Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can't Serve Two Masters

Rate integrity is the issue they have with limousine "operators ".
    Dean Schuler

Gunny, I recently attended the TLPA Trade Show in Las Vegas. I found the association to be extremely well organized and focused. The members were well dressed and had intelligent comments to share in the seminars. I met and spoke with the Taxi Driver of the Year and the Paratransit driver of the year. Also good conversations with the people that run the TLPA. These folks are serious about what they do and are not to be taken lightly. The same applies to the bus associations-UMA and ABA. I had a number of lengthy conversations with Norm Littler, Chief Lobbyist for the American Bus Association when he came to town in August.
    Dean Schuler

Originally posted by Dean Schuler:
    Gunny, I recently attended the TLPA Trade Show in Las Vegas. I found the association to be extremely well organized and focused. The members were well dressed and had intelligent comments to share in the seminars. I met and spoke with the Taxi Driver of the Year and the Paratransit driver of the year. Also good conversations with the people that run the TLPA. These folks are serious about what they do and are not to be taken lightly. The same applies to the bus associations-UMA and ABA. I had a number of lengthy conversations with Norm Littler, Chief Lobbyist for the American Bus Association when he came to town in August.
    The Nazi's were sharp dressers also & were very serious with their intentions. The TLPA is about empire building & are nothing but a group of thugs hiding behind the laws they paid for.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Gunny, Just don't underestimate the forces in play.
    Dean Schuler

Originally posted by Dean Schuler:
    Gunny, Just don't underestimate the forces in play.
    Dean, I believe it's more like the TLPA & NLA better not underestimate me or my legal team.

The transportation establishment has made that mistake with me before...
    Originally posted by gunny:
    Limos & Taxis are as Oil & Water, they don't mix. Over & over it is proven that the taxi industry has been through lobbying & payola sticking it to the limo operators of whom many are consider small operations. As this is happening taxi Barons are introducing luxury sedans to their stables.

How taxi Barons are able to accomplish their deeds is strictly inter-twined with the TLPAs mission of keeping regulation on "local" levels. On the local level, it is much easier to wield influence with the politicos through the age old art of payola.

Recent examples of Taxi led attacks on the industry includes the rate increases in Houston, taxi ops imploring Tampa Commissioners to cease issuing permits to intrastate carriers, Nassau's taxi backed TLC putting the screws to Suffolk & NYC for-hires, the fiasco brewing in Detroit, and more recently highlighted in Limo Digest, Colorado operators were on the verge of having a dumb law repealed that requires sedans to have a tv & beverage service. The limo operators were on their way for this repeal when as stated in the article, "that is when the several lobbyist employed by the taxi companies pounced" and the bill was shot down.

What is disturbing or should be to those of us not in the taxi business is the number of limo association heavies in bed with the taxi Barons by direct business connections and their positions on the TLPA Board. Also, who is directing the TLPA TLPAshould give a clue of who is looking out for who. When the taxi payola Houston politicos went after limo rates did the TLPA join in support of the limos? Could it be that the reason they didn't is because a Houston Taxi Baron sits on the TLPA?

The only thing more worthless then the "talk the talk" with no "walk the walk" NLA is the TLPA. The TLPA is a TAXI association period. From time to time in this thread, name by name the "in the bed" relations will be exposed.

Raymond Turner, Greater Houston Transportation Co.
    TLPA Taxi Division Commitee Member
    TLPA Director

Robert McBride, Metro Taxi, Denver
    TLPA Director

William Cotter, Metro Taxi, Denver
    Voting Past President TLPA Board
    Dean Schuler

Here's an article that the TLPA doesn't want wide distribution of:

Mayor Busts Open Minneapolis' Taxi Cartel

Is this the same city that pulled intrastate limos out of its regulatory some time back?

Is this the same city that wrenched the RNC from Tampa?

Cities competing for major crowd drawing convention type venues cannot afford TLPA backed, taxi driven, monopolizing, Draconian regulatory agencies.

I believe in getting rid of the monopoly over the taxis, but increasing the numbers won't make them all more money, it will just make the taxi stand lines longer. And, this is JUST the taxis in Minneapolis, it doesn't take into account all the surburban companies that pay to go in and out of the city. So, if there are 323 allowed now, that number will be larger than 700 by the time the other taxi companies come from the suburbs to work downtown also.

I worked in Minneapolis for years. Always seemed to be more taxis than fares. A lot of guys standing around waiting for the "call" to earn some money. With their lease fee to the main company, most made little money unless they took a long fare. They have a lot of turnover also.

Only one making out is the cab company. The drivers, not so much unless they own the cab and sub-let to the main company and collect a percentage also.

There is one company that has all of it's drivers wear tuxes. The also have sedans and limos. This way they can move drivers to what ever they need, whenever. It's alway nice to get a limo driver who smells of insence and has ketchup on his shirt for a night out in style or a AP pickup. What a dispatching headache! Oh, and the limos have taxi radios in them too for the added ombiance!

In a free market service reins supreme. It is a known fact that jurisdictions with one or 2 Taxi Barons have less populated areas underserved & due to caps no way for new entrepreneurs to establish service to these areas. A topic often brought up in Tampa where the Taxi monopoly have roots in Ft Lauderdale under TLPA Taxi Baron Heavy's.

The restraint of trade limo crowd spends dollars for evil ends...
    Dean Schuler

Some regulation is required to insure the public is served. Take the Cable industry. If it were not for some Government regulation, an isolated subdivision on a remote lake like mine would not have cable or even phone service for that matter. Government regulation tells the Cable or Phone company that if you want to serve that densley populated area where you can make "Big Bucks" you also need to service that area where you may not make a profit if you want us to grant you permission to string lines in our Township.

Taxies are regulated to insure that neighborhoods receive the same level of service as the Airport. We in the Limo business still have the option of picking and choosing who we can have as our Customer. The only thing I can see that needs to really be regulated is vehicle safety, insurance and Chauffeur background which for the most part is being addressed.
    David E. Merrill