Thread: Legal Question--HELP!!

I am leasing my vehicle ('96). Went to have a front-end alignment and was informed and shown that there were stress fractures and would need to have them fixed. Was sent to a frame shop and was told that the car had been in a previous accident. The frame is still bent where the left front lower control arm mounts. It was welded on and still has a crack in the brace. The left front wheel is back about 1-1/2". Was told the car could be deemed unsafe as it is used for public passenger transport. I was not told of this. What type of recourse do I have with the leasing company? I had the Body (Frame) Shop document this on letterhead. Can someone give me advice, please???

Unless the leasing company was in some way the seller of the vehicle, you likely have no recourse. The leasing company is merely a financing agency. This answer would be less correct if the leasing company had title to the vehicle from a prior owner and was something more than a financing vehicle.

I have a copy of the Certificate of Title when I was changing it over to my company's name and the Leasing Company's name is on as the Owner. What do I do now?

Was the vehicle new or used when you leased it from the company? If you leased it used then the dealer who supplied the vehcile, I would think, you could go after them. If new then go after the coachbuilder? Good luck.

Interesting to see what developes. Something else you may want to try: call your local newspaper or local TV news station and ask if they have a consumer affairs editor/reporter. Sometimes even if it has only lukewarm appeal as a human interest story or newspiece, they may be able to help you navigate through possibles avenues short of providing legal advice.

Karl

Well, the vehicle was leased used. I just found out (approx. 4 hrs. ago) that the company filed for bankruptcy. I picked up the vehicle in Florida (Jan. 2000). As a matter of fact, the company is one that is advertised in LCT Mag. I contacted the Attorney General's Office here and they referred me to the FL AGO which in turned sent me to the DMV. They said I need to write them a letter and they will see what they can do. Since the company filed bankruptcy, they say the hands may be tied. If they can or can not help, they will notify me. So I guess, at this point, I am F+#%$!!. Excuse the vernacular. I guess I will just go in a corner and cry :-((((((. The car is driveable and I only had it checked as maintenance and because it was pulling a little to the left. If I were to call a TV station, what effect would it have when I am here and they are there? I am open to any advice given. Thanks.