Thread: Communications? Fleet Tracking? HELP!

Hey fellow limousine operators. We have blanket the country looking for the perfect communications, GPS and dispatching system (NOT talking livery software now) for our vehicles. We run a large network in the Southwest and can't seem to get a straight and cost-effective answer!

Anyone running into the same problem? Hmm..Nextel does radio but phone service sucks, two-ways are bulky and analog signals are a thing of the past. Two-way pagers are nice but its nice to have backup voice contact. Your client also continues to occasionally request reliable phone service. To top it all off..you need real time GPS tracking of your fleet!

Nextel, At Road, AT&T, MOTOROLA, RIM pagers, RLM Software, etc. etc. - yet none of them can agree on a one-stop solution. Piece-meal is akward and expensive.

Just thought I'd chum the waters here and see if anyone's biting..

Sheldon Levin
    Sedans, Incorporated

I'll bite! We've put the whole issue off as something whose time has not yet come, and even if it had, it is too early to be cost-effective. Maybe another year after the mandated 911-location service has been fully implemented and the cellular services take over GPS functionality - AND either Nextel's system improves or someone like MCI buys Nextel and gooses up its service.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jhj:
    I'll bite! We've put the whole issue off as something whose time has not yet come, and even if it had, it is too early to be cost-effective. Maybe another year after the mandated 911-location service has been fully implemented and the cellular services take over GPS functionality - AND either Nextel's system improves or someone like MCI buys Nextel and gooses up its service.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    In the smaller markets it is a major problem-you see the great ads in the magazines, and then find out that they don't cover your area.I hope we see change soon. Dean Schuler

Unfortunately, our client base and marketing plan requires us to stay ahead of the curve. Our market has been the test market for several of these technologies and we still have not been able to focus on one solution.

We are a major market - the problem is not coverage. The problem is that the technology hasn't progressed far enought yet. Whether it ever will, of course, is a function of demand for the service. There are few limousine companies that are either large enough or interested enough to be looking for such solutions. For God's sake, most limousine operators don't use computers, less have e-mail capability, and, ask Michael, the internet is as much a mystery to them as particle physics. GPS? Unknown to most operators. If the proper solutions become available, as I said, it will be an offshoot of the development of the technology for some broader purpose, such as the 911-location solution. In the meantime, there is no good solution other than the expense of multiple solutions. We have some vehicles that have so many antennae that they rival the state patrol.

May I put my two cents in, I have used a satellite phone supplied by O"Gara Hess and Eisenhardt and whilst very expensive it is always capable of being in contact.
    Nokia are bringing out a new 8190 unit that may have the capabilities you are looking for with new tech unit fitted into it.
    Good luck
    Dick Hall