Thread: Rising Fuel costs, what to do?

I am just curious what everyone is doing about the rising fuel costs? Is anyone raising their base price, adding a fuel charge by the hour, adding a flat fuel fee, or nothing? I am seeing my fuel bills get larger and larger with the same amount of driving. I am just looking for ideas on how to compensate for it and what do you tell the clients? Thanks for your replies.

------------------
    Brandy Fuller
    Owner S.L.S.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Starlitelimo:
    I am just curious what everyone is doing about the rising fuel costs? Is anyone raising their base price, adding a fuel charge by the hour, adding a flat fuel fee, or nothing? I am seeing my fuel bills get larger and larger with the same amount of driving. I am just looking for ideas on how to compensate for it and what do you tell the clients? Thanks for your replies.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Add a dollar or two to all runs-this may help. Dean Schuler

I use Windex in all of my cars. Its much cheaper then gas and keeps your engine running super clean... LOL JUST KIDDING!!! actually I raised my prices $2 an hour, and that seemed to take the load off my wallet for now. If it gets any worse I'll just have my drivers hook a chain onto other cars on the freeway and coast them into the airport...

Thanks for your replies. We decided to add a $2.00 per hour fuel surcharge to our contracts and the clients so far seem to totally understand.

------------------
    Brandy Fuller
    Owner S.L.S.

Brandi,

Yes I think that sounds like a great solution -- when it is phrased "temporary" surcharge; I think customers feel that it isn't an attempt to use the fuel costs to raise prices.

I raised my rates $5 per hour on all hourly charters for new customers. As for airport runs, same thing except $5 per trip. Believe it or not most repeat customers don't mind the increase since usually their company is picking up the bill. My theory is, the are paying the same high price for gas that I am, so they don't feel your being mony hungry, just a realistic business owner.

Hi,
    You think you got it bad ? over here gas is $6 a gallon ( just in case you think I got it wrong, that is SIX dollars a gallon )
    Right now I am looking at alternative fuel vehicles like LPG ( $3 a gallon here) and at this point I would request some information from you guys out there, for some reason I can't get into Either Ford or GM's site to check out what they build and costings, you might just know whats available so please can anyone in the know either post the information or e-mail me.

Thanks all

Dam, you guys are funny.I really feel the crunch when 12 tractor trailers, running at 75$ an hr.(no $ increase in last 6 yrs)run right at 300 gal. in 4 days at $1.50,tires are $300 each, an in frame on a 3406c (CAT)is 15000.00 ,i'm gonna join the ranks!!!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alimo:
    Hi,
    You think you got it bad ? over here gas is $6 a gallon ( just in case you think I got it wrong, that is SIX dollars a gallon )
    Right now I am looking at alternative fuel vehicles like LPG ( $3 a gallon here) and at this point I would request some information from you guys out there, for some reason I can't get into Either Ford or GM's site to check out what they build and costings, you might just know whats available so please can anyone in the know either post the information or e-mail me.

Thanks all
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Basic information on the Ford Crown Victoria Natural Gas model is available at: http://www.fleet.ford.com/products_services/alternative_vehicles/nat ural_gas/crown_victoria.asp?vcode=100.

Information on vans by GMC/Chevrolet can be found at: http://www.generalmotors.com/automot...ess_savana.htm

[This message has been edited by Karl (edited 12-23-2000).]