Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wanted: Burnt-out Coach/Opera Lights - LED Only...

Senior Member Limo Padawan

OK. So I got busy last night and forgot to get the photos done. It's 5:00am and I sit bolt-upright in bed, run to the closet, grab some clothes, snag the camera from the computer desk and rush outside before the sun comes up.

Results attached:

The light on the left is the standard incandescent fuse bulb and the one on the right has the White LED's in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Martin
    Night Out Limousine
    Hollister, CA

In this picture the one on the left has the standard incandescents and the one on the right has the Blue LED's in it. (They are actually much 'bluer' than they look here).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Martin
    Night Out Limousine
    Hollister, CA

Summary:
    These LED's, although a bit pricy in my opinion are WELL worth the upgrade. The intensity of the light is superb, the ease of installation is ideal, and the end result is awesome.

The only concerns I would have are as follows:

1. If your fixtures are old and have not been opened in a while, then the thin rubber gasket material between the lens and the backing plate may want to stick and it could get damaged in the process, so watch it carefully and take it slow.

2. If your white plastic lenses have become yellowed over time, you might choose to replace them as well. Mine were the originals from 2001 and although they appeared yellow, it was mostly from the weak incandescent fuse bulbs inside. When I installed the LED's the lenses came back to life and look better than ever. Obviously when the lights are off, there will be no change in the lens appearance. I did upgrade to new bezels last year, but that was because the chrome was peeling off.

3. I do not know about the longevity or lifespan of these particular LED's, but if they are like any standard LED in the market today, I now expect them to outlast the car. If I were a technical guy, I could do the math and tell you all how much additional battery drain the old incandescents had vs. the new LED's, but I'll let someone with more time (and a calculator) on their hands do that.

In conclusion, my wife told me that once we are through prom season, I can buy enough LED bulbs to upgrade all of the lights. OOOOoooo... I can't wait. In fact, maybe I'll spend my George Bush, too-little / too-late, next generation's problem, last-ditch effort, lame-duck republican stimulus money on them (it arrived as an automatic deposit last night).

HaHAHAHAhahahahahaaaaaa ugh... Good luck all.
    Jim Martin
    Night Out Limousine
    Hollister, CA

Blog Entries

Nice job Jim !! Thanks for getting up before the sun rise to satisfy our curiosity.

I like the blue ones best but I wonder if the cops would like them or not, might be best for people to go with the super-white lights instead.

Looks awesome !!

Blog Entries

Nice Jim

Can't wait for mine to come in the mail.

I had a bus inspection done on a few of my big rigs and I installed blue bulbs on the Hummer H2. The daytime running lights below the grill. They did mentioned that they did not like blue lights on there although it glows super white. But in the daytime, they are blue. They don't want to see any blues.

Originally posted by Digger:
    I like the blue ones best but I wonder if the cops would like them or not, might be best for people to go with the super-white lights instead.
    Hey, aren't you the guy with 31 flavors of Cummerbunds? Maybe you could have a selection of LED colors to match the requested attire.

Seriously, there is no way I would try blue here in California. Besides, everyone here is trying too hard to be green.
    Jim Martin
    Night Out Limousine
    Hollister, CA

I ordered 34 (3 I have, 33 more I need and one spare) bulbs today, he gave me free shipping and a whopping 1.5% discount. Oh well, that's the problem with 'single source'.

They should look great.
    Jim Martin
    Night Out Limousine
    Hollister, CA

OK, last post in this thread. Just an update, I installed all 36 LED's this weekend. WOW. What a difference. It really changed the look of the car. No more dim, yellowed, wimpy opera lights.

Once again, a highly recommended upgrade!
    Jim Martin
    Night Out Limousine
    Hollister, CA