Thread: Are You Active In Your Local Association?

Do you belong to a local association & are you an active participant?
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

You may have been asking a rhetorical question, but I'll speak up.

I just joined the MLA (Maryland Limousine Association). The next meeting is in November, and I am anxious to find out what direction they are taking these days.

It appears that most members are larger shops, but I figure I can make some good contacts and glean some good information form operators who have been around a good while.

Originally posted by Salicete:

I just joined the MLA (Maryland Limousine Association). The next meeting is in November, and I am anxious to find out what direction they are taking these days.

It appears that most members are larger shops, but I figure I can make some good contacts and glean some good information form operators who have been around a good while.
    Nope, no rhetoric. As with everything, only a few actually take some precious moments out of their life to be involved with what can be life changing events. When a negative happens most just sit around pissing, moaning & bitching.

With this Industry many changes happen due to certain individuals (small percentage) who count on the majority not being actively involved & keeping tabs on what is happening.

Originally posted by gunny:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Salicete:

Nope, no rhetoric. As with everything, only a few actually take some precious moments out of their life to be involved with what can be life changing events. When a negative happens most just sit around pissing, moaning & bitching.

With this Industry many changes happen due to certain individuals (small percentage) who count on the majority not being actively involved & keeping tabs on what is happening. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you mispelt:
    With this Industry many changes happen due to individuals (small percentage) who are amazed at the apathy of the majority that is not actively involved & keeping tabs on what is happening

Keep tryin gunny, you're getting closer

Yes. Most of the tasks here are political.
    Dean Schuler

Stafford, you are a prime example why all should be actively involved with their local associations.

Need a bunch to beat the snakes out of the grass!

Originally posted by gunny:
    Stafford, you are a prime example why all should be actively involved with their local associations.

I'll take that as a compliment, as we are trying to increase ACTIVE membership all the time both state and national. If I can do something to help, that's what I'm in here for...

whooosh

Originally posted by Dr. Gelakeiwicz:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunny:

I'll take that as a compliment,

whooosh
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do and travel four hours round trip every other month to attend meetings in Los Angeles. Have for years. YOu can't fight what you don't know about!
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Originally posted by Limo Scene:
    I do and travel four hours round trip every other month to attend meetings in Los Angeles. Have for years. YOu can't fight what you don't know about!
    Didn't the GLCA squash a proposed move to institute local permitting awhile back?

Yes, Gunny - they did. And what makes me sick is that I and so many others donated money to the fight and we won. Meanwhile, 80% of the people that benefitted from it contributed nothing and even worse - they never even knew about it!

Our current battle - The State of California has TWO definitions of a school bus. #1 is big, yellow, ugly with red lights for stopping traffic. No problem with this. #2 is ANY vehicle designed or capable of carrying more than 10 students to a school related event, function or field trip. Ie. my 20 passenger Excursion is considered a school bus. As such, it must comply with all other school bus laws.

The battle is, the school doesn't charter us! The parents do. The CHP has threatened to impound any vehicle that seats more than 10 from the prom location if it does not comply with all school bus requirements.

Now, keep in mind that my prom client are the children of execs at Chevron, Arco, Shell Oil, Dreyer's Ice Cream etc. and if I was to leave one of their little darlings stranded - the complication and ramifications run deep.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Originally posted by Limo Scene:
    Yes, Gunny - they did. And what makes me sick is that I and so many others donated money to the fight and we won. Meanwhile, 80% of the people that benefitted from it contributed nothing and even worse - they never even knew about it!.
    Maybe the GCLA should hire a on commission basis recruiter & let him / her run amok with the CPUC list. Imagine someone offered an average of $100. per signing?

Unlike the NLA, you guys have a "win" under your belt that affects all in the state.