Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any air conditioning advice for an Excursion limo?

I'm bringing my 200" Excursion in for service tomorrow to an AC expert. But I would appreciate any advice before I go in. My AC is so cold sometimes I have to turn it off. But other times(when it's 90 plus outside), it just blows warm air. Also, if it's on Max it will sometimes stop blowing until I turn it to regular. I assume the AC guys will find some parts that need to be replaced. But I was wondering if any of you know of a nice upgrade(like an RV AC that would fit somewhere discreetly). I would love to have an icy cold limo for the summer winery tours. Any help would be appreciated.
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net

Senior Member Limo Padawan Mr.Frugality's Avatar

Geoff, when it comes to A/C, and limo's, there can be up to 20 different part's that make up the whole a/c system.
    Sometime's the previous owner may have recharged with a can and did not "purge" the line connecting the can to the drier, this add's air to the system which get's caught at top of condensor which can be the cause for poor air, or they could of taken the condensor fan out/fuse, or they might of taken the orifice tube out (this MAY cause the problem you describe and will give wrong pressure reading's), or they may remove the extra condensor, working everything off of the main one.
    Make sure you have 2 CONDENSOR'S, 1 LARGE or 2 SMALL EXTRA CONDENSOR FAN'S IN FRONT that work.
    Also, if you or anyone (especially those with older limo's) reading this has their limo a/c system opened for any repair or before a re-charge, do what I do:

1) Change the thermal in-line expansion valve ($27) located under partition, stick's out on side of evaporator box, has flat circular end with a copper strand protruding from the center-why? there is a small screen type filter inside that is known to get clogged over time
    2) Replace any o-ring ($5/bag) taken off of old part with SAME SIZE new one's (just spray with mineral oil to juvenate)
    3) Replace pancake filter $20 (yep another in-line screen type filter)- under hood, follow line FROM rear a/c that goes to condensor-filter will be connected in-between line and is circular in shape
    4) Replace in-line liquid 12v solenoid ($35) usually found in-line where line coming FROM condensor goes to rear evap. right before the line meet's the rear evap. it has two elec. wires connected, this is your on/off switch for rear a/c, since it is in-line, it can get "gunk" around the open/close part inside of valve and spring inside under solenoid wear's out from stretching-not opening fully
    5) Replace factory a/c system orifice tube ($12) (another filter and refrigerant reducer)
    6) Replace factory (and/or aux.) a/c drier/accumulator ($40)
    Now you have "tuned-up" your front/rear a/c system. It may sound like a lot, but all the part's listed above are small part's that are easy to change, find, and inexpensive.

To EVERYONE: PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE Make sure the person you take it to for repair's is an expert in LIMO ac work and has experience working on limo's!!! Don't take it to Midas, Pepboy's, Advanced Auto, etc...Most of the techs these shop's hire are fresh out of tech school and never touched a limo before!!!

First question I would ask THEM is: Do you have experience in limo ac work? If yes, ask: Can I get a name of a limo company your shop did business with? If yes, call the limo company, nicely ask for the owner, if not available, leave message explaining you were checking the reliability of an ac repair shop that they may have used in the past. If the shop answered NO to any question's above, get out of there, look somewhere else.
    Most ac repair shop's for car's don't have the spec. data for limo's pressure reading's. For example: some limo's that have one compressor can give up to 3 different low-side pressure reading's. Example: pressure reading changed when driver's air was turned off and rear air left on, reading also changed when rear air was off and driver's air was on, then again when driver's air is only on vent (not ac but with fan blowing) and rear air is on-ac.
    If the tech follow's the wrong reading, the charge will be wrong which can lead to premature compressor failure meaning your compressor will burn out / seize a lot sooner than it was made too.
    A trick I learned to get good cold a/c on limo's when temp.s are above 90% is to UNDERCHARGE the system, just a tad below what spec.s call for. About 5-8psi lower on the low-side reading. Don't ask why, I dunno, but I do know these system's do better undercharged. ANY a/c shop that is licensed to recover refrigerant can take some refrigerant (r-134) out.
    Here's a few link's that answer's most a/c question's:

www.manexcorp.com (click "troubleshoot" on home page)

www.autoacsystems.com/_faqs/detail/quick.html

Need to know what limo pressure reading's should be? Go here print for a/c tech:

www.manexcorp.com/images/limo_gauge.pdf
    A true leader seeks the leader in others

Originally posted by Mr.Frugality:
    Geoff, when it comes to A/C, and limo's, there can be up to 20 different part's that make up the whole a/c system.
    Sometime's the previous owner may have recharged with a can and did not "purge" the line connecting the can to the drier, this add's air to the system which get's caught at top of condensor which can be the cause for poor air, or they could of taken the condensor fan out/fuse, or they might of taken the orifice tube out (this MAY cause the problem you describe and will give wrong pressure reading's), or they may remove the extra condensor, working everything off of the main one.
    Make sure you have 2 CONDENSOR'S, 1 LARGE or 2 SMALL EXTRA CONDENSOR FAN'S IN FRONT that work.
    Also, if you or anyone (especially those with older limo's) reading this has their limo a/c system opened for any repair or before a re-charge, do what I do:

1) Change the thermal in-line expansion valve ($27) located under partition, stick's out on side of evaporator box, has flat circular end with a copper strand protruding from the center-why? there is a small screen type filter inside that is known to get clogged over time
    2) Replace any o-ring ($5/bag) taken off of old part with SAME SIZE new one's (just spray with mineral oil to juvenate)
    3) Replace pancake filter $20 (yep another in-line screen type filter)- under hood, follow line FROM rear a/c that goes to condensor-filter will be connected in-between line and is circular in shape
    4) Replace in-line liquid 12v solenoid ($35) usually found in-line where line coming FROM condensor goes to rear evap. right before the line meet's the rear evap. it has two elec. wires connected, this is your on/off switch for rear a/c, since it is in-line, it can get "gunk" around the open/close part inside of valve and spring inside under solenoid wear's out from stretching-not opening fully
    5) Replace factory a/c system orifice tube ($12) (another filter and refrigerant reducer)
    6) Replace factory (and/or aux.) a/c drier/accumulator ($40)
    Now you have "tuned-up" your front/rear a/c system. It may sound like a lot, but all the part's listed above are small part's that are easy to change, find, and inexpensive.

To EVERYONE: PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE Make sure the person you take it to for repair's is an expert in LIMO ac work and has experience working on limo's!!! Don't take it to Midas, Pepboy's, Advanced Auto, etc...Most of the techs these shop's hire are fresh out of tech school and never touched a limo before!!!

First question I would ask THEM is: Do you have experience in limo ac work? If yes, ask: Can I get a name of a limo company your shop did business with? If yes, call the limo company, nicely ask for the owner, if not available, leave message explaining you were checking the reliability of an ac repair shop that they may have used in the past. If the shop answered NO to any question's above, get out of there, look somewhere else.
    Most ac repair shop's for car's don't have the spec. data for limo's pressure reading's. For example: some limo's that have one compressor can give up to 3 different low-side pressure reading's. Example: pressure reading changed when driver's air was turned off and rear air left on, reading also changed when rear air was off and driver's air was on, then again when driver's air is only on vent (not ac but with fan blowing) and rear air is on-ac.
    If the tech follow's the wrong reading, the charge will be wrong which can lead to premature compressor failure meaning your compressor will burn out / seize a lot sooner than it was made too.
    A trick I learned to get good cold a/c on limo's when temp.s are above 90% is to UNDERCHARGE the system, just a tad below what spec.s call for. About 5-8psi lower on the low-side reading. Don't ask why, I dunno, but I do know these system's do better undercharged. ANY a/c shop that is licensed to recover refrigerant can take some refrigerant (r-134) out.
    Here's a link that answer's most a/c question's:

www.autoacsystems.com/_faqs/detail/quick.html

Need to know what limo pressure reading's should be? Go here print for a/c tech:

www.manexcorp.com/images/limo_gauge.pdf
    Thanks Frugal,
    I'm taking it to the best limo AC guys in San Diego(according to my buddy with a bigger company). They work with many different limo companies and have a great reputation. I'm bringing it in tomorrow and I'm gonna see what they suggest. I was hoping someone knew some RV AC trick I could do to make it icy cold. I'll update after tomorrow.

www.limokings.net

Originally posted by Geoff Levine:
    I'm bringing my 200" Excursion in for service tomorrow to an AC expert. But I would appreciate any advice before I go in. My AC is so cold sometimes I have to turn it off. But other times(when it's 90 plus outside), it just blows warm air. Also, if it's on Max it will sometimes stop blowing until I turn it to regular. I assume the AC guys will find some parts that need to be replaced. But I was wondering if any of you know of a nice upgrade(like an RV AC that would fit somewhere discreetly). I would love to have an icy cold limo for the summer winery tours. Any help would be appreciated.
    Since the majority of limousines have a/c systems by Mannix the first thing I would do is call them and ask them for a shop in your area that they can recommend. Once your system is up and running I doubt you will want to go and upgrade it from what both Mannix and the coachbuilder recommend for that vehicle's btu requirements.
    Rick E.
    City Limousine Sales
    √XTS Livery Sedans√Escalade ESV Livery Package SUV's√Lincoln & Cadillac Limousines & Funeral Coaches by Federal Coach√GMC Professional Grade SUV's & 15 Passenger Vans√Cadillac & Buick Passenger Cars, Crossovers, and SUV's.

~Stupidity might be hereditary, but ignorance should be painful!~

www.citylimosales.com

Originally posted by Rick E.:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geoff Levine:
    Since the majority of limousines have a/c systems by Mannix the first thing I would do is call them and ask them for a shop in your area that they can recommend. Once your system is up and running I doubt you will want to go and upgrade it from what both Mannix and the coachbuilder recommend for that vehicle's btu requirements. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Excursion is at the AC place now(Auto-Air-Marine-Electric in El Cajon). As I pulled in the large driveway I saw another limo being worked on. Several other limo companies have great things to say about these guys, so hopefully things go well. I'm sticking with the stock AC abd hopefully these guys can make it cold for my clients. I'm sick and tired of clients asking me to make it cooler during a run on a steaming hot day.

www.limokings.net

Vehicle's btu requirement? huh? never heard of that before. What's that? Anyway's you can shop at home, forgot to include link for MANEX not mannix, here:

www.manexcorp.com

So far I have a bad compressor($1200). They say to get the front icy cold is no problem. There gonna do their best to make the rear cold. I forgot to ask what company, but they said the original AC company(it's an Ultra stretch) went out of business, so they couldn't get the proper numbers and they're experimenting.

www.limokings.net

So far I have a bad compressor($1200). They say to get the front icy cold is no problem. There gonna do their best to make the rear cold. I forgot to ask what company, but they said the original AC company(it's an Ultra stretch) went out of business, so they couldn't get the proper numbers and they're experimenting.
    $1200...??? what? go here, buy the compressor, have shop install with new drier (can find at most auto stores), then your just paying for installation/re-charge fee. www.carcompressors.com they have NEW (don't install rebuilt, make sure shop doesn't buy a rebuilt)OEM a/c compressors. Example: 2000-03 excursion ---$195

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geoff Levine:
    $1200...??? what? go here, buy the compressor, have shop install with new drier (can find at most auto stores), then your just paying for installation/re-charge fee. www.carcompressors.com they have NEW (don't install rebuilt, make sure shop doesn't buy a rebuilt)OEM a/c compressors. Example: 2000-03 excursion ---$195 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish I had the time to research and price check, but I go on vacation wednesday and don't want to stress over fixing this. They told me it was an extra big compressor and I'm sure they will put a new one in. My friend is friends with the owner and told him to take care of me. So if I do get screwed(but I doubt I will), he'll help me. I just want the problem fixed at this point.

www.limokings.net

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr.Frugality:
    $1200...??? what? go here, buy the compressor, have shop install with new drier (can find at most auto stores), then your just paying for installation/re-charge fee. www.carcompressors.com they have NEW (don't install rebuilt, make sure shop doesn't buy a rebuilt)OEM a/c compressors. Example: 2000-03 excursion ---$195 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish I had the time to research and price check, but I go on vacation wednesday and don't want to stress over fixing this. They told me it was an extra big compressor and I'm sure they will put a new one in. My friend is friends with the owner and told him to take care of me. So if I do get screwed(but I doubt I will), he'll help me. I just want the problem fixed at this point. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vacation? There's no stinkin vacation's in this biz ... haha I'm jealous... where you goin?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr.Frugality:

I wish I had the time to research and price check, but I go on vacation wednesday and don't want to stress over fixing this. They told me it was an extra big compressor and I'm sure they will put a new one in. My friend is friends with the owner and told him to take care of me. So if I do get screwed(but I doubt I will), he'll help me. I just want the problem fixed at this point. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vacation? There's no stinkin vacation's in this biz ... haha I'm jealous... where you goin? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My dads an attorney and theres a law convention up in Monterey. This is the first vacation with my Dad since I was a kid. He just beat cancer(so far) and I'm gonna offer him one of my kidneys so he doesn't have to do dialysis. It should be a great bonding vacation. I can't wait.

www.limokings.net

Vacation? There's no stinkin vacation's in this biz ... haha I'm jealous... where you goin?[/QUOTE]

My dads an attorney and theres a law convention up in Monterey. This is the first vacation with my Dad since I was a kid. He just beat cancer(so far) and I'm gonna offer him one of my kidneys so he doesn't have to do dialysis. It should be a great bonding vacation. I can't wait.[/QUOTE]

Man I don't know what to say other than it takes big kahuna's to do what your doing. That's courage man!!!
    To both: Wish the best for a positive recovery!!!
    nah-mi-ah-ha-re-ngh-ay-ki-yo-hoa --- A lil chant I speak for both meaning health/wellness!!!

Vacation? There's no stinkin vacation's in this biz ... haha I'm jealous... where you goin?
    My dads an attorney and theres a law convention up in Monterey. This is the first vacation with my Dad since I was a kid. He just beat cancer(so far) and I'm gonna offer him one of my kidneys so he doesn't have to do dialysis. It should be a great bonding vacation. I can't wait.[/QUOTE]

Man I don't know what to say other than it takes big kahuna's to do what your doing. That's courage man!!!
    To both: Wish the best for a positive recovery!!!
    nah-mi-ah-ha-re-ngh-ay-ki-yo-hoa --- A lil chant I speak for both meaning health/wellness!!![/QUOTE]

Thanks. I don't even know if I'm compatible or if he'll even let me do it yet. But he is my #1 Dad, so I gotta offer.

www.limokings.net

Ok, I got my limo back($1700+) and the front and rear are super cold, but the main passenger AC is just regular(10 times better than before). I'll still get complaints doing Temecula winery tours. Some rocket scientist at Ultra put the AC tubes running across the top of the vehicle under the black canvas top, so it's real tough to keep cool on a hot day. Somebody needs to come up with some kind of RV AC fix that runs without a generator. It can't be that hard.

www.limokings.net

Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Blog Entries

We have an 05 Excursion 180" by Aladin.I have come to the conclusion that 60 is the coldest it will blow with a single compresor.

Ok, I got my limo back($1700+) and the front and rear are super cold, but the main passenger AC is just regular(10 times better than before). I'll still get complaints doing Temecula winery tours. Some rocket scientist at Ultra put the AC tubes running across the top of the vehicle under the black canvas top, so it's real tough to keep cool on a hot day. Somebody needs to come up with some kind of RV AC fix that runs without a generator. It can't be that hard.