. If such is accomplished, then AP transfers will be deemed interstate trip continuation and the operators will be exempt from paying the divers OT.

My wording of opposition will center on the needs of the drivers struggling to make a living to pay rent & put food on the table v. the fat cats running 100+ vehicles looking to pad their pockets off the sweat of the work force by pushing the limits of interstate transportation definitions. I will urge my Reps not to support such an unjust venture that will only benefit the few money grubbers & harm the working man/woman.

Think Ty & Sara will have the guts to run the scam in LCT? Would be good reading, "NLA Finds Way To Eliminate OT For Chauffeurs". They should drop the "C" from the mag title as it dishonors the ones who make the industry click.

Senior Member Limo Padawan ziggyburd's Avatar

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ziggyburd:
    For the Florida Operators, here is a start:
    http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sectio...entatives.aspx
    Zane Burdette
    St. Petersburg, FL

http://www.thefita.com/

Malcontent Member

Sample of letter being sent by myself and colleagues to undermine the attempt to put the screws to the troops in the trenches.

Dear Congresswoman Ginny Brown-Waite,

Shortly you and your colleagues will receive visits by a small handful of members of the National Limousine Association (NLA). The NLA which is comprised of approximately 2,000 members lays claim to representing the approximate 17,000 plus operator strong transportation industry in the United States.

The purpose of the visit will be to convince members of Congress to expand the meaning of interstate transportation to include the carriage of passengers from major transportation hubs (airports, cruise ports, bus terminals etc.) via motor vehicle by redefining the meaning of the term "through ticketing".

The purpose of this endeavor is to circumvent the requirements of paying the men and women driving the vehicles overtime wages by turning a local or intrastate movement into a interstate trip continuation.

It is strongly urged that yourself and the other members of Congress reject any attempt by the owners of these 100+ vehicle operations to circumvent the overtime requirements. Such action will undoubtly put additional hardships on the drivers trying to make a living to take care of their families. In fact, such action by these well-to-do business persons should be met with admonishment as attempts to benefit themselves through the sacrifice of the workers is repulsive.

Again, it is strongly urged that such attempts to bring harm to the workers of the transportation industry be rejected.

Respectfully Submitted,

Originally posted by gunny:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wimpy01:
    Wimpy,

I'll try to break it down so what the National Lackey Association is trying to pull is easier to understand.

First lets assume that it's safe to say that the majority of operators with the majority being the small 2 - 6 vehicle non-metro type operations conduct scheduling of drivers in one shape or form as follows:
    3-5pm the next days runs are brought up, the vehicles are assigned & the one scheduling starts calling drivers to fill in the slots. A driver can be assigned a 5am down, a 3pm down & 5pm return. Drivers are paid by the job & if he/she is lucky enough to get a good handful of runs one day that puts them past 8 hours the subject of OT is not a factor or concern for either the boss or driver. If the driver is dumb enough to bring it up the fix is simple to ensure OT will never again be a subject.

Now the larger metro type operators run a little different. Especially the semi-quasi taxi types. They have drivers on station at ports of entry (APs) & on the clock. And unlike the smaller operators who may pay part of the salary OTB or whatever arrangement between the boss & driver, these metro drivers are on the books all the way. These are the drivers that run into OT. Contracts call for X amount of vehicles at airports, the large metro operations pull in convention contracts, flight delays, traffic delays etc. all contribute running into OT.

For some reason these large metro operators think they are above having to shell out the extra OT payments to their work force. So what they are doing through the Lackey Association is hitting DC to garner "Con"gressional support ($we all know how one gets support from politicos$) for broader interpretation of through ticketing. In other words, word it to suit their needs. If such is accomplished, then AP transfers will be deemed interstate trip continuation and the operators will be exempt from paying the divers OT.

My wording of opposition will center on the needs of the drivers struggling to make a living to pay rent & put food on the table v. the fat cats running 100+ vehicles looking to pad their pockets off the sweat of the work force by pushing the limits of interstate transportation definitions. I will urge my Reps not to support such an unjust venture that will only benefit the few money grubbers & harm the working man/woman.

Think Ty & Sara will have the guts to run the scam in LCT? Would be good reading, "NLA Finds Way To Eliminate OT For Chauffeurs". They should drop the "C" from the mag title as it dishonors the ones who make the industry click. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gunny what about the drivers of these large companies that are averaging over $20.00 per hour that are not allowed to work more than 40 hours per week? If you would talk to these chauffeurs they would tell you they need the extra 10-20 hours per week. And lets face it $20.00 per hour is not minimum wage. I can see if a driver is making only $7.00 per hour needing the overtime but top level chauffeurs of most of these firms are averaging three times that with built in gratuity. Having to pay overtime will kill their chance to make extra hours I can promise you.

Originally posted by Wade Randolph:

Gunny what about the drivers of these large companies that are averaging over $20.00 per hour that are not allowed to work more than 40 hours per week? If you would talk to these chauffeurs they would tell you they need the extra 10-20 hours per week. And lets face it $20.00 per hour is not minimum wage. I can see if a driver is making only $7.00 per hour needing the overtime but top level chauffeurs of most of these firms are averaging three times that with built in gratuity. Having to pay overtime will kill their chance to make extra hours I can promise you.
    Maybe someone like Steve can fill in more details of the type pay the large metro operator, semi-quasi taxi driver makes. I doubt it's $20. per hour with grat. Maybe something like $8. per hour plus grat whereas they are stationed at an AP doing $30-50 runs. Take an average of $40. runs & 4 are done in a 8 hour shift with a base salary of $8.per hour salary adds up to $64. salary plus $32 grat for $96. for an 8 hour shift or approximately $12. an hour total.

Now, point of fact is that even if the salary was $100. per hour the law calls for time & a half past 40. If you landed a non-managerial job for $30. an hour and the boss had you put in 60 hours during the week would you expect time & a half for the extra 20?

If there are top drivers pulling in $20. per hour do we screw the lower totem pole from rightful OT pay because they upper tier will be restricted?

A little secret for the civilians. The last one to get chow is not the private. It's the NCO's & if the only thing that is left is gravy & bread, so be it. Called LEADERSHIP & taking care of the troops. Something the National Lackey Association surely is oblivious to.

Again another example of operators (not you Wade) who will scream about the gypsys yet feel free to violate whatever law that is an inconvenience to them & the wallet.

It'll be interesting to see if the AFL / CIO takes any action on this subject as it could roll over onto other types of transportation services screwing the union guys. And of course I sent them the info....