Thread: 97 front end on a 94?

how difficult would it be to swap a 95-97 Town car front end (grill, lights etc) to a 94 town car?

I have a 92 Town Car Limo with 97 Front and Rear bumpers, Grill, Headlights and Marker Lights. The car looks like a 97 except for the double chrome strips on the mouldings. They went to single strips in 95. I have the single strips on the bumpers. Wheels also changed. The 95-97's also have lights between the tail lights.

I thought about doing the same thing, but wondered how the side marker lights would fit into the fenders, the 90-94's had bigger holes?? didn't they. Did you do body work, or do they really slide right in ???

the "bigger hole" problem is what I thought would prevent me from doing the same thing. Perhaps Acclaim can provide some more details. I think the rear light panel could be swapped too. Perhaps some photos?

Okay, I investigated further this morning. The fenders are the same. The hole is the same. Its just the the newer smaller headlights sit higher up in the opening and the bumper cap fills the extra space at the bottom. The bumper cap comes up about 1" higher. So basically you'd need a new bumper cap, a pair of headlamps with integeral side marker lights, new grill and new grill opening panel. I wonder what all this would cost. Perhaps I should be looking for a parts car from a seriouly rearended vehicle or rolled vehicle.

Okay, I've added it up based on the prices listed at Uptown Parts Warehouse online. See:
    http://www.lincolnparts.com/bodylens.htm

The only thing that crosses over is the hood ornamnet. Grand total, $1075.29. Not cheap, but a lot cheaper than a new car!

As for the rear, I haven't studied the cars to determine feasiblilty, but total cost would be $564.41, that's 371.91 for the bumper cover and 192.50 for the rear reflector panel.

Finally, I guess you could repalce all of the body side molding too, thought I have no idea what that'd cost.

As someone in the process of making the "swap" I'll tell you that the front requires a new header panel which requires paint. As for the body molding being different, I guarantee you'll be the only one that notices that. The rear swap, you can get away with not chabging the bumper cover. The rear reflector panel bolts right up and the tailights are only three bolts. There is a slight change in the tailights from the 94 model, however if you try to purchase a 94 light replacement from a Lincoln dealer, you'll find that they'll give you a 95-97 part. Seems they're not making the 94 part any longer. I wouldn't worry about lighting they rear reflector panel, that was only factory lite in 95-96. The 97 model didn't lite up. Good luck it's worth the change. Oh, the mirror on the 95-97 are the car color not chrome like the 94. Not a big deal. :!)

I recently saw a 1994 Stretch with a 2000 conversion and I must admit it looked better than the original 2000 model.I saw this kit advertised in a Used Limousine Newspaper which I think is only available in the States.I guess if you can get the right people to do the conversion it would be worth the money.

How much did that cost? I wouldn't think that would be possible because the differences in body style.

I would love to see pictures of it if possible.

Here is a vote against it. Not cost effective in my opinion. But then I admit I have a very biased opinion towards vehicles as they were built. Like people who drive 1978 Porsche 911's getting them "upgraded" to a 1994 Porsche Carrera. Uh huh, right.

And I beg to differ regarding the side moulding: should the modified car be parked near the real thing, believe me the difference will jump right off the car. The sleekness of the 95-97 will give it away in a flash and you'll see whay they revised those awful moulding in the first place in '95.

Now it may not be widespread, but a lot of the people that ride in these cars do notice things. Certain things tell of "old technology" like vented windows in the rear doors, the flat dashboard with analog/linear speedometer, mechanical AC/Heat controls, an abundance of "chrome" on the dashboard, and cloth headliners instead of velour, and carpeted package trays as opposed to particleboard.

Karl

[This message has been edited by Karl (edited 08-28-2000).]

To Karl: most people aren't going to notice the things you've mentioned. They'd have to be Lincoln enthusisasts to notice or care. As far as the dash is concerned, raise the divider and no one will ever know which dash you've got up there. People will however notice the front end when it pulls up.

As for "branalealimo" there is no possibility of converting from a 90-97 to a 1998+ . Different sheet metal. Different fixed points.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by goingglobal:
    To Karl: most people aren't going to notice the things you've mentioned. They'd have to be Lincoln enthusisasts to notice or care. As far as the dash is concerned, raise the divider and no one will ever know which dash you've got up there. People will however notice the front end when it pulls up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd be surprised what people notice when they are paying for it, irrespective as to whether they are enthusiasts or not. Especially with so many people hearing "new cars" "new cars" from every other operator

And I maintain that side moulding will stand out so badly, Ray Charles would notice it. But hey, whatever lights your rocket. Good luck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

As for "branalealimo" there is no possibility of converting from a 90-97 to a 1998+ . Different sheet metal. Different fixed points.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, there was a firm that I believe had advertised a kit which grafted a '98-00 STYLE rear cap and front clip. Note, these were NOT actual Lincoln components. The last ad I recall was within the last few months. I think it was probably in Limousine & Livery Trader since I doubt such a rip off job would make the pages of LCT or even Limousine Digest. Michael, if you check back a few editions of L&LT you may see the ad. It looks actually much like a 98-00 with a somewhat more "presidential" roofline. As a fleet expense item, though it becomes less attractive. Unfortunately, I can't recall the name, or if it is one of those companies that do the Excalibur-like conversion on later '80 and early 90's era Town Cars.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by goingglobal:
    To Karl: most people aren't going to notice the things you've mentioned. They'd have to be Lincoln enthusisasts to notice or care. As far as the dash is concerned, raise the divider and no one will ever know which dash you've got up there. People will however notice the front end when it pulls up.
    EXCUSE ME!!!!
    I know what I saw and I remember now where I saw the Advertisment,it was in The Limousine
    Trader paper I picked up at the Limo Show in
    Vegas in February,Page 36 I believe.So get a hold of the Jauary or February edition then tell me I talking BULL.I`ll say it again,the 94 I saw with the conversion looked great,not like an oversized suppository(2000 model)The new model Lincolns look like S--T.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by bramalealimo (edited 08-28-2000).]

I have located the Paper with the Ad for the conversion kit,it`s "The Dealers National Limousine Exchange" January 2000 edition.Call Tony at 1-800-480-3001 for more Info.