View Poll Results: For those of you who offer sedan service what is you minimum airport transfer rate for service unde

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • $35.00

0 0%
  • $45.00

3 17.65%
  • $55.00

4 23.53%
  • $65.00

1 5.88%
  • more than $65.00

9 52.94%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sedan rates

6 cities, LA, Denver, Chicago, Atlanta, Newark, Dallas
    Sedan AP Transfer, 2 passengers
    Distance, 10 miles (approximately)
    26 price quotes received
    High quote - $55.00
    Low quote - $42.00
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Originally posted by TxLimoGuy:
    Get the same quotes from Empire, Carey and Dav-El for a valid comparison.
    What would make that valid? If a consumer picked up the yellow pages and looked under limo or AP service they'd be just 1 of many. In some large markets, 0 of many.

Originally posted by gunny:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TxLimoGuy:
    What would make that valid? If a consumer picked up the yellow pages and looked under limo or AP service they'd be just 1 of many. In some large markets, 0 of many. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gunny the movers and shakers of corporate american don't use the yellow pages. I am a firm believe of the yellow pages don't get me wrong but my best sedan work doesn't come from the yellow pages. I can promise you the major networks corporate business doesn't come from the yellow pages either. You know this brings to mind that there are really two different segments of the sedan business. The networks get business via referrals and live salespeople. They are selling corporate america a "peace of mind" experience. Mom and pop going through the yellow pages are looking for a "ride". Big difference.

Originally posted by Wade Randolph:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunny:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TxLimoGuy:
    What would make that valid? If a consumer picked up the yellow pages and looked under limo or AP service they'd be just 1 of many. In some large markets, 0 of many. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gunny the movers and shakers of corporate american don't use the yellow pages. I am a firm believe of the yellow pages don't get me wrong but my best sedan work doesn't come from the yellow pages. I can promise you the major networks corporate business doesn't come from the yellow pages either. You know this brings to mind that there are really two different segments of the sedan business. The networks get business via referrals and live salespeople. They are selling corporate america a "peace of mind" experience. Mom and pop going through the yellow pages are looking for a "ride". Big difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wade,
    The company I managed on LI had a portfolio of 250 corporates with no help from the Careys of the world including big blue, PB, Sasson, Este Lauder, Chase etc.. And correct, the CEOs didn't let their fingers do the walking. It's the secretaries fingers that do the walking. And their jobs are finding the boss reliable service at reasonable costs.

Tampa & Orlando reports 70-80% coming & going are "leisure travelers". That is a big difference from corporates. Me, I'm stuck in 99.9% leisure land.

So, when the few "corporate" providers start throwing heavy quotes, they must be reminded that a great deal of others are dealing with the real world of "no tax write off" transportation for the poor folk. Because I'd be willing to bet that if it came out of pockets and not the companies operating fund, many of those uppity suits would be jumping in a cab.

To reply to Tony: I got paid a flat $15.00 per run. four of these were corporate and had a flat tip of aproximatly $15.00 each. The one was a Corporate account but the tip was open. I got $60.00 because I was able to pick up the Client at a place we normally cannot pick up at.

This Company tells me I am an IC even though I know the way he has it set up will never pass with the IRS or the State of Michigan. I just let him have his fun for now by paying me and other "Employee's" as IC's. He will end up paying when they catch up with him. He in reality ended up paying out $135.00 in wages ( no tax, no comp. because he beleives he is an IC operator) so, for now, He did make a few Bucks on the deal.

Under Michigan Law, I was on duty 16.5 hours. I did have 2.5 hours of down time close to the Base but I had to make a car switch during that time so .5 hours will be charged to that. so basicly 14.5 hours on duty.

Federal minimum wage is $5.15 per hour X 14.5 hours = $74.67. I did make better than minimum wage, $135.00 plus $60.00 cash tip = $195.00 for the day or $13.44 per hour. Nothing to sneeze at, after all it is a lot better than no job at all.
    David E. Merrill

I viewed a Black Town Car today at my mechanic's shop that had a variety of maladies and dents everywhere-especially around the right rear door. I asked my mechanic who owned it so I would be sure to never book the company. He told me it was " an airport car" and gave me the company name. Definitely a sharecropper special. And yes, there was a week old newspaper in the back seat ! PS The airport rate for this car is $28.00 for one person.
    Dean Schuler

To get a valid INDUSTRY comparison you can not simply look at the bottom feeders/cut rate operators. You must get an average that includes that top echelon as well.

I personally don't compare our service or rates to the guy running one old towncar for a flat $45. It is a different business model.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunny:

What would make that valid? If a consumer picked up the yellow pages and looked under limo or AP service they'd be just 1 of many. In some large markets, 0 of many.
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Next time we run our little survey we'll make sure that Austin is included. Limos. or is it APServices.?

How in the hell do you know if the services that are on the site that these quotes were obtained from are bottom feeders? You do not have enough Time In to judge!

I know of services doing 40-50 mile runs (2-3 hrs driving) at $80-90 that I will stack against any Yuppy or Carey operation any day of the week. One even an LCT operator of the year. Do we call him a bottom feeder? And when he won that in 03 he was getting about $70. for the 40-50 mile hike. Takes more than reading books, new vehicles and high prices to run a class operation.

Gunny, it IS possible to have a discussion here without insults.

Time-in is irrelevent when you talk with wise industry longtimers on a regular basis.

We ALL know services that charge $80 for a 3 horu drive. But how long will they last?

Last time I checked most legit companies in Austin charge $75-$85 for a 20 minute AP xfer from AUS to downtown. There are a few bottome feeders for $45. I have seen rates over $100 for the same transfer. We charge $77.50.

A 50 minute ride (ie to New Braunfels or Driftwood) will cost you $140. Any other questions?

Hope that saved you some phone calls.
    When you group operators pricing in heavily competitive markets as "bottom feeders" without knowing who they are or what type of operations they are running, it is an insult to the industry.

One charging $90. for runs that last 2-3 hours depending on Long Island Traffic not Austin has been in business feeding 10 drivers for over 20 years. As one who busted his ass for 7 years helping run the show that eventually earned that LCT Award, I am insulted that because the market demands a price below what could be garnered in Austin is labeled a "bottom feeder". So who insulted who?

The problem with individuals on this site, they have no clue outside their own borders.

This is not rocket science. Everyone here knows approximately what it costs to run an operation. Borders are irrelevent.

Your anecdotal comparisions without data on the subject companies are interesting but a bit pointless. For example, running with ICs or flat rate pay can sway the data and such pricing is often to the detriment of the chauffeur as many friends here continually remind us. Yes the company survives, but at whose expense? Just an example, not saying that was the case with yours. But how can we compare if we don't know all the details?
    Will not name the site or who performed the survey of requesting quotes. Will say similar to limos.com.

I went on the web & pulled hotel zips that are located approximately 10 miles from the APs of the cities I posted.
    Received 26 quotes with the high of $55.00 (LA) and a low of $40.00 (Denver). I think that LA, Denver, Chicago, Atlanta, Newark & Dallas is a good cross section example of larger major metro areas.

Are these 26 companies bottom feeding scums? Who knows, the response quotes were very professional with many offering 04/05 TCs . I will not pass that judgement nor should anyone else.

At least unless one is man enough to look at one in the eye and say it.

Gunny, Were those prices inclusive or +++ ? Perhaps they are representative prices for the sake of debate. There is a % of clients that pay much more in every market and these clients cannot be marketed by price. I share this by long experience. In my small market, most don't play "livery". The markets you mentioned have numerous good livery operators. Just an observation...
    Dean Schuler

Originally posted by Dean Schuler:
    Gunny, Were those prices inclusive or +++ ? Perhaps they are representative prices for the sake of debate. There is a % of clients that pay much more in every market and these clients cannot be marketed by price. I share this by long experience. In my small market, most don't play "livery". The markets you mentioned have numerous good livery operators. Just an observation...
    Prices listed are base.

Basic economic theory. There are suppliers willing to provide a service or product all the way up and down the price line. Some will supply their service below their own internal breakeven point but they are eventually doomed to failure.

I would guess many in the industry have no idea what their breakeven point on a run is, much less how to caluclate it. Others know exactly what it is and shift the cost burden to a less educated independent contractor in order to keep their price low.

The market does not demand a certain price! Prices exist on an infinite curve. Suppliers get to choose at what point on the price curve they will provide a service or product as each customer get to choose at what point on the price line they are willing to pay for the service. Some will pay more than others.

We each get to choose at what point on that curve we will supply our service or product. Choose wisely. Are you above breakeven?

Gunny's source Denver Quote: $40
    Empire: $143
    Carey: $143

Each chose their point on the curve. Wonder who takes more home?
    And what does it cost that franchised operator to get that $143. job? And how many 10 mile 30 min $143 jobs is that operator doing each day or week for that matter? How many local calls from own advertising does he/she charge $143.? How many non-Carey referred per week booked at the local market price?

It wasn't Gunny's source as I did not specifically search for the lowest bid as you searched for the highest. My source is just a random sampling across the nation (whoever reponded with quotes). A Carey franchisee could of responded and maybe even did and the pricing would of changed. Bottom line is one could hit 20 metro areas throw out the high and low and I'll bet the pricing would not budge significantly.

There are small operators a few years in business making a living off farmouts & running 3-4 year old sedans running a classier act than big pocketed operators with high overhead. Most success stories didn't start out of the gates with brand new fleets but of more humble beginnings.

with empire or carey, what you really should do is call up and ask what they charge for large corporate accounts. try...
    Empire - Exxon
    Carey - FedEx

In the larger city markets are the bigger discounts.
    They suddenly wont seem so "high-end"

And empire is a Jersey company at heart... and 90 percent of there work is done there.. When you hear Jersey company, its "black car" rates.
    I heard in atlanta they have 3 cars...

At carey you will be lucky to get the same rate twice... everything is so unorganized there... One franchise has no idea what the other is doing...

Originally posted by gunny:
    Basic economic theory. There are suppliers willing to provide a service or product all the way up and down the price line. Some will supply their service below their own internal breakeven point but they are eventually doomed to failure.

I would guess many in the industry have no idea what their breakeven point on a run is, much less how to caluclate it. Others know exactly what it is and shift the cost burden to a less educated independent contractor in order to keep their price low.

The market does not demand a certain price! Prices exist on an infinite curve. Suppliers get to choose at what point on the price curve they will provide a service or product as each customer get to choose at what point on the price line they are willing to pay for the service. Some will pay more than others.

We each get to choose at what point on that curve we will supply our service or product. Choose wisely. Are you above breakeven?

Gunny's source Denver Quote: $40
    Empire: $143
    Carey: $143

Each chose their point on the curve. Wonder who takes more home?
    And what does it cost that franchised operator to get that $143. job? And how many 10 mile 30 min $143 jobs is that operator doing each day or week for that matter? How many local calls from own advertising does he/she charge $143.? How many non-Carey referred per week booked at the local market price?

It wasn't Gunny's source as I did not specifically search for the lowest bid as you searched for the highest. My source is just a random sampling across the nation (whoever reponded with quotes). A Carey franchisee could of responded and maybe even did and the pricing would of changed. Bottom line is one could hit 20 metro areas throw out the high and low and I'll bet the pricing would not budge significantly.

There are small operators a few years in business making a living off farmouts & running 3-4 year old sedans running a classier act than big pocketed operators with high overhead. Most success stories didn't start out of the gates with brand new fleets but of more humble beginnings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This answer reminds me of why I'm in the Luxury Limousine Service and not a shuttle company or a people mover service.

Gunny, As long as the car looks as good as it CAN and the CHAUFFEUR provides impeccable service you are in business. Beater Cars and "drivers" are sharecropper specials....
    Dean Schuler