Thread: 1985 Lincoln capacity?

Member Limo Padawan

Does anyone know the capacity of a limousine which is the size of a regular sedan, but stretched one window longer? Probably a bad description but one is up for sale near me.

Note: I value all the hard work everyone puts into their limo businesses. I will not be using it to start a cheap livery service, it will be a personal car that is unique and I can mess around with at a smaller expense. No gypsy service from me!

Thanks!
    -Evan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Evan

It's probably a six pack. Be careful with those years, their frames aren't as good as they should be.

Another thing, you can probably grab a mid 90's for about $3000-4000 for a decent one.
    Dave H.
    LA Limousines
    Victoria BC, Canada
    North America Toll Free 888 933-5466

Looks like a six pax to me too and of course is now considered a very old model (despite the tarted up one in Maddona's vid ) it all depends on the price ( as David said) you can probably pick up a much newer one that requires less work and may well be the better bargain when you add up the costs to get it in good condition.

Senior Member Limo Padawan

My 85 was only five passengers. The TV console took up almost a third of the rear facing seat. The 'stretch' length over the regular Town Car was 45". If it is longer, it is most likely six passengers.

If it was stretched by Gains, don't walk, RUN away from the purchase! They were pretty big back then and did not do a very good job. That's probably where the frame comment came from.
    Matt Harrison
    AAA Guaranteed On-Time Limousine, Clinton NJ

Member Limo Padawan

Thank you all for your responses. I will give the vehicle a good look inside and out before I purchase it. He will probably take about $800 for it because he needs to make room for his sports car restoration. (he's a friend of a friend who bought the car for fun)

Question: why is the limousine term "pack" instead of passengers?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Evan

Originally posted by AAA/GOT:
    ...That's probably where the frame comment came from.
    Not really, the early to mid 80's were all gas-crunch models. Weight was so much easier to get fuel mileage than engine improvements that you're fairly hard pressed to find an 80's Lincoln stretch that isn't swayback or patched. Even the sedans are only decent if they've been babied since the showroom.

Originally posted by Scoot:
    Question: why is the limousine term "pack" instead of passengers?
    Obvious comparisons to beer aside, it most likely comes from the airline shorthand for passengers "PAX".
    Dave H.
    LA Limousines
    Victoria BC, Canada
    North America Toll Free 888 933-5466

Member Limo Padawan

I took a look myself. It needs cosmetic work, but everything else seems to be in order. It was done by Executive Coach Builders.
    -Evan

A 73" stretch was a monster car in 1985. This one looks to be in the 48"-54" stretch range. A five passenger.
    Dean Schuler

Thats an Executive Coach 54". I owned several just like it. Very well built cars.

Well I'll say one thing, its a long time since I saw a velour interior and Dean, I had a 93 inch that everyone said was too huge ( how times have changed )

Originally posted by Wade Randolph:
    Thats an Executive Coach 54". I owned several just like it. Very well built cars.
    Indeed, I agree on the well built overall on those 80's vintage Executives. Too bad they all didn't go to the John Bumgarner school of coachbuilding.
    If it were my potential purchase, particularly seeing it is from Ohio (where I assume they have plenty of winter salt on the roads), I qould look closely at the crossmember for the carrier bearing underneath. I remember having problems with them rusting almost completely through as the crosmember was not solid but a holow piece.
    Be interesting to see who you can get a new crossmember from to eliminate that pesky drivetrain vibration!

Member Limo Padawan

Dr. G,
    Thanks for your input! The vehicle drives excellent and after checking it out very carefully, the only rust I could find was above the wheels (minor bubbling in the paint) and the exhause pipe has some surface rust.

An interesting thing that I found when a friend began messing with the electronics was that a previous owner had built in a radar detector in the car. The controls were in the panel above the driver's seat and the actual detector was behind the headlight. There was no owner's manual included, so every day is like a treasure hunt as we follow the wires!
    -Evan