Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DEADBEAT LIMO COMPANY LIST

We are wondering if it would be valuable to post a listing of all the limousine companies who DO NOT pay their bills. (Company's who owe us money and have misrepresented themselves to us).

A company who does not pay their bills is usually a good indication on how honorable a company is.

Our service is consumer oriented and we would prefer that these company's who lack integrity and are dishonest, receive the Bad PR that they deserve. If a company does not pay their bills, they should not be servicing the public.

As we all know, there are too many limo services who are dishonest and have little ethics; it tarnishes this industry for all of us who are honest, respective, and hold values of integrity.

We have thought about starting a "DeadBeat Limo Company List" for all of us fed-up with companies who don't know how to pay their vendors and/or contractors.

Any thoughts?

Another subject next to my heart! YES!YES!YES! These idiots ruin our reputations, and all the good companies take hits for them. I have been trying to get the New England Livery Association to do this type of thing, and have current members vote on new members, but they are only looking to increase membership. I have personally dealth with two companies I subbed to who begged me to bail their buts out of a screw up and didn't pay me! I took each to court and won, but I had to go thorugh that hassle. I also informed everyone I know about these companies, so I did my own black list in the area, but yes, we should be able to register these types of companies, so that if I get a call from someone in CA to do a job for them here in MA, I know I will get paid! Also, like the BBB, shouldn't the customer know that if they hire me, they will get a company that will perform? You do your recommendations of websites, and companies that meet your standards, wouldn't this just be another service for the customer? I like the idea! Of course, if you are worried about possible reprisals, you can just do a "recommended companies list" and make note that any company in the area NOT on this list is NOT recommended!

I agree!! Post a list of names. I too have been victimized by these so called ethical business-people,one of whom is an officer of the New England Livery Association.
    Perhaps these men and women who operate under the guise of a professional limousine operator would have more sense than to cheat a fellow operator out of his money if they knew their name would be broadcast WEB-WIDE.
    Or would they?
    Reprisals? How much trouble can you get into when you tell the truth. My feelings on the much needed but entirely self served largest livery association in the country (NELA) better left for another time and/or forum.

Yes, but the question is, how do we determine FACT from FICTION? Posting truths can't be litigated, but posting falsehoods or half-truths could place us (the administrator) at a risk. We know we would post the truth, but what about others? Or "deadbeat" companies who retaliate as well? As you know, there are always two sides to a story.

We haven't abandoned this idea and agree the posting unethical companies WEBWIDE would be a great service to the industry, as well as the consumer.

Question is...HOW?

[This message has been edited by XENEFOX Media Corporation (edited 12-30-1999).]

Please don't abandon this idea, it;s much too
    important,even to the extent that it could save a small operator from going under, because his cash flow non existent thanks to these operators who take advantage of them. I don't have the answer but I will try to find a solution. ( How about some help ? )
    The Boston Police dept. lists names of John's that they arrest for soliciting prostitutes and publishes them in the Boston newapapers as a deterrent.
    Perhaps our administator could ask for a copy of the actual invoice or bill that was given to the offending company by the accuser as proof that the administrator had cause to publish the names WebWide ??

Could we have Local Association Presidents submit a list of company names to Limosines OnLine to provide valitity, following a meeting or series of meetings with local operators? I know that our President is well aware of illegal companies as well as some of the seriouly unethical ones, After receving such a list the adminisrator can band using any of these companys from advertising here!! Then again most of the non paying illegal operators I know of aren't smart enough to advertise here anyway! But I'm sure we'll catch a few! None paying operators have no excuse and no place in the Industry this is and industry of/for dedicated proffesionals, as I am one of the youngest and smallest operators in my area and if I can afford to pay up so can the rest. Just had to get that off my chest! The yellow pages just came out and there are a few illegals out there with large ads! One last thing I just concidered, you know, Illegals and Dishonest companies occupy Limousines that need to be on the market!!!

Know who you are dealing with. You won't get burnt if you don't allow yourself open the way you did.

I have to add my 2 cents here. I have competitors who seem to be totally legitimate on the surface however I see their vehicles operating with regular passenger plates on some of their cars. I understand the reason why they do this is to avoid the cost of limousine insurance. It makes it very difficult to compete with them when their operating costs are much less than mine. They can afford to buy newer vehicles and charge lower rates.
    The state doesn't seem to care about the public safety here and the liability involved in the event of an accident. I play by the rules and I fel everyone should.
    Thanx for reading this. I just felt the need to vent.

As a lawyer who owns a limousine service, let me have the final word on this idea - it's BAD. Most states allow a dead-beat to sue you if you publicly post such information except in a privileged forum, such as with a credit reporting agency. The tort is called "false light" and is akin to defamation, except you can be liable for holding someone in a false light even if what you are saying is true. There are numerous cases of merchants being sued and held liable for taping NSF checks on their store windows, or purchasing a list of bad debts in their window. Your thought to use the internet is even more egregious. We share your frustration, but caution should throttle this idea.

Yes we agree which is why we haven't resorted to this tact.

It is a shame as our Deadbeat List is rather long!

Thanks for the input.
    Michael

I'm curious as to how limos.com can have a deadbeat list when all leads are charged to a credit card, and everything else I have seen also is charged to a credit card. Am I missing something?

Ahh here is how it happens:

A member service receives a bill from us for say, $50.00. Upon drafting the credit card, the card is DECLINED. Their phone number is disconnected. Their email address is defunct. This company just disappears of the face of the planet.

Or in some instances, we can't collect the debt with the credit card they give us. In fact, 15% of our monthly credit card drafts result in an initial decline. Most of those are resolved after a few weeks, but a select few continue be non-processable and DECLINED. Despite efforts to collect and get valid credit cards, some companies choose to ignore our emails and phone calls ... suspending belief that "answering email is a smart business decision".

Other instances: We bill your credit card for $20 in lead charges. You fail to answer your email and blame us for your lack of success in our service and dispute the credit card charges. We've actually had some companies join our service for 2 months and end up disputing the charges claiming they never joined. Of course, we find out that they weren't answering their email anyhow and the full benefit of our service wasn't forthcoming.

Our service does not fail with due diligence-- limousine services can fail our service however. It is amazing how many inept and lazy limousine services come and go. The old mantra, "I don't have time to answer my email" -- well then Joe Limo Owner, you shouldn't be in business and should look for a 9-5 job. In fact, ignore the internet and you will be out of business.

Its E-BUSINESS or Out-of-Business.

Sorry about the tangent; we have found the Bad Debts are directly correlated to these inept services who can't perform satisfactory customer service on the internet. (Hence, our Internet Endorsement recognition)

Hope this answers your question!
    Michael

Michael -
    These aren't "deadbeats" you're talking about. These companies are plain "dead." The few who think they are still alive and trying to avoid paying a few bucks are the true "deadbeats."
    And would you be quiet about e-business! We don't want everyone to know how successful the net can be. We started our company less than a month after the white and yellow pages came out and won't be in a phone book for a bit yet due to lead times. We've got cars rolling like crazy using every internet network we could find, including limos.com, and agressive, targeted e-mail. Know how we get proms? We go to AOL, use the member directory, search for the name of high school, use address collection software to suck the names off the member directory, and send 'em e-mail with photos. Voila - prom business! Our e-mail to businesses is far more sophisticated and proprietary, so I won't talk about it. We've got seven cars rolling in a little less than a year and taking delivery of new limousines at rate of 2 per month. Don't tell us about e-business! We're trying to buy other limo companies as fast as we can find them before other people discover what's going on.

Michael,

What if you simply provided a site where registrants can post dead beats themselves? Have a permanent disclaimer in the heading that your corporation (XENEOFX)in no way confirms or warrants the information provided herein and that the poster is fully and solely responsible for the content of the posting?

First amendement ... you will just be providing the vehicle for others to express their own free speech..

Just a little something to make ya go "hhhhmmm"

[This message has been edited by Rick Gonzalez (edited 08-03-2000).]

That still would be somewhat dangerous and may subject me to some kind of litigation ... not sure ... James?