Thread: 1989 lincoln aircon?

Senior Member Limo Padawan

well i dont think i've ever used the aircon on my 1989 lincoln and yep thats right its not working so is it going to cost me a small fortune to get it working or could it be easy?

www.1stlincslimo.co.uk

It could be something easy like refridgerant, you need to know whether it uses freon or R134A. Freon can be very expensive. It could be the compressor needs replacing - expensive. You really need to take it to an A/C expert and get it checked out then you will know what you are getting into. I would think however that where you are you will have very limited use, its not like 105 F with a heat index of 90 percent which is what we get here in the summer. Last night at 8.00 pm it was 92 with a HI of 96 percent, that takes the starch out of your shirt

I'm fairly certain 1989 had R-12 (Freon) as an A/C refridgerant. R-12 depletes ozone faster than Shell raises gas prices. The new R134a systems don't deplete ozone, but are extremely poisonous, as well as having smaller molecules so they tend to bleed out over time. Your old system is convertible to R134a but, if it doesn;t work right now, you're probably looking at a lot of expensive part replacement. I firmly believe that automatic transmission repairmen come from the same schools as A/C repairmen, at least they price the same way.
    Dave H.
    LA Limousines
    Victoria BC, Canada
    North America Toll Free 888 933-5466

Senior Member Limo Padawan

Hi Smitstix,

as for A/C you may want to look at this site:
    http://www.keep-it-kool.at/english/inhaltE.html

This gentleman also runs (and fixes!) limousines, and he took on this product line recently. I know he is retrofitting a lot of older systems to R134a without major parts exchange. Just get in touch and let him know that I proposed this, his name is Panagiotis (Panos) Siarlidis, email: sales@omnicar.at

Maybe he can advise someone in you area doing the same kind of service ... Good luck!

Take care,
    Rupert
    http://www.amadeuslimo.com

I recently had to have some AC work done on my '93. The compressor blew and scattered metal in the sysyem. When the AC Guy got into it, it was like opening up a can of worms. Bad hose's, Condenser ready to blow. Bottom line, $2,700.00. AC will freeze you out of the car now but I am still recovering from the hit in the Check Book.

David E. Merrill
    David E. Merrill

My advise is to find a reputable AC service center. Tell them you need it recharged and checked. Also, if asked, you don't know whats in it (R-12..R134a). They have ways of checking that with chemical tests. They will run the AC and check it first. They will notify you of problems before they try to fill it. This way you don't have to get socked with the "trouble shooting" fee also.

Check around with friends. See if anyone knows a certified mechanic who wouldn't mind a little $ on the side. I've gotten a lot of expensive work done fairly cheap that way. They also come over after shop hours if something breaks before a run ... or during it.

Worth a shot. Good Luck!