Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Limo Software

Would it be possible for everyone to give suggestions about what features that would be good for limo software? Features like being able to email reservations to having enough space to input client in formation/preferences. I will be shoping for software at the show in Atlantic city, but I dont know what to look for.

Secured some of the things mentioned are just small pet peeves of some operators and some are must have's for any limo business. It is really true that what might be perfect for someone will not fit you at all. That's why you really have to try these out in your everyday business.

But just to give you an idea I will list out some major areas of software that you should be concentrating on.

Reservations - all major software packages will include some way to keep track of your jobs. What you really will be looking for here is if the interface to inputing those reservations and organizing the information fits in with the type of business you are running. Example would be if you take multiple reservations a day and you input them right into the computer does the program let you do that efficiently, in other words can you input a reservation without having to switch to different windows and screens , switch back and forth between the mouse and the keyboard. If you only require the customers name, address, pu time, and rate to be inputted do you have a system that you have to go through 14 other fields of information that are not relevant to your business? And if so can you customize the program to only do the field you need?

Same with organization if you want to look at your daily work to assign your drivers are you looking at a screen with irrelevant information you do not need to make your decision and if so can you customize that screen to only give you want you need in the order and way you want to see it? Or vice versa are the screens not capable of giving you all the information you need?

Accounting - Will the software take your gross sales and expenses and either directly export those figures into an integrated accounting package or a commercial accounting package. Or if they do not do that will they give you a report that you would be able to use to do that or to hand over to an accountant. Can you run every aspect of your business trough the software? Meaning will it show you accounts payable as well as accounts receivable. Will it keep track of what you owe your farm out companies as well as what they owe you (commissions)

Reporting - Similar to accounting above but a wider range than just financial transaction. Will it give you a breakdown of trips per vehicle, tripe per driver, revenue per vehicle, revenue per driver, trips per day, expenses per category, Income per category. Not only will these items give you a better picture of your business it will aid you in making decisions along the way.

Communication - I think a good software package should allow you to communicate with all the people involved in your business. So we have talked about sending emails to client well take it even further.
    Email, fax, or text message to clients, drivers, vendors(farm out companies) sending trip sheets, invoices, confirmations, contracts, credit card authorizations, etc.. Even further does the format that your database is in allow for marketing communications to be done with standard software? Meaning can you extract a mailing list of your customer database easily and without the hiring of a computer programmer?

Vehicle Tracking - Mainly talking about the tracking of vehicle maintenance items. Also helpful in the cases of the expiration of tags and permits. Chances are you will be kept abreast of these items by getting bills in the mail to renew them but it's good to have a back up to keep you legal.

Employee tracking - Allow an inputing of employees work schedules, tracking of the expiration of their licenses and medical exams. And information to keep in touch with them (email, cell, fax #'s). Will it figure out payroll for you or just payroll totals. Allow for discipline tracking per employee? Have a file for tracking incidents of good or bad behavior.

Some other things:
    Is mapping important to your business or do you leave the up to the driver to find the way
    Is integrated flight tracking important or are you not going to be doing any airport work
    Is a web interface important to your business model? or will you mostly be working the phones.
    Is remote access important for other employees or will you be doing everything in one location.
    Is integration into travel agency computer systems important (forget the names of those systems)
    Will you be doing enough credit card business that having it integrated into the program would be helpful or would just a stand along CC terminal be OK for you.

But mainly do you feel comfortable using it and does it make sense to you. A piece of software could do everything under the sun but if it's too confusing and not intuitive then you will never get the full potential out of it.

Those are the majors I could think of what else guys and gals?
    Steve Walker ppvsteve@gmail.com

Originally posted by SecuredTranspo:
    Would it be possible for everyone to give suggestions about what features that would be good for limo software? Features like being able to email reservations to having enough space to input client in formation/preferences. I will be shoping for software at the show in Atlantic city, but I dont know what to look for.
    I would like to bring up this topic again. All input is appreciated.