Thread: Anyone with experience on TV

Does anyone have experience with short television advertising as the result of sponsorships?

For example, you chauffeur a local pro athlete to the news station for an interview. In return, you get a short "billboard" and a mention on the TV newscast at conclusion ... for example, "Limo service provided by AAA Limo - for all your limo needs call AAA limo at 888.888.8888"

We are exploring such things, but on a national level.

Anyone done such a thing? JIM LUFF? Didn't you say you did something like this?

The Redondo Beach School of Numbers
    A graduate with full honors ...

Member Limo Padawan

We've done several spots just like this. I can't say that it generated any direct business but it definitely did help with our brand awareness.

<table border="0" cellspacing="3" cellpadding="0">
    <tr>
    <td valign="top">

</td>
    <td valign="bottom"><font face="Courier, Arial" size="3" color="#000000">Tim Jespersen
    </font>
    <font face="Trebuchet MS, Arial" size="2" color="#804000">Dallas County Coach & Limousine
    <font face="Arial" size="1">Office: 972.501.0500 | Mobile: 972.672.9024</font>
    <font face="Arial" size="1">E-Mail: tim@dcclimo.com | http://www.dcclimo.com</font>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    Tim Jespersen
    Image Chauffeured Transportation - http://www.imageride.com
    President, Dallas/Fort Worth Limousine Association - http://www.dfwlimo.org

As DCC says it is a good way to generate top of mind awareness, but in regards to meeting one of the key tenants of advertising: it is hard to track direct results and return on investment. That doesn't mean don't do it, though.

One way I look at these is - how long do they need the vehicle, what is my cost, do I have vehicles available (don't want to lose hard revenue in addition to cost of the charity), how is my name going to be displayed, and can I get any other mileage out of it? (example: see our website - we did some work for the new Joe Millionaire show, plus another TV show earlier this year)
    Tony Franzetti
    Marriton Limousine, Austin, TX
    Austin Limousine service, Austin airport service, austin bus charters
    http://www.marritonlimo.com

Member Limo Padawan

We've been on TV a few times - Special report on Livery vehicles, MDA 'lock-up' fund raisers & check presentation on telethons, etc.. However, most of our 'barter' advertising has been for radio. While my web site clicker will show an increase in activity for a day or so, I'm really not sure of the actual increase in biz. It is fun, though.

Patty - SC&L

This strategy requires consistent year round effort to show true dividends, and is most effective if done in multiple advertising mediums, ie radio, TV, print, posters, billboards, etc. A catch-phrase, tune or jingle will help cement your 'brand'.
    Simply hearing your name once on TV won't make a noticeable impact. Top of mind awareness requires an almost subliminal barrage spaced out consistenetly throughout the year.
    We ran a radio campaign this year for one of our (non-limo related) retail stores and even though we only ran two spots for one day per week (every week) after a few months people swore they heard our ad 'all the time'. And, they came in the store humming our jingle complaining they 'couldn't get it out of their mind'. Now if I could just come up with one of those for the limo biz....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Specialtylimo:
    We've been on TV a few times - Special report on Livery vehicles, MDA 'lock-up' fund raisers & check presentation on telethons, etc.. However, most of our 'barter' advertising has been for radio. While my web site clicker will show an increase in activity for a day or so, I'm really not sure of the actual increase in biz. It is fun, though.

Patty - SC&L<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Tony Franzetti
    Marriton Limousine, Austin, TX
    Austin Limousine service, Austin airport service, austin bus charters
    http://www.marritonlimo.com

Yes, I do have experience with this. TV ads can be traded in one of two ways. The first, as you described is referred to as a tag where you are "tagged" on to the ad of someone else. This provides very limited exposure for you and when we do this, we ask that our name be mentioned at least TWICE. The better method is a trade of your fee for three times the value of what the TV station charges for spots. This is known as a 3:1 ($3 to $1) meaning for each dollar of service I am going to give you (the TV station), you are going to give me $3 in advertising money to spend on your station. You really need to spend at least $1000 to run an effective "top of mind awareness" campaign or "flight". You simply can't do that with one ride unless you do a 3:1 trade. The TV station wants and needs you. You have the product/service they are asking for and if you point out that unless you do a 3:1 trade, there really is limited value to them. They know this to be true because their sales reps are out there everyday telling people you need to spend this much to be effective so they won't argue with you about it. The last thing I will add is that TV is only top of mind awareness. Rarely are people motivated by a TV commercial to book a limo unless it is a specific package such as the limo and dinner for a limited time. It does build name recognition and jingles and visual logos improve this.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com