Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Melted fuses on mastrcon board

We are having a problem with fuses getting so hot on the control board that they melt (not blown). The fuses control the blower's 1 and 2 also the relays for the blowers are extremly hot as well. I checked the grounds to the relays and all seems good. I had a friend suggest that the brushes on the fan motors could be getting worn and causing more load thus heating the wiring(MTG turbo air's)seems odd to me that both motors on 2 different units would be bad at the same time has anyone had any similar problems? This is an 04 excursion with 30k miles any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Again no fuses have blown just so hot they melt the plastic off and will burn you.

Have you checked with the builder to see if they know about the problem and if so have they come up with the reasons for it and made a retro fix ?

Unfortunatly the builder doesn't exsist anymore (ultra) good old vinnie! lol so I am on my own with this one

We had a similiar problem with fuses melting .What we found was that sometimes the fuses were not quality name brand fuses just cheap imported fuses and they would melt . When they were replaced with a quality new fuses we had no problems.Have you tried to replace them with a differnt brand fuse?

We replaced the fuses and the new ones still get extremly hot after about 5 minutes as well as the relays, we droped it off at a repair shop today to have it looked at, the technician seems to also think that the brushes on the armature for the blowers are getting worn and causing an overload thus resulting in the wiring burning up, I contacted MTG today to inquire about the board and the motors was told to have the shop trouble shoot then let them know what the problem is, We will see if MTG will do anything about the blowers even though they are not that old, you would think that somekind of early failure warranty would be due!
    will update soon as I hear from the repair shop.

Member Limo Padawan

Hello all. Ive got a 2002 200" ULTRA excursion that just did the same thing to me last night while out on the town. The fuses melted, but there not the blower fuses they are the fish tank and lava lamp fuses(inverter). Two fuses total melted. Im working on the fix right now and will post hopefully soon as to what I find. The model that I have is mdnrm28 serial 9389. Just interested to know if your board is the same? even though they are 2yrs apart it wouldnt suprise me. By the way my 2002 has only 17k miles(weddings only up till recently). If you have found the problem please let me know.

Have you tried to replace the fuse with a circuit breaker? I beleive the brand name Buss fuse is about the best you can buy, try it and see.
    David E. Merrill

Member Limo Padawan

No i havent yet, maybe my next step though. Pulled fuses and what do you know the a/c in the rear went away. so the second fuse was a/c. even though it melted it was still working(thankfully for me because of the 15 people I had out last night). O.K so 1 fuse is for inverter and second fuse is for a/c. Ill look into circuit breaker option , but gotta get running today for this evening.

Member Limo Padawan

Just tried to replace with Buss Circuit breakers as you advised--NO luck must be something behind the board. I will have to tear it out. I will let you know what I have found.

Member Limo Padawan

OK. Its been a long weekend. This is what I found. I purchased this truck a few monthes back and have been all over it and learning real quick on fixing items. The fuses that blew were on a circuit for the inverter and the rear blower motor. There are 3 blowers on this vech. 1 behind the driver/the pass. and the long rear bench seat drivers side. The 3rd one(behind long bench) was not hooked up when I picked truck up and thus the floor vents were not blowing. The a/c was still cold with out them, but I want everything thats there to work. So about 2 weeks ago I found the wiring was cut and decided to redo. The circuit that this wire was orig. hooked to cannot handle this load and gets hot. thus melting the fuses. I disconnected the 3rd blower and replaced the inverter and havent had a problem all weekend. even the fuses are touchable now. Im going to locate a circuit that can handle the load this week, and if fuses get to hot my local a/c guy will replace the blower motor. Ill keep you posted if interested.

One would think that the fuse link would blow rather than melt the plastic itself if there was excessive draw. What you say how ever does make sense.
    David E. Merrill

Wow! looks like a busy week, sorry to hear about your problem Exotic, We think we have solved our issues for now our mechanic was able to trace the problem back to the board and yes we have the same board as Exotic does, It seems as though the spade's that the fuses plug into on the board became loose from who knows what and were causing the resistance and making evrything hot, After a call to Eddie at Mastrcon he advised us that we could send it in for repair and that it would be a 5-7 day turn around from when they recieved it, however we could not afford to have a vehicle down for this long so we opted to let our mechanic make his own fix for it and bypass the board on the bad circuits, He did and presto no problems overheating anymore and the relays are cool now. Also Exotic if your setup is similar to ours that 3rd blower you talked about with the vents on the floor is your stand alone heat blower and you should have 3 relays 1 for the heater which will never get used in florida and 2 for the dual A/C blowers, You should also have a relay for the inverter. We do its not wired to the same circuit as the A/C blowers never had a problem with that one atleast not yet (knock on wood), All I can recommend to you is to try and find a really good mechanic or someone that really understands how these things are wired to assist you, I learned from experience when you think you fixed it the problem becomes worse, good luck to you drop me a line if I can help.

Member Limo Padawan

Found a bad main ground to the board causing some small issues, but enough is enough so Im upgrading and pulling all the Mastrcon equiptment out and installing LimoTouch Controls. I have them in two of the other limos and like there look and ease of use. A little pricey, but not so bad if every thing stays running with no problems. I do have 3 A/c Turbo blowers and the Mastrcon board is only set up for two so that maybe the orig problem. If anyone needs a wiring diagrahm for MDNRM28 send me your fax and ill be glad to pass it along.
    Originally posted by Nite2RememberLimo:
    We are having a problem with fuses getting so hot on the control board that they melt (not blown). The fuses control the blower's 1 and 2 also the relays for the blowers are extremly hot as well. I checked the grounds to the relays and all seems good. I had a friend suggest that the brushes on the fan motors could be getting worn and causing more load thus heating the wiring(MTG turbo air's)seems odd to me that both motors on 2 different units would be bad at the same time has anyone had any similar problems? This is an 04 excursion with 30k miles any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Again no fuses have blown just so hot they melt the plastic off and will burn you.

Member Limo Padawan

Well ive updated my 2002 excursion with Limotouch controls and Ive gotta say...Im much happier. There easier to use, look nicer, and easier to diag./replace if there is a problem. Took all of three days to install and even was able to have the third blower running now(burrr). Even upgraded the fiber optics to LED's from Halogens very nice indeed. So if anyones looking for Mastrcon board and control panels let me know(Working for now). This upgrade was alittle pricey, but I feel was worth the amount considering the amount of tylenol I had to start taking. With under 20k miles this truck looks new and is as new as my other 2006 limos. Thanks for all the past advise. Dan & Rosanna
    Originally posted by Exotic Limousine Services:
    Found a bad main ground to the board causing some small issues, but enough is enough so Im upgrading and pulling all the Mastrcon equiptment out and installing LimoTouch Controls. I have them in two of the other limos and like there look and ease of use. A little pricey, but not so bad if every thing stays running with no problems. I do have 3 A/c Turbo blowers and the Mastrcon board is only set up for two so that maybe the orig problem. If anyone needs a wiring diagrahm for MDNRM28 send me your fax and ill be glad to pass it along. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nite2RememberLimo:
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Need a passenger area Mastrcon controller. Do you still have your Mastrcon gear that you replaced with LimoTouch? Need ASAP due to vanadalism. Jeff Saylor 513.874.5980

Originally posted by Exotic Limousine Services:
    Well ive updated my 2002 excursion with Limotouch controls and Ive gotta say...Im much happier. There easier to use, look nicer, and easier to diag./replace if there is a problem. Took all of three days to install and even was able to have the third blower running now(burrr). Even upgraded the fiber optics to LED's from Halogens very nice indeed. So if anyones looking for Mastrcon board and control panels let me know(Working for now). This upgrade was alittle pricey, but I feel was worth the amount considering the amount of tylenol I had to start taking. With under 20k miles this truck looks new and is as new as my other 2006 limos. Thanks for all the past advise. Dan & Rosanna<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Exotic Limousine Services:
    Found a bad main ground to the board causing some small issues, but enough is enough so Im upgrading and pulling all the Mastrcon equiptment out and installing LimoTouch Controls. I have them in two of the other limos and like there look and ease of use. A little pricey, but not so bad if every thing stays running with no problems. I do have 3 A/c Turbo blowers and the Mastrcon board is only set up for two so that maybe the orig problem. If anyone needs a wiring diagrahm for MDNRM28 send me your fax and ill be glad to pass it along. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nite2RememberLimo:
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>