Thread: Starting a New association

Senior Member Limo Padawan Cliff Robinson's Avatar

I am in the formative stages of starting a New Limousine association in the State of Oregon or Both the Sate of Oregon and Washington State.

There are no associations in the North West and I am looking for any one with an interest in helping me to formulate a New Charter Organization.

I am consulting with the NLA about a State branch of the National Association but have not heard back from them as of Yet anyway.

What I am going to purpose if that falls through is an "Oregon Or North West Limousine Association" here are some of the charter things I have come up with by gleaning from other associations I would appreciate any comments any one might have!

Here are my purposed BY-Laws

Oregon Limousine Association or North West Limousine Association

BYLAWS

Article I
    Name and Principal Office

Section 1. Name. The name of this association shall be the Oregon Limousine Association (“OLA”) or North West Limousine Association (NWLA), a non-profit association registered in Washington County Oregon.

Section 2. Office. The principal office of the OLA or NWLA shall be located in the metropolitan area of Portland, Oregon.

Article II
    Purpose

SECTION 1. Purpose
    The purpose of the OLA or NWLA shall be to provide an exchange of information and views by members through quarterly meetings; to make available group insurance, discounts on repairs and services to benefit each limousine company; to provide representation to govern rules and/or regulations that would affect the limousine industry in the State of Oregon, the cities of Portland and Salem, and the PDX International Airport; Seattle, Olympia, Seatac Airport in Washington State and to provide educational training seminars for members and/or chauffeurs.

SECTION 2. Goals
    a. Promote and advance the interests of the private livery industry:
    (1) Serve as spokesman for matters and issues of interest to its members.
    (2) Promote economy, efficiency, and professionalism in owning and operating vehicles and related services.
    (3) Disseminate information of interest to the private livery industry.
    (4) Promote use of products, merchandise, education, and systems, which will further advance the interests of its members.
    b. Establish, and maintain a professional code of ethics for OLA or NWLA members and advocate fair practice.
    c. Share resources and buying power in the marketplace for the common benefit of association members.

SECTION 3. Ethics
    Membership in the OLA or NWLA implies that each member abides by the following Code of Ethics:
    a. To conduct all business with integrity, sincerity, and accuracy in an open and forthright manner;
    b. To operate lawfully within the jurisdiction of all lawful states, municipalities, and authorities and carry all required state and federal certificates and insurance requirements on all vehicles. When required by law the current owner and or agent of record and or persons affiliated with their firm, are to preserve the interests and protect the interests of the public and or the members they perform services for;
    c. To provide factual and accurate information regarding their products and services or the products and services of a firm they represent, and to avoid misleading or deceptive practices which could be damaging to the consumer or the private livery industry;
    d. To consider every transaction with clients and or association members as confidential, not disclosing any information regarding these transactions without the client's and or association member’s permission unless law requires such disclosure;
    e. To respond promptly to customer complaints;
    f. To cooperate fully with any inquiry regarding disputes involving customers and/or member companies.
    g. Does not solicit another association member’s client while performing services for an association member.

Article III

Section 1. Classes. There shall be the following types of membership in the OLA or NWLA

a. Active/Regular Members
    b. Associate/Affiliate Members

Section 2. Active/Regular Members. The designation “Active Member” shall apply to owners or operators who meet the following qualification:

a. Owner or operator of a limousine service operating in Portland, Salem or PDX International Airport or the State of Oegon or Seattle, Olympia or SeaTac Airport in the State of Washington in which limousines are offered for hire. Only one person per company is considered an “Active Member” with voting privileges.

b. Have a valid city permit if Required with the city of Portland or the city of Salem, or PDX International Airport, or Seattle, Olympia or SeaTac airport in the state of Washington or any city where such requirements must be meet in order to conduct business legally..

c. Are approved by a majority vote of the Board of Directors after 30 days from date of the application.

d. Have paid annual dues.

All Active Members shall be entitled to vote at meetings of the Association and shall be eligible to serve as Directors and Officers.

Section 3. Associate/Affiliate Members. The designation “Associate Member” shall apply to individuals and entities which meet the following qualifications:

a. Own or operate a trade or business in Portland, Salem or any city in Oregon or Washington State which provides products or services related to the limousine industry.

b. Are accepted for membership by vote of the Board of Directors.

c. Pay annual dues.

All Associate Members shall be entitled to attend all open meetings of the OLA or NWLA but shall not have the right to vote or hold elective office in the association. (except for affiliate representative elected to the Board of Directors)

Section 4. Expulsion and Suspension. Active or Associate members may be expelled or suspended for cause by majority vote of those present at any meeting of the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors shall be the judge of sufficiency of such cause, and shall afford the member an opportunity to defend himself.

Article IV
    Dues

Section 1. Amount and Due Date. Dues shall be set by the Board of Directors. All dues shall be payable on January 1st of each year.

Section 2. Delinquent Payment. Any member of the OLA or NWLA who shall be delinquent in the payment of dues after 30 days shall be notified in writing of delinquency and suspended from the Association if not paid in ten (10) days.

Section 3. Refund. No refund on dues shall be made to any member whose membership is terminated for any reason.

Article V
    Meetings and Elections

Section1. Meetings of Membership. A quarterly meeting of the OLA or NWLA will be held. Date, time and place shall be determined by the Board of Directors. All members will be notified in writing via e-mail.

Section 2. Monthly Board of Directors Meetings. The Association Board of Directors will hold monthly meetings. These meetings will be closed meetings and will be attended only by the Association Board of Directors, and persons the Board at its discretion request to attend. The time, place, and date of the monthly Board meetings will be set by the Board of Directors.

Section 3. Voting by Active Members. Each Active member of the OLA or NWLA whose dues are fully paid for the current fiscal year shall be entitled to one vote per company.

Section 4. Order of Business. The order of business at all meetings of members shall be as follows:

a. Roll call
    b. Reading of the minutes of the proceeding meeting
    c. Treasurer’s report
    d. Report of officers
    e. Old and unfinished business
    f. New members – reading and voting
    g. New business
    h. Election of officers and directors
    i. Good and welfare
    j. Adjournment

Section 5. Nomination of Directors and Officers. Before the meeting in January of each year, the Secretary shall notify all members of Election of Officers for the next year of office. Nominations for any office shall be made in writing 10 days prior to our January meeting by at least three (3) Active Members.

Section 6. Election of Officers. At the meeting in January of each year, there shall be an election, by a majority vote of the voting members, of the following officers:

a. President
    b. Vice-President
    c. Treasurer
    d. Secretary
    e. 3-member Advisory Committee

Article VI
    Board of Directors

Section1. Composition. The Board of Directors shall consist of the following:

a. President
    b. Vice-President
    c. Treasurer
    d. Secretary
    e. 3-member Advisory Committee

The Board of Directors and the 3-member Advisory Committee’s terms are for one year. Re-election to the same office must be by a majority vote of the voting members.

Section 2. Failure to Attend Meetings. Any elected officer who fails to attend two (2) successive quarterly meetings of the Association, or three (3) successive monthly Board of Directors Meetings may be removed from such office by a majority vote of the Board of Directors.

Section 3. Resignation. An elected officer may resign at any time by giving a two-week notice in writing. An election will be held at the next monthly meeting to fill the vacancy. Vacancies occurring in the Board of Directors for any reason except the removal of Director without cause may be filled by vote of a majority of the Directors in office.
    Article VII
    Officers

Section 1. President. The President shall be the principal executive officer of the OLA. He shall preside at all meetings of the OLA or NWLA and the Board of Directors.

Section 2. Vice President. The Vice President shall perform such duties and have such powers as may be delegated by the President with the approval of the Board of Directors. During the absence or disability of the President, he shall have all powers and functions of the President.

Section 3. Treasurer. The Treasurer shall be the financial officer of the OLA or NWLA. He shall supervise the handling of all funds and report financial status at monthly meetings.

Section 4. Secretary. The Secretary shall be responsible for keeping the minutes of the meetings. The Secretary will keep records on all Active Members and Associate Members.

Article VIII
    Amendments

These By-laws of the OLA or NWLA may be amended at any annual meeting, or at any special meeting called for that purpose, by majority vote of Active Members present.

Article IX
    Finances

Section 1. Bank Accounts.
    The funds of the Association are deposited in interest-bearing accounts in the name of the Association in financial institutions selected by the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors may provide for the payment of expenses of the offices of the Association and may authorize signatures for withdrawals and balances, as the Board of Directors may deem appropriate.

Section 2. Fiscal Year.
    The fiscal year of the Association begins January 1 and ends December 31 each year.

Section 3. Financial Report.
    The Treasurer furnishes to the Board of Directors a monthly financial report at each regularly scheduled Board meeting, a Quarterly Financial Report of the
    Association and also furnishes a report at the regular meetings of the membership and a Annual Statement at the Annual Membership Meeting in January.

Section 4. Special Issues Fund.
    The President with approval of two thirds of the Board of Directors may initiate
    additional financing for whatever purpose the Board of Directors sees fit.

Article X
    Indemnification

The Board may provide for indemnification by the Association of any and all of its Directors or Officers or former Directors of Officers against expenses actually and necessarily incurred by them in connection with the defense of any action, suit, or proceeding, to which they are a part by reason of having been Directors or Officers of the Association. The Board will not provide this indemnification when these Directors or Officers are judged in the matter to be liable for negligence or misconduct in the performance of duty as determined by the insurance carrier or when the matter is settled by agreement predicated on the existence of such liability for negligence or misconduct.

Article XI
    Dissolution

The Association may use its funds only to accomplish the objectives and purposes specified in these bylaws, and no part of said funds may inure, or be distributed, to the members of the Association. On dissolution of the Association any funds remaining must be distributed to one or more regularly organized and qualified charitable, educational, scientific, philanthropic organization to be selected by the Board of Directors.
    When you were born you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a way, that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice!

Blog Entries

I always understood that Oregon had a Limousine Association. I have met your members in the past. We have an association in Wa State.

I doubt if anyone of us is in Seattle will be willing to drive 3 1/2 hours to Oregon for a meeting. Plus each state is different and has it own laws and different requirements. Our DOL permits and inspections in Washington state are different from Oregon State.

Did a search on Google for Oregon Limo Association, and first result was link right back here:

http://limos.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a...2/m/2296007732

-Greg
    This space intentionally left blank.

Blog Entries

We are please to annouce the formation of the Oregon Assoication. We have also joined the NLA.

President:Troy Farmer "Presidental Limo"

Vice President: John Sinibaldi "Carey Five Star Limousine Service"

2nd VP: Chris Casteel "Prestige Limousine"

SecretaryTavia Farmer "Presidental Limo"

Treasurer:Tom "Northwest Protection Service"

We would like to thank the NLA and Barry for coming out to our first meeting. Our next meeting will be on September 18th.

Blog Entries

I hope they are still in business.

We have an association in Washington State but have not had a meeting for the last three years.

Thats not exactly an association if you have not meet in Three years now is it? LOL

I appreciate the comments concerning a Bi State association though you are right about the differences between states and their requirements I had not given that a whole lots of consideration. I was more focused that I could not find an active association here at all or get answers about any in general.

I am still talking to NLA as to chartering a State chapter though just makes perfect sense to me.

thanks
    Cliff
    When you were born you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a way, that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice!

Senior Member Limo Padawan

Cliff, Did you ever get this up and running or find one already operating in Oregon that is active? I would be interested in more information .

Marcus
    markeedragon@markeedragon.com

==============

Check out my Limo blog where I tell all about our first year of business.

HI MARCUS

No there is No active assoiciation here in Oregon. One of the NLA officers is going to come Visit me in the next week or so when he is in town and we are going to discuss the possiability of JUmp starting an assoiciation once again.

Unfortunately the old assoiciation simply lost interest and members and the whole thing collapsed on them as best as I can tell.

I have spoken to Chris Casteel and hope to get him back involved with one once I lay the ground work. He is the owner of Prestige Limousine a great company here in town and someone I respect who has some iNtegredy to him. I have also spoken to a few others and I believe that we can get this going again in a strong way once all the Holiday stuff is over with.

thanks for asking and welcome to the Board there are some fine folks here for the most part and a few who are Jaded, tired and just love to complain. LOL

So Whats the Next Huge Game thats going to Make you a Multi Millioniare Thrice over?

My wife as with so many others that are dog lovers talk "baby talk" to the mutts. One time as she was doing this I said to her, "do you know what the dog hears when you're talking all that gibberish? woof, woof, woof, woof".

When I read the purpose statement of many associations what do I see? Woof, woof, woof, woof, woof.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Senior Member Limo Padawan

Well lets work on this together. I'm currently diving in head first on our new limo service company. I have some previous experience as a driver. It's been over 10 years ago. I actually used to work for Prestige Limousine. they were a very good company to work for. Very professional. To this day I still use their services once or twice a year. Even though I got fired from there. lol That's another story though.

I believe we will start offering services to the public before March. We are focusing on the larger vehicles. We had planned to start with a Mammoth but the purchase of that has been delayed by a few months. Then I cam across a fine H1 that is very undervalued. I'm having it inspected by a hummer dealership tomorrow. If all goes well I'll be driving it back to Portland on the 8th......

I am very interested in being active in a local organization. Even if it not an official one.

==============

Check out my Limo blog where I tell all about our first year of business.