Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Rear end vibration

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Insurance King View Post
    http://www.republicdiesel.com/

These are the best drive-train people around! When I was a diesel mechanic for a franchise dealer, we would routinely send odd drive-line issues to them. They have a location in Ohio as well.

This most likely is not the problem since many are experiencing it, but what about the wheels and tires? Have they been ruled out as possible troublemakers? Broken belt, rim that is bent on the interior, etc.?
    Last year when we bought ours the trans guy had it on the rack so you could see the shafts vibrating - wheels off the ground. Nice thinking though! Talked to Powertrain Driveline in Missouri a month ago to ask about balancing the shafts (which they said the shafts have to be balanced as one) and they claim that the rubbers getting ripped are absolutely from the rearend/shaft not being connected at "zero".
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Drove 11 miles from trans shop to home - no vibration. I am going to drive it to my full time job tomorrow (and back) to make sure everything is kosher, but I think we have it. Here is what we did:

Shimmed the rearend so the rearend and last driveshaft "meet" at Zero. Changed the front and rear rubber vibration dampner and nose bushings. Changed out all the U-Joints and carrier bearings. Balanced all shafts.

I truly believe the cause of the rubbers ripping is from the rearend not pitched to match the driveshaft - the rearend does not have to be level, but it does have to meet the driveshaft at zero or the rubber will not work right. Once the rubber starts to get ripped (this will start to happen immeditely, ours was ripped after 1K miles of replacing it) the nose bushings, U-Joints, and carrier bearings will start to take the abuse too. The pitch is the cause of the problem, everything else is the aftermath.

Good luck all, we will continue to watch the rubbers, but it's smooth riding now - here's to crossed fingers!
    Rich Rottier

Does anyone have the part # for the nose bushing that goes on the rear-end side of the driveshaft for '06 Chrysler 300? If you could email me it at info@cedarlimo.com would be great (I have been trying to stay away from this forum b/c of the virus warnings. Thank you!
    Rich Rottier