Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: NLA Propaganda (What They Don't Want You To Know)

That was brilliant Wade! It hit home square in the eye for me. On mid December, my and wife and I became aware that there were, on that day, a total of 230 children living in our city's homeless shelter. The shelter had a shortage of pajamas. There was no big press conference about it or even a blurb in the paper about it. It was a chance conversation.

On December 23rd, my wife and I delivered 250 pairs of pajamas to the Homeless shelter. Each set was gift wrapped with a bow and the child's first name.

There was no news crew. There was no write up in the paper. Nothing. We arrived at 8:00pm and left shortly after.

I don't want to take all the credit for our actions as we had assistance. Wal-Mart is our client. They have a massive distribution center way, way out of the city (actually in the small town of Porterville). They gave me a fantastic price knowing what the cause was. I also obtained funds and gift wrapping services from a local charity group.

I bet there is a whole lot of help going on that we never see or hear about which probably translate to a much higher figure than the limousine industry would every be able to muster up.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Originally posted by Limo Scene:
    I can also tell you as an affiliate for CLS/Empire, Music Express, Diva, ELS, Blacktie, Carey etc. etc. they wouldn't give a rat's ass about me if I had a business problem. Affiliates merely perform jobs in a given geographic location. There is no financial interest in my company from anyone I am "affiliated" with nor do I have any financial investment in theirs so it is ridiculous to think that they would help. What's in it for them? The fact is, they would find someone else in the area to do the work before they helped me back up on my feet and that is just they way it is.

This ranting and raving has been going on too long. I have remained silent but cannot do so anymore without at least making the recommendation to stop playing the armchair quarterback, make a call to Fran, get the information you crave so much and report it here so this thread can be closed once and for all. It is not the least bit productive and surely there must be marketing work to do, reservations to take, year end filing, post-run satisfaction calls, bills to pay, invoices to prepare and things that actually will make money.

Have a good weekend. Will someone please help me off the soapbox? Not you though Gunny, I'm afraid you'll kick my ass off it.
    Finally an answer, sort of, if the long winded post means because "no body gives a s--t".

My question is not where or whom the money is going to but, once again, why so little support to the NLA's Katrina Relief Fund? Simple question.

Jim, you & other brave souls rant & beat up some civilian writing the truth about certain aspects of the industry (remember) & I'll rant about the BS fed out to the Industry by associations & rags of the associations, unlawful regulations & unscrupulous individuals within the industry, deal.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Deal!
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

I just realized I understand your simple question now. Why so little financial support form the industry? Yes, the short version is, everyone is just making it in this business and there isn't a lot of "extra" money left over to send on. If that translates to no one gives a sh*t then so be it. It isn't that I personally don't care. I happen to have a different set of priorities in handling the distribution of profits. If forced to prioritize it, I will give you an honest list of how I spend profit:
    #1 - My family
    #2 - Employee bonuses, perqs and raises
    #3 - Equipment acquisitions/replacements, upgrades.
    #4 - Causes needing support in my community
    #5 - GCLA
    #6 - NLA
    #7 - Everyone else with their freakin' hand out.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA

Gunny I was going to keep quiet about this but feel compelled now to comment. I know for a fact that 4 of the largests networks have stepped up and helped their affiliates in New Orleans financially. One of the first to help was Scott Solombrino of DavEl. I admire him for not blowing his horn. He offered help to his affilated less than one week after the storm. I also know Music, Carey and Empire have helped their affiliates. I was going to keep my mouth shut about this but now feel its the right time for me to run my mouth about it. As a matter of fact Scott was the first to call me a few days after Katrina to check on the local and New Orleans operators. My hat is off to him.

Originally posted by Wade Randolph:
    Gunny I was going to keep quiet about this but feel compelled now to comment. I know for a fact that 4 of the largests networks have stepped up and helped their affiliates in New Orleans financially. One of the first to help was Scott Solombrino of DavEl. I admire him for not blowing his horn. He offered help to his affilated less than one week after the storm. I also know Music, Carey and Empire have helped their affiliates. I was going to keep my mouth shut about this but now feel its the right time for me to run my mouth about it. As a matter of fact Scott was the first to call me a few days after Katrina to check on the local and New Orleans operators. My hat is off to him.
    Wade,
    I have no doubt that Music, Carey & Empire have helped "their own" out as the beginning gist of the posts I made alluded to with the "rubbing of the hands" remark I made. In other words, allow the others not affiliated to disappear & when the market returns, only the big players are left to eat off the pie.

Only the Strong Survive.

Now as far as the "I love me" operators contributing & not desiring recognition? I hope you're not serious.

As A Fire For Effect Only:
    Thank God that everyone in this Country does not such self-serving principles guiding them! That there are individuals out there who put integrity, sacrifice & principles ahead of all else. Freedom Is Not Free!

I just realized I understand your simple question now. Why so little financial support form the industry? Yes, the short version is, everyone is just making it in this business and there isn't a lot of "extra" money left over to send on. If that translates to no one gives a sh*t then so be it. It isn't that I personally don't care. I happen to have a different set of priorities in handling the distribution of profits. If forced to prioritize it, I will give you an honest list of how I spend profit:
    #1 - My family
    #2 - Employee bonuses, perqs and raises
    #3 - Equipment acquisitions/replacements, upgrades.
    #4 - Causes needing support in my community
    #5 - GCLA
    #6 - NLA
    #7 - Everyone else with their freakin' hand out.
    Honesty is the best policy Jim.

Personally, if the situation occured in Tampa I wouldn't give a s***. Too many kids coming home in body bags & missing limbs to care about those who never earned what they enjoy & allow regulators and a small handful to lead them by the nose without fighting for what is right (cowards).

The whole gist of this topic is that the NLA is not as strong as they make it out to be by the inactions of its membership & that small operators should not count on membership to the NLA to be an invite to lunch with the big boys.

I suppose if I did volume work for the "big guys", they would help me. But honestly, I don't think I am even on the radar except in those situations where they need a limo/sedan in Bakersfield, CA. I honestly couldn't see them coming to my aid should the need arise. I am grateful for the jobs and always do my best to send business back into the network whenever appropriate. I have had to call many "big boy" operations to beg and plead for payment at 60 days out. If they are willing to squeeze me financially in the good times, it makes it hard for me to see how they would jump in in the bad times. New Orleans is a tourist location and probably generates a great deal more business than Bakersfield, CA with a population of less than a million people and no real major attractions to speak of that would draw people here.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA

I suppose if I did volume work for the "big guys", they would help me. But honestly, I don't think I am even on the radar except in those situations where they need a limo/sedan in Bakersfield, CA. I honestly couldn't see them coming to my aid should the need arise. I am grateful for the jobs and always do my best to send business back into the network whenever appropriate. I have had to call many "big boy" operations to beg and plead for payment at 60 days out. If they are willing to squeeze me financially in the good times, it makes it hard for me to see how they would jump in in the bad times. New Orleans is a tourist location and probably generates a great deal more business than Bakersfield, CA with a population of less than a million people and no real major attractions to speak of that would draw people here.
    When I hear Bakersfield I think of that Clint Eastwood movie "Every Which Way But Loose".
    Remember Clyde?

Right turn Clyde! So you remember the movie, Any Which way you can was filmed in Bakersfield eh? Coincidentally, I pass the intersection every morning where the two Bakersfield Police officers were sitting at a Wienerscnitzel having hot dogs when Orville comes by and calls them fags and they give chase. The intersection, except for that corner of it is completely different now. What a classic movie.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA

Right turn Clyde! So you remember the movie, Any Which way you can was filmed in Bakersfield eh? Coincidentally, I pass the intersection every morning where the two Bakersfield Police officers were sitting at a Wienerscnitzel having hot dogs when Orville comes by and calls them fags and they give chase. The intersection, except for that corner of it is completely different now. What a classic movie.
    Ma was the best though. Kind of reminded me of Granny from Playboy Magazines.

Serious note Jim, just pulled off another site that in California 20.42% of voting age population are noncitizens. This of course is an estimate as no one is sure of the exact number of illegals in State. 1/5 of the population age 18 and up are not US Citizens is a little scary. Mexico getting ready to reclaim the Golden State?

And now back to the "ranting":
    11/05 LCT: Sara does her own version of ranting over an article published by the Wall Street Journal centering around the mega-stretches. The article high lighted some stories regarding the dificulty in manuevering these beast describing situations that occured. One driver describes the difficulty in handling a "31 foot" Ford Excursion on the narrow streets of Little Italy in NYC.

Sara took exception to the negative press even pointing out that the article made mention that the NHTSA is stepping up efforts to ID rogue builders who don't follow safety standards.

She encourages all to send in positive stories to balance the stories of Operators selling to the public noncompliance vehicles.

11/05 LCT also dedicates an article regarding Katrina. The Headline reads, "Industry Bands Together for Hurricane Relief Effort".

This article includes the Katrina Relief fund efforts of the NLA, LCT & Limo Digest.

There is an article submitted by P. Capers of how Wynne Sedan & Limousine answered the call of FEMA to provide four 25pax & one 32pax buses for the relief efforts. All I'm sure at a heavy profit for the company & hefty pay for the "volunteer" drivers.

"The Show Must Go On" high lighted the efforts of Carol Boroday who as the article states, "Does her part to keep awards show on track despite Katrina's fury". In reality Boroday did her part to put dollars in her pocket but with LCT's help turned it into some heroic event.

A message by J. Wrobel of A1 Worldwide Limousine is printed encouraging all networks to pay monies due to Gulf Operators immediately.

Now take a guess of how many of these heroes are on the list of donators to the Katrina Relief Fund. Of course there is a possibility that they did donate & asked that their names not be published on the list out of modesty.

February LCT is out:

Lets see,
    Hey! They have an article covering Industry Regulation with a caption that Associations would prefer regulatory structures be established at the State Level! Damn, well lets go for it. Plenty of issues concerning the over-regulation but no ideas on how to attack the problem in this article or in other words, talking the talk, no walking the walk.

And here is another bright one from Gainesville who decided that there was not enough regulation so he enlisted the help of other operators (no mention of local) throughout the State of Florida to help convince the City of Gainesville to put into effect another local regulatory ordinance. Why not the effort to have the State take it over bud v. another local hurdle? Of course this idiocy just applies to Gainesville & not Operators located outside the city limits.

And now after adding another burden upon the local operators, he wants them to form an association.

This individual is so proud of himself that he sent in a "I love me" application and now is in the running as a nominee for LCT Operator of the Year. According to the finalist write up, his company "services" airports in J'ville, Orlando, Tampa, Miami & even Atlanta. His drivers must have a tough time seeing out of the windows with that many stickers & a interstate operator at that (registered with DOT (safersys.org) as a intrastate only carrier).

Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA

Some smack heads, some smack posteriors.

Keeping the a** kissing fair & balanced Jim.

I'm sure LCT appreciates your support.