Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear end vibration

One of my '97 120" Tiffany/NCE has developed a vibration starting at about 38 MPH to around 55 MPH. My Mechanic has inspected the Drive shaft and all the U joints and support bearings seem to be fine. He seems to feel it is coming from the rear end. Can any one offer any input.

The car has 144 K miles on it. It has drum brakes so I assume it is the Ford 9" truck Rear end, am I correct? We were just thinking of getting a Junk Yard Rear end and sticking it in there, these truck rear ends should be plentiful don't you think?
    David E. Merrill

Mr. Merril, we had a 95 Krystal and we had to replace the wheel bearings. Is this a possibility? And I assume all your shocks are good?

Senior Member Limo Padawan

David,
    I have the same issue with our 1997 U.S. coach 120. We have replaced the carrier bearing and inspected the driveline with no visable bad parts. I suspected the rearend also, I am pretty sure that it has a truck rear end, but the suspension is different from whats in the limo.
    I had considered to get a rear end from a yard also but the mounts are different. It might make more sense to have it rebuilt by a shop.

Have you ever changed the rear shocks before ? At that mileage they should have been chaged before now.If possible find a shop that has a rolling road to test the rear while its running.

Had this exact thing happening on a 1995 Lincoln Town car 120, tried everything. New tires, brakes, hanger bearings, planeing the drive shaft. Finally found that it had a missing tooth in the rear differential gear. Vibrated starting at 31-50 mph.

Have the cover taken off the rear pumpkin and have it checked. This may also happen if the rear end is low on fluid.

I understand when they stretch these cars, they don't put anything more "Heavy Duty" in them. Look at all the weight they pull sometimes!

My mechanic found it after I'd been to 3 shops and paid a lot of $ in "diognostic- trouble shooting" fees. Go to someone you trust!

Thanks Guys: My Guy is getting into it today. I will keep you posted. Now this is a good example of how this exchange of information SHOULD work. Thanks
    David E. Merrill

Bringing this thread back from the dead. I have this problem on a 2006 chrysler 300 made by..... Great Lakes. Did it turn out to be the rear end? We have balanced all the drive shafts, replaced the U joints, replaced the axels. We disconnected the rear end with it on jack stands and it still vibrates, which would make me think its not the rear end but could it still be?
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities in between - over 15,000+ customers and counting!

I just noticed David Merrill hasnt posted since 2008. Does anybody know what company he runs or his phone number or email address so I can ask him directly what the problem was? I believe I have the exact same drive train vibration thats about from 30mph to 65mph. Anybody else had this problem or know what it is?

We have balanced all the drive shafts, replaced the U joints, replaced the axels, we swapped out the rear end with another one and it still does it. Carrier bearing?
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities in between - over 15,000+ customers and counting!

Sounds like your rear end but I would not be surprised if its actually coming from the front of the limo where the shaft meets the back of the tranny. You should have a rubber plate there and its possible its damaged/worn or maybe a nut is missing or loose. That plate needs to fit pretty much prefectly flush with the back of the tranny.

Also, another thing you might try if it wasnt done on your 300 is lowering the rear diff using some washers. FOr a lot of builders, in trying to make sure your limousine has passable straight body lines, the rear end angle is tweaked downwards a couple degrees. My driveshaft supplier used to advise lowering that rear diff by putting some spacer washers between where the diff bolts on to the rear.

I say used to advise because I have gone from using U-joints to using CV joints and eliminated any driveliine vibe. A lot more expensive and a lot harder to get done, but since I only really build 300's for overseas they expect to not have any driveline vibe at all. CV joints basically eliminate any driveline vibe you might get from awkward mounting angles in the driveshafts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle View Post
    Sounds like your rear end but I would not be surprised if its actually coming from the front of the limo where the shaft meets the back of the tranny. You should have a rubber plate there and its possible its damaged/worn or maybe a nut is missing or loose. That plate needs to fit pretty much prefectly flush with the back of the tranny.

Also, another thing you might try if it wasnt done on your 300 is lowering the rear diff using some washers. FOr a lot of builders, in trying to make sure your limousine has passable straight body lines, the rear end angle is tweaked downwards a couple degrees. My driveshaft supplier used to advise lowering that rear diff by putting some spacer washers between where the diff bolts on to the rear.

I say used to advise because I have gone from using U-joints to using CV joints and eliminated any driveliine vibe. A lot more expensive and a lot harder to get done, but since I only really build 300's for overseas they expect to not have any driveline vibe at all. CV joints basically eliminate any driveline vibe you might get from awkward mounting angles in the driveshafts.

Thanks its definately not the rear end as we put a new one in and it still did the same thing. I'll have the guys check on the other stuff.

Member Limo Padawan

You can add shims to the carrier bearings as well to fix a possible vibration issue. When did it start doing it?
    It is what it is!!

It started doing this about a month ago, the car is about 3 years old.

Member Limo Padawan

While on stands did you disconnect the driveshafts as well? even though you may have had the shafts balanced seperately, they may need to be phased to work together. You would think that if each are balanced then they should be right..not the case. Disconnect one shaft at a time and I'm sure you'll find the culprit.
    It is what it is!!

Yes we have completely disconnected all the shafts while on stands. With 0 driveshafts on there it doesnt vibrate. When you connect 1 , 2 , or 3 driveshafts it vibrates. It vibrates with only 1 connected. Thanks for your help guys this has been a thorn in our side.

Default Dave Merrill

First Class Dave Merrill now posts under the name Earl Metcalf.