Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't Serve Two Masters

As if Towncars aren't taxis in most any major city in the US? Keep in mind these cars have taxi meters, signage painted on the vehicle, electronic roof signs, etc.

I can certainly understand them being upset about this following the taxi folks recently suggesting a raise on the limo rates. That wasn't right.

The black color...hmm not too cool.
    Tip to the neighbors in Houston - any verbiage in the Houston code about color schemes? From Austin city code: "All vehicles in the fleet must be the same color scheme approved for the taxicab franchise."

We have yellow towncar taxis here in Austin. I don't worry about it a bit and we probably charge 3-4X the taxi rate from downtown to the airport. What we provide is a completely different level of service that people are willing to pay for.

PS - food for further thought....the same company in Austin tried a similar move several years ago (even registering a few cars as licensed limo 'sedans' but is now no longer offering the service. Guess it didn't work out.
    Tony Franzetti
    Marriton Limousine, Austin, TX
    Austin Limousine service, Austin airport service, austin bus charters
    http://www.marritonlimo.com

Tony, Good point on color scheme.

"Tuesday, 26 April 2005 J Brady of Liberty Cab & R.Bruns of "Yellow Cab" in Houston stood in front of the city council & demanded a minmum limo charge of $80. for TC Service from IAH or Hobby to downtown Houston." I first reported this on the Houston thread I started & it was info distributed from the Prez of the Limo Association in Houston. Hardly sounds like a suggestion from cabbies.

The advertisement for Yellow Cab which operates under the direction of a TLPA Heavy is for "Reserved Executive Sedan Service" which is a limo function & not a taxi service. As I understand, cabbies run flat rates out of the Houston airports so a meter doesn't come into play.

Bottom line is that the cabbies under direction of a TLPA heavy utilized their money fed politico influence to drive the "government mandated" minimum pricing of private car service up in order to market a similar service at reduced costs. If it looks like S**t, smells like S**t, it must be S**t!
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

A quick google search on their phone number shows them in some 'limousine' directories as well, perhaps showing some 'intent' to break city ordinance, overstepping their license authority.
    Tony Franzetti
    Marriton Limousine, Austin, TX
    Austin Limousine service, Austin airport service, austin bus charters
    http://www.marritonlimo.com

The limo operators should all be DOT registered and ignore the local pricing ordinance. When one of them is fined take it to federal court. They will prevail.

Thank you Wade for preaching my sermon. It's gonna happen some day anyway. Get it done now and be grandfathered in. You know when the feds do take over , it's gonna' cost more and may have other problems.

Senior Member Limo Padawan

I'm not sure if this adds fuel to the fire, but several of these vehicles were recently for sale on Krystal's site:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Martin
    Night Out Limousine
    Hollister, CA

Those cars came back from the New York New York Hotel in Las Vegas. They weren't for higher, simply to transport the guests. The guy who bought them off us is going to paint them. Know the facts before you go bashing...

Senior Member Limo Padawan

Wasn't "bashing" anyone... Just thought these vehicles looked an awful lot like the Taxi's that someone referred to as "Oil and Water".

Looks pretty mixed here.

Sorry I brought attention to your site (and by the way, it's "for hire").
    Jim Martin
    Night Out Limousine
    Hollister, CA

Easy does it salesman. Didn't read no bashing either.

Cool Limos though. Would be a great gimmick except for cities that prohibit any vehicle other then cabs being painted taxi yellow. But there are always waivers.

Right on, we're here to help you guys out (the limo operators) we would rather see you get the money than a taxi

Does everyone know the dirty word from the TLPA playbook ? The word that sends shivers down the backs of the TAXI - BARONS who control our limousine business. This one word will bring an instant response and mobilization from the TLPA.

DEREGULATION

Start a revolution in your area. Say it loud, say it clear, say it over and over again and watch the skin crawl over the taxi owners faces.
    Demand DEREGULATION this industry will not survive if we continue along this current path of over-regulation with no representation.

I learned a long time ago from a man named Bob Matherson of Long Island's infamous Oak Beach Inn Nightclubs who won millions in suits against corrupt government officials that if you don't bang on the door no one will open it.

So I bang and keep banging & when tired I will start kicking.

And the NLA thinks they have it rough. The TLPA kicked out a memo to its members dtd 6 July 2006 encouraging the faithful to fill out its questionnaire for the fact book. As of the memo date only 62 cab operations & 12 limo ops have sent in the survey.
    Next hit is nominations for Operator & Driver of the Year Awards, only 8 taxi driver & 3 taxi operator of the year nominations received. Oh yeah, limos? Zero have been received.

As a further tie in of the taxi industry infiltrating the ranks here is a little tid bit. LCT #21 largest 2006 fleet operation "Tri County" in Ft Lauderdale listed in July's LCT as owned by Lorraine Wilde. A look on Fl Division of Corporations shows the business registered to Florida's Top Taxi Baron & the TLPA's Treasurer. Lorraine Wilde is listed on the Division site though along with her NLA board member buddy as registered agents of the Florida Limousine Association. Connect the dots!

It is an ongoing battle that my friend Joe Jordan of the Houston Limousine Association has spoken about at great length.
    Dean Schuler

As long as there are the few wielding their influence and power to negatively affect the majority, the majority has the obligation to squash the cockroaches.

If one is writing a check that supports these cockroaches solely for prospering business opportunities, he/she themselves become a cockroach.