Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any air conditioning advice for an Excursion limo?

I don't know what color your cars are, but mine are all black, and when it is 96 degrees and 70+% humidity, that 30 foot long black tube is just about impossible to keep truly cool unless it is running at highway speed.

I get some complaints too, especially in heavy city traffic, but my mechanic has checked it out, and there is just nothing more to squeeze out of the AC system.

You would think someone would come up with an elegant fix.

Originally posted by Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast:
    We have an 05 Excursion 180" by Aladin.I have come to the conclusion that 60 is the coldest it will blow with a single compresor.

A real 60 degrees would be awesome on a hot day, but no chance.

Sal, mines a tuxedo, but that black top really makes it tough to cool.

I can't believe theres no savvy AC expert out there that doesn't want to make a lot of money by finding a fix and selling it to everybody.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geoff Levine:
    Ok, I got my limo back($1700+) and the front and rear are super cold, but the main passenger AC is just regular(10 times better than before). I'll still get complaints doing Temecula winery tours. Some rocket scientist at Ultra put the AC tubes running across the top of the vehicle under the black canvas top, so it's real tough to keep cool on a hot day. Somebody needs to come up with some kind of RV AC fix that runs without a generator. It can't be that hard.
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net

Hello there, I think the issue is your not removing enough heat from your condenser coil (the coil outside the car) that is why if your going down the highway the air is cool.

#1 If you can add or increase airflow over the coils that might take care of the issue.

#2 If the vehicle has a clutch fan the clutch may be bad. Look at aftermarket high volume fan blades(this may affect engine performance in colder weather so you may have to switch fans as the seasons change).

#3 call the company that made the A/C unit and give them the max outside temp and your desired inside temp. you may have to give some measurements and get your mech involved to get the engineer data from your current system. They can design a system that will work.

I hope this helps

Rob
    Originally posted by Geoff Levine:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast:
    We have an 05 Excursion 180" by Aladin.I have come to the conclusion that 60 is the coldest it will blow with a single compresor.

A real 60 degrees would be awesome on a hot day, but no chance.

Sal, mines a tuxedo, but that black top really makes it tough to cool.

I can't believe theres no savvy AC expert out there that doesn't want to make a lot of money by finding a fix and selling it to everybody.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geoff Levine:
    Ok, I got my limo back($1700+) and the front and rear are super cold, but the main passenger AC is just regular(10 times better than before). I'll still get complaints doing Temecula winery tours. Some rocket scientist at Ultra put the AC tubes running across the top of the vehicle under the black canvas top, so it's real tough to keep cool on a hot day. Somebody needs to come up with some kind of RV AC fix that runs without a generator. It can't be that hard.
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

I'm not a mechanic by any means, but someone was telling me that you could replace the clutch fan with an electric fan (I know they do this with race cars and semis). You would have a switch inside cab to turn it on so it would run while sitting still.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Blog Entries

I added dual 10" electric fans to our 180 Excursion and 120 lincoln.The best way to wire them is with a relay.A switch is a pain,with a relay the fans come on when the ac is on

Originally posted by Cedar Mill Limousine:
    I'm not a mechanic by any means, but someone was telling me that you could replace the clutch fan with an electric fan (I know they do this with race cars and semis). You would have a switch inside cab to turn it on so it would run while sitting still.

I like the idea about an extra electric fan. I'm not sure where they would put it, but I'll look into it.

My AC is actually working real good right now(after the $1700). I just wish it would come out at a higher pressure in the back. But with only one compressor thats not gonna happen. But I'm doing a wedding today, so I'll find out how cool the guys are in their monkey suits.

www.limokings.net

sound like you need to increase the cfms of the blower motor inside the cabin as well...check out www.manexcorp.com these guys supply a/c systems for the limo and rv industries they might be able to help out...rob
    PS check out the electric fans they sell a zip tie that mounts the fan right to the C coil.

I like the idea about an extra electric fan. I'm not sure where they would put it, but I'll look into it.

My AC is actually working real good right now(after the $1700). I just wish it would come out at a higher pressure in the back. But with only one compressor thats not gonna happen. But I'm doing a wedding today, so I'll find out how cool the guys are in their monkey suits.

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Originally posted by Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast:
    A switch is a pain,with a relay the fans come on when the ac is on
    I like this idea. Up here in the North, when we put the defrost on in the winter the A/C will kick on, will the fan always running have any bad effect in the winter?

btw, Innovative Innovations has aftermarket cooling fans, etc.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Senior Member Limo Padawan Mr.Frugality's Avatar

Testing the A/C with a wedding party is a bad idea!!! Trust me, all it takes is that one blogger in the hot limo to smear your name online, or worse yet, the groom or bride filing a complaint with BBB. This will cost more than fixing a/c problem in long run meaning someone interested in your services goes online, see's you operated a hot limo for a wedding party (BBB online report's for public to view free), uses another service. It's not worth the risk. Like I say, if you lose one customer, you just lost ten more.
    A true leader seeks the leader in others

Originally posted by Mr.Frugality:

Testing the A/C with a wedding party is a bad idea!!! Trust me, all it takes is that one blogger in the hot limo to smear your name online, or worse yet, the groom or bride filing a complaint with BBB. This will cost more than fixing a/c problem in long run meaning someone interested in your services goes online, see's you operated a hot limo for a wedding party (BBB online report's for public to view free), uses another service. It's not worth the risk. Like I say, if you lose one customer, you just lost ten more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are right, but I tested it before I took the job and it worked great. The funny thing is I got the job from one of the bigger companies because their Excursion's AC went out. They heard I just spent a bunch on mine and gave me the job.

I don't know if you saw my post on another thread about the BBB being a joke. But even so, I definately wouldn't want any bad publicity for a breakdown or equipment failure. Speaking of equipment failure, the day I picked my Excursion up from the AC shop, I brought it in to my mechanic for a 45 day inspection and front end inspection(bad wheel travel, horrible wobbling and jumping changing lanes on freeway). They had to replace all the fun stuff with the steering and put in a torsion bar to prevent more stress in the future(lifted Excursion with big tires). It cost me another $1700. So $3400 in bills for the Excursion in 2 days. But it drives like a dream now and they havn't even put the torsion bar on yet.

www.limokings.net

Senior Member Limo Padawan Mr.Frugality's Avatar

Well, there you go!! Case closed!! Good to hear!! It's more than what I would pay, but if it's fixed and your happy, then carry on!!!
    And the suspension is nothing to play around with... ok, bad joke, but true!! Last thing you need is a front lower ball joint disconnecting (happened to me with a stretch, luckily empty, almost flipped on side) Then forget the BBB, it will be sue time....
    Front suspension component's should be checked every six month's regardless of miles driven, and an annual A/C check/tune-up should be performed before ambient(outside)temps are 80%+ this will help with guessing if your stretch will make it through the summer without an a/c repair....
    Also check A/C at end of a warm season/replace any component's damaged from season, any repair'$ on an a/c system that's left unrepaired for, let's say, a cold winter, can lead to more repair'$ when the spring comes.
    A true leader seeks the leader in others