Thread: '99 hyundai accent

I have a '99 hyundai accent that we bought brand new but since that was our first car and we didn't know anything about cars at the time, we never did anything to it other than the regular-scheduled maintenance. So, now, 7 years later, the transmission is not working. The car moves forward but not in reverse.

What can I do? I've been told that I have to replace the transmission but I'd rather not do that if I don't have to as that's really costly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Your best bet would be taking it to a Hyndai dealer.....call me crazy , but that's where I would start.

Oh yeah , this is a limo forum. You may want to check into a Hyundai tranny forum , there must be hundreds out there.

Originally posted by yusi_pierre:
    I have a '99 hyundai accent that we bought brand new but since that was our first car and we didn't know anything about cars at the time, we never did anything to it other than the regular-scheduled maintenance. So, now, 7 years later, the transmission is not working. The car moves forward but not in reverse.

What can I do? I've been told that I have to replace the transmission but I'd rather not do that if I don't have to as that's really costly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Thats why used car dealers call them the "disposable" cars.

Throw it away, get a new car, count your blessings your quarter didnt get stuck in the machine when you bought it.

(and thats coming from a previous hyundai excel owner back in '92!!!)

Hyundai dealer should be your first stop, get an assesment of the problem and a quote for a repair. If it is the trans you have a number of choices, find a cheap shop to do it, go to a breakers yard get the bits you need and do it yourself, sell the car off cheap without repairing it and go buy another car. ( not the same one !)These are your alternatives. To all our normal posters, this guy may be a beginner so a bit of help never costs much time.