Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Gunny Chronicles

WOW is all I can think of when I look around in here and... HE's EVERYWHERE! at war and proud of it - looking for the next fight -

I not looking for one, but feel the need to rebutt some of the issues and see if there is some common ground to lay a framework for reasonable discussion. Leave the attitudes at the door and come in and share ideas of what to go forward with - rather than how did we get here and who should we go after and have a fight with.

The differences with taxis, limos & sedans: local, state & federal regulation are all a result of 80 or more years of regulations - during which time there has been a presence at those lawmaking tables of the taxis. In the scheme, pre-arranged or limo has only gotten legs in the legislative arena for maybe a generous 20 years. I'd say the average non north-eastern Association age is less than 15 years - if there is even a group at all that pays attention.

And therein lies the problem that I see glaringly. No one is paying attention. No one gives a flying - about how the regulations where they operate affect them. And they do not realize how they can - as a group of like minded businesspeople - affect the changes they can get agreement on.

The problem is that no one has time because they are busy running their businesses. It's a gigantic catch 22 -

Others,like our esteemed gunny, are blazing the trail of investigation and has the knowledge of the entire combined limos.com forum readers.

There's a spectrum of laws from none to archaic that regulate our industry through the USA.

Blaming the concept of Industry Associations and assuming payola at every turn and pitting big vs small operators would be the topics that I'd like to leave at the door in this thread please.

States that have acheived success through their Association should be in here not to be attacked, but to be joined in their collective successes in controlling their own agenda with regards to how they are regulated.

It's a shame to me that such a valuable forum to the Industry can be hijacked. Kind of like a microcosm of the law thing... it only takes involvement to affect change.

Doc I think Gunny has a unique perspective on the problem because he operates in a GESTAPO controlled area. The regulations that Tampa puts on out of town operators is ridiculous. The operators that are pulling the strings are NLA operatives and TLPA boardmembers. It is obvious these folks have designed these laws to prohibit more competition from ther areas which goes against everything that the NLA supposedly stands for. I think that is what started him down this road.

Beer Commercial you didn't rebut crappola and aside from BS rhetoric you offer absolutely zero to counter anything I put into print. At least the morons I attack are smart enough to mind their place dip wad. Can't offer any proof sources or links to rebuke my statements, stay in the corner like a good little boy.

Now go smack some "oh please protect my business from competition" Big Brother booty there big city boy.

Wade, if this moron had half a brain I'd be willing to debate with him. His knowledge of transportation laws goes as far as what he helped write up for Va to limit and restrict competition & protect his business. In other words, he's one of the NLA Gestapo loving clowns.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Originally posted by gunny:
    Beer Commercial you didn't rebut crappola and aside from BS rhetoric you offer absolutely zero to counter anything I put into print. At least the morons I attack are smart enough to mind their place dip wad. Can't offer any proof sources or links to rebuke my statements, stay in the corner like a good little boy.

Now go smack some "oh please protect my business from competition" Big Brother booty there big city boy.

Wade, if this moron had half a brain I'd be willing to debate with him. His knowledge of transportation laws goes as far as what he helped write up for Va to limit and restrict competition & protect his business. In other words, he's one of the NLA Gestapo loving clowns.

gunny, I have a life and would prefer not to waste the time in a name calling argument with you on this board.
    I'm just glad you are here and on the job as poster boy for how to create the most stress in this business.

NLA gestapo clown - got it. I didn't think there'd be any real dialogue. It's a shame too, because you've done alot of homework. Too bad you think it has to be a fight to make a change or to be the impetus for it.

I've had more than another look after your prior comments at what you term restrictive in my area. To determine validity to what you say, I've asked dozens of people for their thoughts as they operate under these restrictions and they just go "huh" with the deer in the headlights look and go back to running their businesses.

It's not a perfect world, and my point - which flew right by you - had to do with using this forum as a cooperative effort to get some consensus. whoooosh - there it goes again ....

You want to call me out by starting a thread in my honor? Gloves are off.

What I post is not for the enjoyment or amusement of the NLA crowd who has sought fit to keep parts of the Industry in the dark on issues, regs and laws that affect their bottom line. Those are the parts of the Industry who are classified as small operators based outside of major metro areas engaged in intrastate transportation. These are the ones who get f'ked by the antics of large operators (many in key NLA,TLPA & local association leadership positions) in metro areas holding the major transportation hubs and they are my targeted audience. I do not post rhetoric but from information sources I come upon in my research to inflict as much damage as I can upon the "Real Illegal" operators & local jurisdicitions regulating in contempt of the law. So far locally, we have motor carriers fighting & winning against criminal charges v. pleading out. I call this victory acheived with no thanks to the local associations whose leadership is now trying to figure out what will come next.

If you or anyone wants to take me on and debate or try & prove me wrong, bring it on! Print BS & I will respond in kind.

As a intrastate transportation advocate I will utilize every weapon at my disposal to shed light on the illegal & immoral actions of monopoly driven regulatory parasites and to educate the small motor coach transportation industry on issues concerning unlawful economic regulatory practices.

Now, not for DR G (unless the basic facts are wrong), but other readers & operators. Va has in law that a new transportation service provider must post I believe a $20k performance bond. It may be higher & I'm not in the mood for researching Va laws. It was grandfathered in so it's not applicable to those Industry members who helped pen the law. I call this one example of restricting competition by the Industry.

Senior Member Limo Padawan ziggyburd's Avatar

Originally posted by Dr. Gelakeiwicz:
    WOW is all I can think of when I look around in here and... HE's EVERYWHERE! at war and proud of it - looking for the next fight
    Are you a leader or just a lame follower?

Have you been locked up for running your business? Lost you business to an over zealous group afraid of losing a piece of the pie? Have you been harassed for operating legally anywhere else in the state except Hillsborough County? Nope. Though so, as you are someone who pays for the protection by agreeing with others to RESTRICT FREE TRADE.

It is everyone's right as a citizen to operate his/her business without undue influence from state government, local agencies and local businesses. Money can be made by everyone, but some are just greedy!

Are you saying I have no rights? That's why Gunny and others like myself want to make a difference and stop local governments from restricting how we live and work.

I'm a Proud Member of the Florida Intrastate Transportation Alliance. I believe in the education of ALL operators. Not just the ones who join associations for protection.
    Zane Burdette
    St. Petersburg, FL

http://www.thefita.com/

Malcontent Member

"The right to travel is a part of the liberty of which citizens cannot be deprived of without due process of law under the 5th Amendment" Justice William O Douglas

"Government should do everything it can to encourage intrastate and interstate for-hire vehicle commerce, higher uniform minimum safety standards and less bureacracy and paperwork for all. We must remember that we are regulating businesses that serve people who wish to exercise their freedom to travel...." Matthew Daus NYC TLC Commissioner

"Whereas, nonuniform laws and ordinances are a source of inconvenience,..........increase the administrative and enforcement burdens of governmental agencies, and raise serious barriers to interstate and intrastate travel and commerce" Florida Attorney General Opinion

Doc, Gunny has many good valid points on many issues. He obviously has spends a great deal of time in researching and board posting. Let's just say he rides a higher horse than most men and spills his knowledge a little rougher than most. No offense intended Gunny! So, as everything else in life. Take the good parts that will help you, leave the bad parts (name calling)behind. I am sure you have had the displeasure of working with people you didn't care for as far as personality but yet together you got a job done. That's Gunny! He isn't Mr. Charming but he does get things done and has much to offer in terms of knowledge. This doesn't mean I agree with all his opinions - just that he is knowledgable about many things. There are many that just politely smile when you mention his name and no further comments are needed to clarify their position. He is someone I would want on my team for his knowledge base but not someone I would make sure sat next to me at the dinner table every night if that makes sense.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Originally posted by Limo Scene:
    . He is someone I would want on my team for his knowledge base but not someone I would make sure sat next to me at the dinner table every night if that makes sense.
    Not if you value your steak!

Doc I have seen first hand how goverment agencies can get totally out of control over restrictive transportation laws. In New Orleans the taxicab bureau used to send officers out in the field looking for "unlawful" companies. These were typically companies from out of town who were bringing their clients to eat, party and do business in the City of New Orleans. The taxicab bureau officers would arrest, handcuff and bring the drivers to jail leaving their clients stranded. These companies were totally legitimate companies located in other municipal areas. The good ole' boy network in New Orleans had the laws so restricted that anyone else but the same old group could not get a license. These Gestapo officers even wore fatigues, combat boots and 9mm pistols. They were also commissioned officers in New Orleans which ment they had arrest powers just like a city policeman. This went on for over 20 years until the new mayor was elected.

And we still have a few established companies pushing bogus laws to restrict the number of Special Events permits issued, restricting the number of sedan permits issued and other various and sundry entitlement issues. New applicants still don't have much of a chance to obtain permits at the infamous transportation hearings. Why bother trying to be a worldclass livery when you can tilt the table in your favor ? The consumer suffers when a market is closed.
    Dean Schuler

Originally posted by Wade Randolph:
    Doc I have seen first hand how goverment agencies can get totally out of control over restrictive transportation laws. In New Orleans the taxicab bureau used to send officers out in the field looking for "unlawful" companies. These were typically companies from out of town who were bringing their clients to eat, party and do business in the City of New Orleans. The taxicab bureau officers would arrest, handcuff and bring the drivers to jail leaving their clients stranded. These companies were totally legitimate companies located in other municipal areas. The good ole' boy network in New Orleans had the laws so restricted that anyone else but the same old group could not get a license. These Gestapo officers even wore fatigues, combat boots and 9mm pistols. They were also commissioned officers in New Orleans which ment they had arrest powers just like a city policeman. This went on for over 20 years until the new mayor was elected.
    Sounds like the New York deal I read about over the years. Great responses by all below. Thanks for some civility. I gotcher A1 sauce right here gunny !

I guess I question where the state level representatives - delegates and senators - are in these situations. I understand it's a local issue, but the delegate is districted to be local and serve a constituency. They have connections with all of the locals and are they working on your sides in these battles? And who are the others in the committees and do you have a friend from that district? And to me that is where you need an "association" to help coordinate as well as educate. But getting an actual group of various operators to sit in the same room and discuss a common goal?

I don't have the answers. I think I can see the barricades. I know what sort of works for me - regularly talking with my elected representatives so that they at least know my name -

Getting legislative action to make changes is a Herculian effort that once it starts, never seems to end. But we have businesses to run remember? So which is it?

I see the greatest problem in the markets with zero regulation. Pro active operators could concievably self regulate with a lawmaking process. There have been so many examples of these battles around the USA, and yet there are still developing limousine markets that are not regulated. What are these people thinking?

I would much more want to be at the task force table discussing regulatory options, than have it done to me by whoever else is there without me.

And if I can have my own table and no one else has a concern even better. That's the ideal law. One that creates minimal opposition.... or has come from compromise that can be lived with on all sides.

But then when it's debated, written and passed - somebody has to keep track of it to make sure no one else decides to mess with it without approvals.

Now if you just have one guy doing all this and he's not there anymore, is there an organization in place that can continue? Everyone in the limo business or any businessshould ask ourselves this question. It can be asked in the legislative area also.

It's great to have an outstanding individual with the motivation to gain the knowledge to ascertain the solution. There needs to be some organization of people and recruits to carry on.

I just believe an association is the answer. Is yours bad? Get a new one or hijack yours back. Without involvement in associations you won't get it back and your clout meter resets to zero. (you then get to re-invest in the struggle on your own) Bashing the associations because of the deadbeat member weakens rather than stregnthens the whole in my opinion when there is a bigger picture to address for a motivated group.

How do you motivate a limo guy?

Tell him

"I GOT CASH"

regards

Doc I was instrumental in writing our local Baton Rouge regulations which are in a nutshell no regulations. You file your insurance showing you have insurance and pay an inspection fee. Everyone that can afford insurance should be allowed to compete and the consumer wins. This is the way it should be.

Could someone please decipher what the good Doctor's ramblings are about?

Taxi Cab, Limousine, Luxury Sedan, Motor Coach, School Bus what ever you want to call the mode, we are all in reality just a trucking company. Some haul freight, some haul people. Seems the Truckers have it altogether why can't we do the same.

We need a Jimmy Hoffa runing the show.
    David E. Merrill