Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't Serve Two Masters

Limos & Taxis are as Oil & Water, they don't mix. Over & over it is proven that the taxi industry has been through lobbying & payola sticking it to the limo operators of whom many are consider small operations. As this is happening taxi Barons are introducing luxury sedans to their stables.

How taxi Barons are able to accomplish their deeds is strictly inter-twined with the TLPAs mission of keeping regulation on "local" levels. On the local level, it is much easier to wield influence with the politicos through the age old art of payola.

Recent examples of Taxi led attacks on the industry includes the rate increases in Houston, taxi ops imploring Tampa Commissioners to cease issuing permits to intrastate carriers, Nassau's taxi backed TLC putting the screws to Suffolk & NYC for-hires, the fiasco brewing in Detroit, and more recently highlighted in Limo Digest, Colorado operators were on the verge of having a dumb law repealed that requires sedans to have a tv & beverage service. The limo operators were on their way for this repeal when as stated in the article, "that is when the several lobbyist employed by the taxi companies pounced" and the bill was shot down.

What is disturbing or should be to those of us not in the taxi business is the number of limo association heavies in bed with the taxi Barons by direct business connections and their positions on the TLPA Board. Also, who is directing the TLPA TLPAshould give a clue of who is looking out for who. When the taxi payola Houston politicos went after limo rates did the TLPA join in support of the limos? Could it be that the reason they didn't is because a Houston Taxi Baron sits on the TLPA?

The only thing more worthless then the "talk the talk" with no "walk the walk" NLA is the TLPA. The TLPA is a TAXI association period. From time to time in this thread, name by name the "in the bed" relations will be exposed.

Raymond Turner, Greater Houston Transportation Co.
    TLPA Taxi Division Commitee Member
    TLPA Director

Robert McBride, Metro Taxi, Denver
    TLPA Director

William Cotter, Metro Taxi, Denver
    Voting Past President TLPA Board
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Originally posted by gunny:
    Limos & Taxis are as Oil & Water, they don't mix. Over & over it is proven that the taxi industry has been through lobbying & payola sticking it to the limo operators of whom many are consider small operations. As this is happening taxi Barons are introducing luxury sedans to their stables.

How taxi Barons are able to accomplish their deeds is strictly inter-twined with the TLPAs mission of keeping regulation on "local" levels. On the local level, it is much easier to wield influence with the politicos through the age old art of payola.

Recent examples of Taxi led attacks on the industry includes the rate increases in Houston, taxi ops imploring Tampa Commissioners to cease issuing permits to intrastate carriers, Nassau's taxi backed TLC putting the screws to Suffolk & NYC for-hires, the fiasco brewing in Detroit, and more recently highlighted in Limo Digest, Colorado operators were on the verge of having a dumb law repealed that requires sedans to have a tv & beverage service. The limo operators were on their way for this repeal when as stated in the article, "that is when the several lobbyist employed by the taxi companies pounced" and the bill was shot down.

What is disturbing or should be to those of us not in the taxi business is the number of limo association heavies in bed with the taxi Barons by direct business connections and their positions on the TLPA Board. Also, who is directing the TLPA TLPAshould give a clue of who is looking out for who. When the taxi payola Houston politicos went after limo rates did the TLPA join in support of the limos? Could it be that the reason they didn't is because a Houston Taxi Baron sits on the TLPA?

The only thing more worthless then the "talk the talk" with no "walk the walk" NLA is the TLPA. The TLPA is a TAXI association period. From time to time in this thread, name by name the "in the bed" relations will be exposed.

Raymond Turner, Greater Houston Transportation Co.
    TLPA Taxi Division Commitee Member
    TLPA Director

Robert McBride, Metro Taxi, Denver
    TLPA Director

William Cotter, Metro Taxi, Denver
    Voting Past President TLPA Board

The time to fix the roof is not when it's raining

Taxi & limo can co-exist on state and federal levels. When you stop picking fights and start having the people affected sit at the table together, the solutions, or, compromises in many occasions, will come forth. The problem is finding involvement. Eveyone is "too busy" running there business to be involved. And that leaves the door wide open to anyone who *wants* to make a difference.

yeah yeah yeah

but tomorrow no one will know the who the taxi lobbyist is and attempt a dialogue

so it's more of the same

LETS GET IN A BIG FIGHT AND POUND OUR CHESTS WHEN WE WIN

Originally posted by Dr. Gelakeiwicz:

And the Tony Soprano character is a choir boy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dr. Gelakeiwicz:

And the Tony Soprano character is a choir boy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://frankvincent.com/bio.htm
    click on the merchandise and get the t-shirt

The time to fix the roof is not when it's raining

Taxi & limo can co-exist on state and federal levels. When you stop picking fights and start having the people affected sit at the table together, the solutions, or, compromises in many occasions, will come forth.

Dr. Gelakeiwicz with all due respect,the roof has already caved in on this industry many years ago.

Taxi & limo ops can co-exist on state and federal levels. This is dillusional thinking, the same thinking that put this industry in the position it is in now.

The Taxi industry has come at us with a baseball bats crushing this industry, and your answer is to sit across a table and powder their nose's.

You are right Dr. G. "Everyone is too busy to be involved". We are only a punching bag industry held hostage to the local Taxi Barron who calls all the shots. The TLPA knows this, they set up the system to give us the one-two knockout punch.

Originally posted by LimoKnight:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The time to fix the roof is not when it's raining

Taxi & limo can co-exist on state and federal levels. When you stop picking fights and start having the people affected sit at the table together, the solutions, or, compromises in many occasions, will come forth.

Dr. Gelakeiwicz with all due respect,the roof has already caved in on this industry many years ago.

Taxi & limo ops can co-exist on state and federal levels. This is dillusional thinking, the same thinking that put this industry in the position it is in now.

The Taxi industry has come at us with a baseball bats crushing this industry, and your answer is to sit across a table and powder their nose's.

You are right Dr. G. "Everyone is too busy to be involved". We are only a punching bag industry held hostage to the local Taxi Barron who calls all the shots. The TLPA knows this, they set up the system to give us the one-two knockout punch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My answer is to stake out my turf. That doesn't involve powdering noses. It's protecting what I have and letting them have what they have. We have to co-exist. I'd prefer not to roll over and take what they give, but rather let them know what I have and how I'm keeping it. They tried a few things some years ago, we were there and stopped it. Some of it made sense and we compromised to tighten up non-existant regulations. But not as tight as they wanted.
    Stuff like have a trip sheet - not stuff like have a sign that is this size, and a parking lot this size (that woulda put all the home based operators KAPUT!). I agree that they have clout since their industry is older than ours and has been lobbying longer. That's exactly why you would want them on your side, to use their clout - or at least to not object to your proposal with their clout.

Why am I the only one that sees this?

The roof caved in? Do we walk away or fix it?

That's exactly why you would want them on your side, to use their clout - or at least to not object to your proposal with their clout.

Because love is blind?

Ya know Dr. G. brings up agood point here. Many of you ARE just too busy to be concerned with what is really going on around you, untill some one steps on YOUR Toes and then you scream "bloody murder".

Many right here in this forum have told me that if I spent as much time running my business as I spend at the key board, I would probably make a lot more money. I probably would but I am interested in what is really going on.

Unlike my Colleagues to the south, In the area I serve, there is not a lot of work. We have no real industry other than farming and tourest so I have a lot of time on my hands to do research and keep an "eye" on things. I know all my local politicians and they know me. Because of this, I may have just a little more influence in Lansing than the multi million dollar operator who does not even know who the vice President is let alone his local state Rep.

You Guys need to get involved with you Government if you want things to go your way. Get to know your Congresmen, State and local Reps. Kick in a few Bucks now and then, money talks ans BS walks. The Guys that are making things happen that affect your evey day operation are already in Bed with the Guys who make the laws. It time you tell them to move over because you are crawling in.
    David E. Merrill

Originally posted by David Merrill:
    You Guys need to get involved with you Government if you want things to go your way. Get to know your Congresmen, State and local Reps. Kick in a few Bucks now and then, money talks ans BS walks. The Guys that are making things happen that affect your evey day operation are already in Bed with the Guys who make the laws. It time you tell them to move over because you are crawling in.
    Yeah & if the U.S. coverted to Muslim the terrorist will leave us alone also.

Allow me to expand a little on the fantasy statements of Dr Bad Commercial & Michigan David.

Now this is just an example David so don't take it literally:

David runs a transportation service in Davidville, Michigan. This is a small community of 150k residents including 2 dozen cows. The nearest transportation hub is in the happening city of Detroit some 90 miles from Davidville. All around Detroit there are many Davidvilles that are experiencing rapid growth as Detroit residents seek greener pastures.

Now the Detroit cabbies are slowly watching the population & customer base drop & at the same time notice that more & more transportation services are entering Detroit to provide intrastate transportation to the former Detroit residents who have moved on to Davidvilles. The cabbies want a piece of this action & start complaining in unison to the Detroit politicos that all of these motor carriers from towns like Davidville are taking business away from them. So the politicos realizing that this is a block of voters they want on election day start restricting through ordinances Davidville type carriers from entering Detroit to provide return transfers. The Davidville carriers protest to the Detroit politicos but are told, "sorry son, like to help you, but you don't vote in my district, so pi$$ off".

You pay off the thieves, I'll pay attorneys to take the thieves to court.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dr. Gelakeiwicz:
    That's exactly why you would want them on your side, to use their clout - or at least to not object to your proposal with their clout.

Because love is blind? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good one!
    I'll get it into the rotation.
    Opinions are like .... and I got one too.

Allow me to expand a little on the fantasy statements of Dr Bad Commercial & Michigan David.

Now this is just an example David so don't take it literally:

David runs a transportation service in Davidville, Michigan. This is a small community of 150k residents including 2 dozen cows. The nearest transportation hub is in the happening city of Detroit some 90 miles from Davidville. All around Detroit there are many Davidvilles that are experiencing rapid growth as Detroit residents seek greener pastures.

Now the Detroit cabbies are slowly watching the population & customer base drop & at the same time notice that more & more transportation services are entering Detroit to provide intrastate transportation to the former Detroit residents who have moved on to Davidvilles. The cabbies want a piece of this action & start complaining in unison to the Detroit politicos that all of these motor carriers from towns like Davidville are taking business away from them. So the politicos realizing that this is a block of voters they want on election day start restricting through ordinances Davidville type carriers from entering Detroit to provide return transfers. The Davidville carriers protest to the Detroit politicos but are told, "sorry son, like to help you, but you don't vote in my district, so pi$$ off".

You pay off the thieves, I'll pay attorneys to take the thieves to court.
    First of all it was not a bad commercial - it was classic. Not everyone gets it. They're too young.

Re: Davidville
    You mention about halfway thru the cabbies complaining in unison to politicos. That's the relationship you also need to combat the issue. Organized limo people that know ~their politico.
    Are there no operators that speak between Detroit & Davidville? No relationships there to share and stand up for what they already have?

The scenario you propose sounds like isolation has already occured.
    What's the cure for isolation?
    there's your answer.

just another opinion waitin for NASCAR TO START in Michigan!

First of all it was not a bad commercial - it was classic. Not everyone gets it. They're too young.
    Cool commercial until I heard that line a few thousand times as a DIB waiting for clients at Lag & JFK. Sort of like hearing "I will survive" being sung KARAOKE for the 10k time.

Davidville? Happening today in Tampa. The cure, a Federal Lawsuit.

Say it isn't so!!!

As reported, last year the cabbies in Houston paid off the politicos to raise the limo/sedan rates. Why???? Well maybe this is one reason:

www.yellowcabhouston.com/townecar.php

Now a Director of the TLPA & Taxi Division Committee Member owns or is in with the Greater Houston Transportation Co. GOOGLE this company & see who the parent company of Yellow Cab is or to save time just simply scroll down the yellow cab page & read the bottom right..

Seems as though the cabbies want to do luxury sedan transportation without the minimums forced on the limo industry. Surprise, Surprise....

Again, why does the TLPA want to keep regulation on the local level? So they can pay off the local politicos & drive the rest of the transportation industry into the ground!!!

And what is the impotent National Limousine Association going to do about it? Offer more Staples type discounts?

Boycott both of these worthless associations!!!

Where is Dr Beer Commercial when needed? Would love to hear him tell the limo folks again how they should hold hands with the taxi folks & sing Kum Bah Yah & Everything Is Beautiful.

A story link worth repeating about the TLPA Treasurer:

http://newtimesbpb.com/issues/1999-05-13/news.html