Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Burnt-out Coach/Opera Lights - LED Only...

Blog Entries

I am in the process of replacing 21 of the 30 coach lights burnt-out on the H2 Hummer. I think I have found a way to rebuild these at a fraction of the cost but would like some test pieces. If you have a batch of old LED style coach lights sitting in a box in the corner, I'd be interested in purchasing them.

If I do discover a way to rebuild them I will post the process. I know I will totally ruin the ones I have figuring it all out, that's why I'm looking for more to test on.

Ya I always wondered about my LED coach lights burning out, I thought they were supposted to last so much longer like 5-10 years or some crap and they never do!
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities in between - over 15,000+ customers and counting!

Senior Member Limo Padawan

If someone would come out with an LED 'fuse' bulb, you know, an LED bulb that would snap into the old fuse style lights... now THAT would be great. Better, crisper, cleaner light without having to change the fixture at all!

I'd buy a case of those bulbs.
    Jim Martin
    Night Out Limousine
    Hollister, CA

Blog Entries

They DO have LED fuse bulbs, but they are pricey. Go to Ebay and search for "LED fuse bulb" and you will find them listed... but be sitting down when you look at the price (since we need like 70+ of them for a full car).

As for them not lasting, I think I've figured out the answer to that... silicon !! The ones I removed had no silicon on the actual LED bulb legs but the new ones do. The reason they burnt was because the legs rusted away, the water goes right across them. If you start seeing rust streaks under your LED lights, the legs are already on their way out.

Before installing any new lights you should check for this and add a dab if there isn't any. I'm guessing that the originals on the H2 were first generation, then they figured out the problem and added the silicon.

Hey Digger- I use the website www.1000bulbs.com a good amount. You may find something useable there.

Originally posted by Digger:
    They DO have LED fuse bulbs, but they are pricey. Go to Ebay and search for "LED fuse bulb" and you will find them listed... but be sitting down when you look at the price (since we need like 70+ of them for a full car).

As for them not lasting, I think I've figured out the answer to that... silicon !! The ones I removed had no silicon on the actual LED bulb legs but the new ones do. The reason they burnt was because the legs rusted away, the water goes right across them. If you start seeing rust streaks under your LED lights, the legs are already on their way out.

Before installing any new lights you should check for this and add a dab if there isn't any. I'm guessing that the originals on the H2 were first generation, then they figured out the problem and added the silicon.
    That is one of the reasons I prefer and run Executives. The coach lights are behind the long window glass. Fewer leaks and the problem you noted is avoided.

EXCELLENT! Found them on eBay and you're right $2.50 a piece is rediculous. I'm doing some research right now for a quantity price or a better source. I'll keep everyone posted. Personally I think these would be awesome, just swap the bulbs and reduce your electrical load by, well, loads! Not to mention you don't have to change any wiring or anything (although I may get new lenses, the old ones are a bit yellowed). I only need 36 for my 120 and my other car already has the LED fixtures on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Martin
    Night Out Limousine
    Hollister, CA

Blog Entries

Will these fit right into the socket?

Originally posted by Jim30:
    Will these fit right into the socket?
    Based on the attached photo, they should 'pop' right in. I'm really excited about this. I've been waiting for these for a long time. If I can strike a real quantity deal, I'll buy a bunch and make them available to everyone. I'm still workin' on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Martin
    Night Out Limousine
    Hollister, CA

Anybody know exactly how much LED lights reduce power compared to regular lights?

Also I'm curious about HID lights compared to regular headlights?
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities in between - over 15,000+ customers and counting!

Originally posted by First Class Limos:
    Anybody know exactly how much LED lights reduce power compared to regular lights?
    As I understand it, the regular 'fuse' bulbs are only actually 1-1/2 watts each, so the actual savings on amps there is not dramatic (although when you have 36, 48, 60 lights etc... it can add up).

What should be substantial though is the amount of light produced by these LED's, especially with 3 lights in each bulb! I am expecting them to by bright, crisp and very white, compared to the dull yellow glow of a filiment bulb.
    Jim Martin
    Night Out Limousine
    Hollister, CA

Blog Entries

Originally posted by NightOut:

Based on the attached photo, they should 'pop' right in. I'm really excited about this. I've been waiting for these for a long time. If I can strike a real quantity deal, I'll buy a bunch and make them available to everyone. I'm still workin' on it.
    Jim,

Keep me posted. I would need at least 50 or so for my 180 - guess I will count tomorrow.

I am definately "in" if you do a bulk purchase. I can Paypal you money if needed. Post me a PM or email me privately. My email is in my profile. Seller is in Hong Kong it looks like (the one on eBay).

Thx
    Jim

I want to add to your suggestion Digger for those that don't know what type of silicon you are speaking of.

Digger is talking about dielectric grease and not a RTV type silicon that vulcanizes. It prevents corrosion at electrical connections. ON heavy-duty connections (batteries, etc.) axle grease is best used for its resistance to changes in temperature.

The 'Hong-Kong' (eBay) connection offered me only free shipping on my request for a price for 40 of them. 100 of them would still ship in the same ENVELOPE!!!!! So free shipping was an insult, and $2.50 a piece is rediculous. I will keep looking, if I can get to the true source and I can purchase a couple of hundred, I'll let everyone know, here.

I am however going to 'spring' for a sample ($2.50 + $1.99 shipping) just to make sure I am happy with them. The 'sample' may also have some identifying marks that will lead me to the source.

Again, I'll report back here soon.

Update: I just ordered 3 white and 3 'spark blue' and will install them and take photo's when they arrive.
    Jim Martin
    Night Out Limousine
    Hollister, CA

Got the LED Fuse Bulbs today. No markings on them whatsoever. Still looking for a cheaper source. This Friday, I will install them side-by-side with an identical incandescent fixture and post pictures here for comparison.
    Jim Martin
    Night Out Limousine
    Hollister, CA